Sign in to follow this  

Airbox question

Hello,

This DRZ400SM we are currently working on appears to have had some sort of hole cut in the top of it. Its the 3inch by 3 inch hole that I have read up about on here. It appears the owner has taken off his 39mm carb and put the stock one back on. We have a new airbox here that we were going to chuck on her.

I havea CLYMER manuel here but it doesn't tell you how to get the airbox out. Has anyone ever replaced an airbox? some pointers would be great...Also if we were to put the standard carb,standard pipe and leave to hole would the bike run poo??

Somone tell us how to get the airbox out!!!! Help!!! :thumbsup:

.Also if we were to put the standard carb,standard pipe and leave to hole would the bike run poo??

I think it would be too lean... until you re-jetted it. (which you will do :thumbsup:)

Maybe just tape up the 3x3 to about 1x3 until you get your cheap jetting kit.

I won't be getting a jetting kit, The bike is just going to be put back to standard ant then sold..Mate of mine got it cheap on ebay as it had a bit of damage on it...damaged now fixed just tryinf to return it to normal

Hello,

This DRZ400SM we are currently working on appears to have had some sort of hole cut in the top of it. Its the 3inch by 3 inch hole that I have read up about on here. It appears the owner has taken off his 39mm carb and put the stock one back on. We have a new airbox here that we were going to chuck on her.

I havea CLYMER manuel here but it doesn't tell you how to get the airbox out. Has anyone ever replaced an airbox? some pointers would be great...Also if we were to put the standard carb,standard pipe and leave to hole would the bike run poo??

Somone tell us how to get the airbox out!!!! Help!!! :thumbsup:

Seat, rear sub frame, air box. Reverse to install.

Assuming the previous owner jetted the current carb to run with the 3x3 air box mod. It will not run well once the new restricted air box is installed.

You can jet it back to stock.. or you can leave the air box as it is and make sure it is jetted correctly. 50/50 as to which way a potential new owner might want it.. Stock unmolested, or slightly modified running better then stock.

I removed my airbox and replaced it with a Kientech box. As I recall, the rear tire came off, seat off, and two frame bolts so the rear frame would swing up out of the way. Same procedure as if you were getting into the carb to rejet it. Hope this helps! tom

I removed my airbox and replaced it with a Kientech box. As I recall, the rear tire came off, seat off, and two frame bolts so the rear frame would swing up out of the way. Same procedure as if you were getting into the carb to rejet it. Hope this helps! tom

No need to remove the rear wheel :thumbsup:

(and no need to remove the subframe to get to the carb, but that is another thread :busted: )

Hey Bronco, how about that? Must be a few years since I was last here and thought I'd drop in to see what's new. Good to see you still around, as moderator no less! Last time we chatted you were in Washington. Take care! tom

Hey Bronco, how about that? Must be a few years since I was last here and thought I'd drop in to see what's new. Good to see you still around, as moderator no less! Last time we chatted you were in Washington. Take care! tom

Thank you sir.. :thumbsup::busted:

And same to you.

Ya it's been awhile.. Washington,, must have been summer time.. ......seems like forever ago.

And ya, some time in 2003 the B's screwed up and gave me a set of keys.... (though I did notice not a master key, just a limited access set,, so that tells me they are smarter then I gave them credit for)

You still ridding a DRZ?

Mr Brightside.. another option,,,is leave it as is, and offer the new buyer the option of having it put back to stock (or put it back to stock and offer to install the "jetted version setup" might make a sale that way you otherwise might not.

Yes, still have the same '03 DRZ400S with all the mods. Don't get out hardly at all, so I flipped the Deathwings back on and cruise the neighborhood a couple times a year. Pretty boring but that's life. Nice thing though, bike is still like new! Except for all those scratches and broke off stuff. Low miles, I mean to say.

Last I remember you were installing hot cams and I think a big cylinder kit.

Last I remember you were installing hot cams and I think a big cylinder kit.

:thumbsup::busted: Ohh, that was two motors ago :busted:

The latest version is a 485cc 95mm, stroked, high CR. Has not had a lot of play time, as the trails suck here, and I picked up a new RM to fill the void. The boy has turned me in to a track junky :ride:

Thinking I'll sell a set of dirt wheels and build a set of SM wheels,,, at least then the DRZ could get some play time.