Own a 2008 TE, what color is your spark plug?

I have never had a carbureted dirt bike that yielded a tan insulator on the spark plug. Even my last two TE's with the JD jet kit still had black plugs, though the bikes ran awesome.

I just rode my TE310 again after getting it back from the dealer and it certainly appears to run perfectly. I checked the plug expecting to see that mythical tan insulator that has eluded me all my life. Much to my surprise I found quite the black plug. The bike runs well enough that I don't really care and with only 15 miles on the darn thing, it is time to stop testing and hit the trails.

But given that these bikes are EFI, have any other 2008 TE owners checked their plugs? What color are they?

I won't have a chance to really ride my TE310 until this weekend at a 100 mile dual sport ride. I'll post pics and a full write up next Sunday.

Greg

IMHO: Doing a plug check on a fourstroke is not like on a two stroke. The insulator tip will not reveal as much as you would think, unless you put in a brand new plug, start the bike, and ride it at one rpm for a few minutes, under load. When you let off the throttle, the unburned gasses and deposits build up on the plug, which is not what you want to read. Even then, it will be dependent on your motor break in (rings seated in correctly?), gas quality, how much you oil your air filter, over fill your oil ,etc.

Let how it performs at half throttle and more be your guide.

Greg, it sounds like she might be running rich? When you get back, have Jeff hook her up to the iBeat software. Mine was running really rich and I had the black stuff too. Now...not so much!

David

PS How's the weather in the sand box?

Greg, it sounds like she might be running rich? When you get back, have Jeff hook her up to the iBeat software. Mine was running really rich and I had the black stuff too. Now...not so much!

David

Jeff had the bike for a couple days last week. I have never fouled a plug on a four stroke ever so I think I'll just ride it this weekend for 100 miles, put a fresh plug in and see how it looks. As others have mentioned, it sounds like reading a plug is a bit iffy at best.

I hope to ride at least every other weekend from here on out so I should rack up the miles pretty quickly.

Looking forward to some Husky get togethers this summer.

Greg

David

You're probably right but I don't know the bike well enough to notice anything particular that says it's running way too rich outside of the sparky getting sooted up. I'll have to go see Jeff like you said. It's funny you mention yours was running rich because I now remember smelling gas (the unleaded kind:p ) when following you on the last trip to Reiter. Figured it was from a vent or something but it was always after you braaaaaaped the throttle. hmmmmmmmm.

We're busting 100 F every day but the nights are lo-mid 70's and the dirt's blowing every afternoon. I wouldn't notice it all if I had the 'ol Husky here:busted: . Just planning my next mods and maintenance stuff to do when she and I are reunited! Ride Safe, Cheers!

You're probably right but I don't know the bike well enough to notice anything particular that says it's running way too rich outside of the sparky getting sooted up. I'll have to go see Jeff like you said. It's funny you mention yours was running rich because I now remember smelling gas (the unleaded kind:p ) when following you on the last trip to Reiter. Figured it was from a vent or something but it was always after you braaaaaaped the throttle. hmmmmmmmm.

We're busting 100 F every day but the nights are lo-mid 70's and the dirt's blowing every afternoon. I wouldn't notice it all if I had the 'ol Husky here:busted: . Just planning my next mods and maintenance stuff to do when she and I are reunited! Ride Safe, Cheers!

1) Where do you live in Washington that get's you 100 degree days? Western Wa has been cold and wet.

2) I too have a tough time with seat of the pants EFI evaluation. Right off the bat my TE300 was way too lean but now it feels fine, just a black plug which to me says rich. As long as it runs okay this weekend I'll probably just now worry.

Greg

1) Where do you live in Washington that get's you 100 degree days? Western Wa has been cold and wet.

2) I too have a tough time with seat of the pants EFI evaluation. Right off the bat my TE300 was way too lean but now it feels fine, just a black plug which to me says rich. As long as it runs okay this weekend I'll probably just now worry.

Greg

Greg,

I'm stationed at Ft. Lewis and currently deployed to the middle east. Was home on leave last month and got a few rides in and still don't really know the bike very well. Should be back for good in a couple months. Definitely have to have a Husky day with you guys after getting back. This is my first Husky, 1st fuel injected motorcycle and biggest dirt bike I've ever ridden. Lots of learning on my end, just ask Fitness2go, Ride, Oldbones, and BTC as they've all witnessed my learning curve!?

Greg

Greg,

I'm stationed at Ft. Lewis and currently deployed to the middle east. Was home on leave last month and got a few rides in and still don't really know the bike very well. Should be back for good in a couple months. Definitely have to have a Husky day with you guys after getting back. This is my first Husky, 1st fuel injected motorcycle and biggest dirt bike I've ever ridden. Lots of learning on my end, just ask Fitness2go, Ride, Oldbones, and BTC as they've all witnessed my learning curve!:busted:

Greg

Stay safe!

Sounds like you'll be back in time for the good summer riding. ?

Greg

its kinda of a white ceramic thing and has some weird numbers written on it but that part is hidden by the plug wire boot and has a metal colored end and metal hex type deal to screw it into the cylinder head. overall its white and metal colored.........................................

sorry guys I could not help it

with race gas brownish ,with a little spotting. With pump gas mostly black but dry.

its kinda of a white ceramic thing and has some weird numbers written on it but that part is hidden by the plug wire boot and has a metal colored end and metal hex type deal to screw it into the cylinder head. overall its white and metal colored.........................................

sorry guys I could not help it

with race gas brownish ,with a little spotting. With pump gas mostly black but dry.

Good one ?

Yes as George & Eddie over in the jetting TT section have indicated - multiple times over the years - color does not mean a whole lot because of the "wonderful new and improved" fuels....