What's the longest trip on a XRL

What's the longest trip you have rode on your XRL650.

I did a 880 mile trip on my XL600 and only stopped for fuel and food.

Total the trip was 2100 miles. I hear people complain that the big thumpers suck for a road trip but it has never been a problem for me.

I usually try an map out a secondary rode an not the freeway.

Much more fun that way. I got another trip planned this summer to go visit my nephews in Idaho. It should be fun, I'm going by myself. I'm my own best friend. LOL

I did 700 miles in 3 days and my only complaint is that I get a bit numb/sore after 80-100 miles from the seat but you have to get gas anyway then, so it worked out fine.

One of these days I want to get a sheep skin to strap over it for longer rides like that.

Sheepskin and bicycle shorts (well and pants too:busted: ) I imagine that would help a lot.

Just took a 10 day trip to British Columbia and put over 2k on the Honda. Here's a pic of her all loaded up on the first day, 400+ miles from Prince Rupert to Prince George, unfortunately all on the road.

DSCN4324.jpg

My buddy and I rode the Barkerville Trail, a snowmobile/ATV trail from Prince George to Wells that's around 100+ miles long. When I hit the next gas station, my trip meter read 149.5 miles and there was still gas left in my 4.7 gallon tank! We were the ONLY motorcycles on the trail!

DSCN4359.jpg

DSCN4334.jpg

So I would say that the XRL can do long trips....Just have to stop more often...

You got me excited about my trip to Idaho after looking at the scenery of your last adventure. I'm still getting my bike setup for the ride with a new rack I built and some soft bags. I like the tool kit that you have mounted on the front fender.

I forgot who the poster was, but last month one of the guys here picked up an L and rode it from the LA area to Texas, around Houston, I think. That ride is over 1,000 miles. I expect he'll chime in here in a little while. So far the longest distance I've ridden the L has been about 250 miles, but the thought of going further has crossed my mind.

-Joe

My buddy and I rode the Barkerville Trail, a snowmobile/ATV trail from Prince George to Wells that's around 100+ miles long. When I hit the next gas station, my trip meter read 149.5 miles and there was still gas left in my 4.7 gallon tank! We were the ONLY motorcycles on the trail!

DSCN4359.jpg

...it always helps when ur buddy is piloting a "supertanker" (KLR).

looks like a nice ride...?

:busted:

I rode my xr650l a little over 9K on a trip through Mexico last summer. The longest day was was on the way home, 715mi from Mesa AZ to near Bridgeport CA. Lots of slab riding with some fun dirt thrown in. It was an awesome trip I will not soon forget. The xrl will take you as far as your hands and rear can stand. Here is a pick of my bike in Baja.

IMG_4397.JPG

I rode my xr650l a little over 9K on a trip through Mexico last summer. The longest day was was on the way home, 715mi from Mesa AZ to near Bridgeport CA. Lots of slab riding with some fun dirt thrown in. It was an awesome trip I will not soon forget. The xrl will take you as far as your hands and rear can stand. Here is a pick of my bike in Baja.

IMG_4397.JPG

WOW! 9K miles. I have a few questions:

1. how did the bike run with the gas in Mexico? Any problems like fouling a plug?

2. any other problems with the bike, mechanical or electrical?

3. if you were going to do a long distance trip again with this bike, what would you change, add or remove?

I went from San Francisco to Cabo San Lucas in 4 days riding about 400 mi. a day, and then spent a month and a half coming back:ride:

Total trip was about 4500 miles with the last day from the border back home being the longest - 800 mi. After the first couple days the butt gets use to it, but I also wear shorts with the little kotex pad sewn into them under my jeans and that makes a huge difference. They are like bicycle shorts, but cut a little different for motorcycles.

P.S. - Just FYI the 4g IMS tank is not big enough for Baja.

When I was in college I rode my XR650L from Whidbey Island, in Washington State to Estes Park, Colorado. I worked at Rocky Mtn. National Park all summer, and rode the bike back to college in Ellensburg.

Washington - Oregon - Idaho - Montana - Wyoming - Colorado

Colorado - Wyoming - Montana - Idaho- Oregon - Washington

This was pre-GPS so I had to carry a shitload of maps. I did a fair amount of dirt sections on the trip. A real long section through the Sawtooths in Idaho and another section in western Wyoming.

Just thinking about it makes me want to get another XRL.

I went from San Francisco to Cabo San Lucas in 4 days riding about 400 mi. a day, and then spent a month and a half coming back:ride:

Total trip was about 4500 miles with the last day from the border back home being the longest - 800 mi. After the first couple days the butt gets use to it, but I also wear shorts with the little kotex pad sewn into them under my jeans and that makes a huge difference. They are like bicycle shorts, but cut a little different for motorcycles.

Where do you get the pants with the kotex pad? My butt gets real sore too,I've thought about sticking some foam under my jeans but the shorts with the pad is a great idea.

I went to Sears Point Raceway (now Infineon?) and back from Reno once (about 800 roundtrip). I put in 6 pounds of air in the fork to stop the front end dive and it worked great. We took all two lane roads. The two other guys were on a VTR 1000 and VFR 800. I kicked their behinds when we were in twisties, it was awesome!!

What kind of range were you getting out of 4 gallons? Was this on an 'L'? What size of tank would you have preferred?

this is this...

I have a CLarke 4.0, and the other day I tested it.

At 120 miles, it hit the "first" reserve. At 140 it hit the "second" reserve.

The second reserve is when you have to lay the bike over on its left side to transfer from the right side to the left. That then lasted 15 miles.

So thats about 155-160 miles of handfulls of throttle riding!

I picked the 4.0 because the 4.7 just looks like a big tumor.

DSCN4359.jpg

...it always helps when ur buddy is piloting a "supertanker" (KLR).

looks like a nice ride...?

:busted:

Yeah, there sure was no need to worry about running out of gas! That thing is a tank, but he rocked it on the trails, even though he did drop her in one of the creek crossings...hehe

IMG_4397.JPG

this is a nice setup you have there ! what are those plastic side bags ?