Sign in to follow this  

Need R6 engine help.... pictures

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65522

Here are some pictures. Engine experts hows it look? 1 and 4 don't look near as good as 2 and 3. My head? Hows the valves look?

P1010001-4.jpg

P1010002-3.jpg

P1010003-6.jpg

P1010007-4.jpg

P1010009-3.jpg

Taking the cylinder off this things looks like a complete bitch. And I thought working on my 250F was a pain..

Please read the link at the top to get my symptoms. Any help is appreciated.

-Jay

I know nothing about streetbikes, but I wish you the best of luck and hopefully fix your problems. You're always super helpful here and you deserve the help.

It looks like you may need a new set of rings. Look like 1 and 4 are getting oil blow by. Still have a nice crosshatch in the cylinder. Head looks fine but can't really tell much from pics. Check and see if the valves are in spec, should be with a street bike though unless you rev the living piss out of it 24/7. Just clean up the head and the new rings should take care of that nasty crap on top of piston 1 and 4. Looks like it's running lean too judging by the spark plugs.. but maybe street bikes do for emissions?

My .02

What year is it? If its EFI you may want to check to see if the injectors are clogged for the 2nd and 3rd cylinders. How many miles are on it, if its over 5000 then 1 and 4 arent in too bad of shape. Your valves look really odd because 1 and 4 dont match and then 2&3 are also different.

If it happened suddenly is it possible the cam chain has jumped a tooth?

Your compression was ok. Why did you pull the head? Since you are this far go ahead and pull the cylinder and check the mains. How was the valve clearance?

I am guessing since you pulled the tank there was gas in it..........

Stop using cheap gas. Or use a fuel injector cleaner that has the additive to help clean your valve's. Unless your bike has the milage of mine(40,000) your valve's should not be that dirty imo.

Not sure about your bikes ignition set up but most in line 4s have 2 coil packs. 1&4 and 2&3

Looks like 1&4 might be taking a poop.

A compression test would have saved you tons of work and would have given you more accurate information than pulling the head and looking at it.

What I would have done is: Checked spark strength, swap around coils to eliminate those, pull carbs and perform a thorough cleaning, check for a vacuum leak, check cam chain slack and adjust if needed. If you narrowed it down to a specific cylinder you can swap out the coils or fuel injectors to find the faulty one. THEN, if all else fails, perform a compression test.

I had a miss in my ZX6R once. I narrowed it down to cyl 1. Swapped out coils, no difference. Pulled carb bowls, had a wad of crap in No 1 bowl. Cleaned all the bowls out and she ran as good as new.

First you are insane for yarding the head off that bike without more info. Do you have any clue how to properly re-install the cam chain and adjust the valves? Ok. Aside from that the 2005 R6 is VERY common for coil failures. The spark burns through the plug boot and arcs against the inside of the cylinder head. Causes loss of power, and a loud ticking noise. Post pics of the coils and boots. Look for white streaks and carbon tracking on the coil and boots themselves.

Thanks a ton guys, I will respond when I have more time when I get home.

First you are insane for yarding the head off that bike without more info. Do you have any clue how to properly re-install the cam chain and adjust the valves? Ok. Aside from that the 2005 R6 is VERY common for coil failures. The spark burns through the plug boot and arcs against the inside of the cylinder head. Causes loss of power, and a loud ticking noise. Post pics of the coils and boots. Look for white streaks and carbon tracking on the coil and boots themselves.

Not insane, Just love working on bikes and never torn into a street bike before. Yes, I do.

Yes, I will post pictures of the coils and boots.

since you have cross hatching still visible on 2&3 im guessing you dont have a whole lot of miles.

the head looks fine. so does the pistons/block.

if you do rings be sure to knock that ring ridge out!

put it back together and check for bad coils/ loss of spark, then check intake manifold gaskets, clean fuel injectors or carbs....and quit using 87!! there is a reason they say 91+!

check for a vacuum leak.

and quit using 87!! there is a reason they say 91+!

Oh yeah? Enlighten us. This should be interesting.

Jaycycle how is it going? Did you inspect those coils yet?

being that the compression ratio on a new bike.... i 13.1:1 on a new model and 12.8:1 on an '05 i have to say that using 87 could be causing the gunky build up on the top of the pistons. this is caused by knocking or detonation, wich does NOT burn the fuel completely.

but the gunk could also be from blown or stuck rings. fubar rings would lead to a bunch of other problems like not holding the compression. blue/black smoke, using oil.

but i am leaning towards a ignition, fuel delivery, or a intake manifold gasket/ vacuum leak.

but im only an engineer...i dont work on these tiny engines much.:thumbsup:

being that the compression ratio on a new bike.... i 13.1:1 on a new model and 12.8:1 on an '05 i have to say that using 87 could be causing the gunky build up on the top of the pistons. this is caused by knocking or detonation, wich does NOT burn the fuel completely.

but the gunk could also be from blown or stuck rings. fubar rings would lead to a bunch of other problems like not holding the compression. blue/black smoke, using oil.

but i am leaning towards a ignition, fuel delivery, or a intake manifold gasket/ vacuum leak.

but im only an engineer...i dont work on these tiny engines much.:thumbsup:

Octane has ZERO to do with build up, as a stand alone item. Sportbikes are different than cars. The cyl head, cams, and scavenging all work sooo well on a sportbike that detonation almost never occurs. I have often run my race bikes on 87 pump gas with no problems and because lower octane fuels burn differently actually made more power than 92. In fact most of the race fuels we use (VP 4.2, Sunoco GT, R Tech Pro V1) are all quite low octane fuels. Again because detonation is not a problem and octane DOES NOT produce power.

Thanks everyone I appreciate the help. Sorry for the belated response I have been crazy with work and school. It looks like faulty coils. Cylinder 2 and 4 aren't firing. I'll letcha know when I get this sucker going.

• Like 1

I was wrong. Blown motor, whole bottom end is fried. Crank, rods, etc etc. Been down since April 1st :thumbsup:. We decided to have the shop do the rebuild. Parts should be in today and hopefully get this thing going again soon.

What happened to the bottom end? What symptoms promted you to tear the bike apart?

My GUESS is that when the clutch blew on me a few weeks prior, I didn't get all of the pieces of the shattered plates and that blocked an oil screen/filter. Therefore lack of oil being delivered. Not sure, I haven't actually seen all the rummage. When they started it at the shop right off the bat he said its something internal (mainly due to sound).

They are such numbnuts sometimes. Thank god they help me out a ton ($$$) but I get a call today saying they forgot to order a connecting rod (got all the parts in yesterday). Now they have to wait for that to come in and THEN order the bearing for it (something about matching numbers on the new rod with the needed bearing??).