shifting help

i have a 1996 dr650 with 16,000 miles. it has jumpted out of second gear since new. late last year i filed the clutch basket. now it does not creep or jump out of second until it reaches high rpm, then it often skips or jumps. i have been able to make it jump often by just letting it rev and just before power fall of it will jump out. before it would jump at mostly low or middle rpms right after shifting?. yesterday i changed gearing (1 tooth smaller front) and i have not been able to make it jump in 80 miles of trying? do i need a clutch basket?

i have a 1996 dr650 with 16,000 miles. it has jumpted out of second gear since new. late last year i filed the clutch basket. now it does not creep or jump out of second until it reaches high rpm, then it often skips or jumps. i have been able to make it jump often by just letting it rev and just before power fall of it will jump out. before it would jump at mostly low or middle rpms right after shifting?. yesterday i changed gearing (1 tooth smaller front) and i have not been able to make it jump in 80 miles of trying? do i need a clutch basket?

Jumping out of gear normally points to a shifting drum detent and/or shifting fork issue. Clutch and gearing both have an effect on load through the gear engagement dogs so your results may be a bit misleading. ?

i think i have found the problem. i went back to the stock front sprocket. and when i set the chain tension it wasn't in the original notch. i had been running on about 25mm of free play (instead of 30mm-45mm). i have ridden about 40 mile and i haven't been able to make it jump out yet. has any one else run there chain to tight and notice any shifting problems?

My chain is adjusted right, but mine jumps out of second when I clutch up a wheelie. Its fine under hard power, just jumps out when I wheelie.

I'm going to try some synthetic oil, if that don't work, I'll probably end up replacing a shift fork this winter.