I want a XR400 - easy to plate in CA?

I have come across some bikes on here and on craigs list and I want an XR400. My friends have them and seems like everyone says it is a great solid bike.

The thing is I know that I will be using it on the road as well. So I want to dual sport it. Is it easy to get a plate for it so that it is street legal in CA?

You state that you have perused Craigs List for XR400's.

Your posting states that you live in California.

I do not know where in CA, or how far you are willing to go for a 400.

In my search for CA street plated XR4's. I have found Craigs List in San Francisco Bay Area, Inland Empire, Orange County to have the most XR4's listed.

I sourced one in LA recently with a CA plate and an electric starter. I needed it in Sacramento. I could not arrange to personally transport it, so I listed it on "U-Ship" and it was bid at $200 or so for the move!

Be thankful that you are in CA while looking for a street plated bike. In the Northwest, they are very rare! And Oregon and Washington seem to have adopted CA rules about what can be plated.............IE emissions sticker.

As mentioned above, You should be looking for one with a plate already. There was a time when you could add the plate yourself, but those days are gone. You will have to be willing to drive some distance to get one. I had to drive 188 miles (total) to get mine, but it was worth it.

Can you import one plated from another state?

Example could you take my Texas titled xr4 (which does not say "off road use only" any longer) it was removed when D/S and re titled.

Could you take that title and get a Ca title & plate these days?

I have a plated XR400 that I paid $3500 for about a year ago. I still see them all the time on Craigslist for anywhere between $2500 and $4000 (and yes, plated). Just keep checking Los Angeles, Ventura, and Orange counties. So far I just love mine. I ride from Simi Valley to Castaic on pavement, then lots of trails, and pavement back. My average ride is about 100 to 150 miles, and the bike just goes. I do feel wierd driving down the 118 freeway in full motocross gear. I get a lot of strange looks.

Good Luck!

Can you import one plated from another state?

Example could you take my Texas titled xr4 (which does not say "off road use only" any longer) it was removed when D/S and re titled.

Could you take that title and get a Ca title & plate these days?

No......The DMV runs the vin #. If the is an 8 or a C in the third spot they say sorry......

It does not matter if it has been plated in another state or not.

The only way to get a legally plated dirt bike in CA is to buy on that was registered before 2004.

No......The DMV runs the vin #. If the is an 8 or a C in the third spot they say sorry......

It does not matter if it has been plated in another state or not.

The only way to get a legally plated dirt bike in CA is to buy on that was registered before 2004.

I believe it’s a 3 or C in 8th digit - and XR's won't have one because that only signals a bike as red sticker. Definitely a bust. As for the rest of what people will tell you, it's all up to you on what to do. Legal? Not since 04. Doable? Sure is. Check the sticky on the DS thread. That’s where I got all my info....& my plate.

You know what pisses me off about this whole thing is all the Harleys out there running staight pipes, and lets not even talk about the noise. On top of that, what about just plain old road worthiness. I would rather be riding down the road on any dirt bike than a Harley with no suspension, 5' forks and ape hanger handlebars. I'm not knocking it (hell anything on 2 wheels is OK by me), but it just does not seem safe to me. I wonder if they have to jump through hoops to get their bikes registered too?

I just got my 02 xr 400 plated in ca. & a friend just plated a 2005 400 ktm

This has been beaten to death. Ignore posts like this because it is legally not doable anymore. Flat out, YOU CANNOT DO IT and it's not even worth the time debating. I don't even know why people debate it. Do they forget???

In case you didn't know, YOU CANNOT PLATE IT IN CALIFORNIA ANYMORE!

Look for one that is already plated.

I thought so too, but just 2 week ago I rode with a guy who just got through plating a brand new CRF450. I think if you get lucky, it might be possible, but I bet it is a pain in the ass. I will be curious to see if he gets to keep his plates.

This has been beaten to death. Ignore posts like this because it is legally not doable anymore. Flat out, YOU CANNOT DO IT and it's not even worth the time debating. I don't even know why people debate it. Do they forget???

In case you didn't know, YOU CANNOT PLATE IT IN CALIFORNIA ANYMORE!

Look for one that is already plated.

yea, So you think I'm a liar

I will be curious to see if he gets to keep his plates.

Maybe for a little while. Don't be surprised if during registration renewal, you find only the GREEN or RED sticker option and a letter to turn in your plate. It is currently happening.