smr450 screaching clutch

took my smr450 out today for the 1st time , when i let out the clutch there is a screaching noise coming from the engine , once the bike is moving it stops, anybody any ideas whats the problem. I've had hundreds of bikes but never come accross this before ?

Worn/slipping clutch plates maybe? I have a rekluse in my bike right now and it just started doing that and I'm pretty sure it's because my friction plates need to be replaced.

i've just dropped the oil and it reminded me of rat p*ss , i'm goin on a fuel protest run tomoz in Manchester so see how it goes ?

My 07 525 exc does it too. I asked the dealer and they said it may be related to the oil. I had an 05 525 exc and it never did it. I have supermoto wheels that I run on this one and never rode my 05 on the street or run totally synthetic oil in it, only the Motorex blend. I ran mobil in my 07 when it was new and only run Motorex synthetic in it now. I have not had a chance to replace the clutch and see if it goes away. I picked up a vibration and found out that I warped the pressure plate. I replaced it and the vibration is gone but the squeal still exists. I think that it has something to do with the clutch plates being metal to metal at both ends of the clutch pack. It would be nice to see if you find a solution. Changing brands of oil doesn't change anything. At least I've found someone else with the same problem.

Keep us posted!

Good Luck!

STS.

My 03 525EXC does it too, I've read up on it on KTMtalk and found that it's not really an issue, just the nature of the beast, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If its got clean oil, isn't slipping, and is shifting fine, I'd leave it.

thanx guys , i changed the oil yesterday so ill see how it is today ,it is not slipping and shifting is the smoothest i have ever known ?

My 07 525 exc does it too. I asked the dealer and they said it may be related to the oil. I had an 05 525 exc and it never did it. I have supermoto wheels that I run on this one and never rode my 05 on the street or run totally synthetic oil in it, only the Motorex blend. I ran mobil in my 07 when it was new and only run Motorex synthetic in it now. I have not had a chance to replace the clutch and see if it goes away. I picked up a vibration and found out that I warped the pressure plate. I replaced it and the vibration is gone but the squeal still exists. I think that it has something to do with the clutch plates being metal to metal at both ends of the clutch pack. It would be nice to see if you find a solution. Changing brands of oil doesn't change anything. At least I've found someone else with the same problem.

Keep us posted!

Good Luck!

I notice a slight vibration when clutch is out but goes when i pull it in.I am using Motorex Cross Power 4t , think this is the recomended oil for the beast , ill let u know later how it is :-)

• 2 weeks later...

My 03 525mxc just started doing this shortly after a new piston, rings and two new intake valves. I thought it might be related but after reading the replies it sounds

like warped or glazed clutch plates. The harmonic noise

goes away when my bike is leaned to the right or if I push on the clutch cover slightly. I don't agree with the comment about it being the nature of the beast. My bike never made any odd noises until recently. So something changed. I intend on riding it once more, then I will inspect the clutch thouroghly. Thanks, I thought I was looking at something more expensive.