Sign in to follow this  

Twin Air Rejet?

Stock 2003 KLX 400. Original air filter was torn so replaced with twin air. I went riding this weekend and bike was not running good. I think was dealing with lean condition--stalling on acceleration, popping/stalling on deceleration (not good on northern Michigan trails). Any suggestions would help.

An airfilter shouldn't cause a need to re jet. Unless the stock one was horribly restrictive. I would try adjusting your fuel screw first.

Popping on decel is usually a sign of a lean fuel screw setting.

Stock 2003 KLX 400. Original air filter was torn so replaced with twin air. I went riding this weekend and bike was not running good. I think was dealing with lean condition--stalling on acceleration, popping/stalling on deceleration (not good on northern Michigan trails). Any suggestions would help.

ran fine perviously? if so i would say you have some plugged passages in the carb.

This was my first trip out this year. Bike ran well when put away in October. I followed the owner's manual for storage. Installed the new filter in March and hadn't ridden much since. If I do need to pull the carb, should I change some of my jetting while I have it out? Everything is stock.

Thank you for the responses. I incorrectly oiled the Twin-Air and am preparing to pull the carb for a full cleaning. I'm going riding in a few days and would like to remove the snorkel. It seems that many guys have had success with this mod. If I take the snorkel out and install a bigger main jet, what other adjustments would need to made? I have a 160 main jet that I bought when I was going to run a KN filter. Bought the Twin Air because I do all trail riding. Any suggestions would help. Thank You.

Not knowing what main is in already, all I can say is you may want to try a main jet one size larger than what you have in now.

You may also want to move the clip on the needle one position more down from the flat.