Sign in to follow this  

DR tail light

I'm sure it is a common problem, but just wanted to bitch. the mounting bracket split just behind the mounting bolts. what have you guys done to repair this? I know there is after market stuff. anything creative?

So, you run dual tail lights now? Or is one a brake light only?

Something like this:

12.jpg

Mine snapped recently. Kientech to the rescue! No longer have issues with carrying things on the rack and pushing on the stock tail light!

Ok dumb question... So are you taking a taillight off of a drz250 and putting it on the dr650? Or am I big dummy?

Ok dumb question... So are you taking a taillight off of a drz250 and putting it on the dr650? Or am I big dummy?

Yes, the DRZ250 tail light is a bolt on for the DR650SE.

Yep, and to rub it in, we in europe, get the DRz250 taillight as default on our bikes.

I'm gonna pile on........Fender tail light off a DRZ250......mine is from an 02 DRZ250....here's pics with the DRZ tail light and the licence plate light from Kientech........

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=50358

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=56099

Here's mine. Tail light from Keintech and home made license plate light bracket.

DSC00786.jpg

WRW7255,

I would like to see pics of the underside of your license plate bracket.

It appears to be made up from the original. Looks good.

withiam

One more on the dog pile, The DR250 Taillight is the shiznit :thumbsup:

I bought mine on Bike Bandit for like 40 Bones heres the link http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/suzuki-motorcycle-drz250k2-2002-rear-combination-lamp/o/m5895sch235479

But then of course you have to get rid of that anchor on the back holding your tag :busted: So I called up Multisurface Motorcycling and got me a tag holer w/ light http://www.multisurfacemotorcycling.com/products/drprod.htm

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=61639

WRW7255,

I would like to see pics of the underside of your license plate bracket.

It appears to be made up from the original. Looks good.

withiam

That was an old picture. Took some new ones this morning.I have modified it a bit due to some cracking of the sheet metal around the bolts. I made a new bracket and sandwiched the mounting flange with rubber and reinforced it with an aluminum strip. it. I also flipped the bracket around so that the light was more under the fender. Hopefully this solves the problem. I'll keep an eye on it. You may want to experiment with other materials. (Note I also used the rubber block that was on the ugly extended fender between the fender and the license plate light for a little more support)

DSC00900.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

WRW7255,

Thanks for the response. I think I'll experiment with my stock parts before I go aftermarket. The stock tail light has to be replaced though.

withiam

I was giving a friends boy a ride this evening and she was driving behind me. She said that I was pretty hard to see with just the tail light.

Anyone have any reccomendations for a second tail light? Maybe an LED light I can mount above my L plate or something? I'd like to get one of those that flash when the brake light is lit up.