XR200/R photos

I don't have photo access yet but lets see your 200's.

heres my 86'

pbpic2040621.jpg

stock apart from pulled snorkel and renthal bars

Nice! I have an 87 but it is a project bike. Runs good, looks bad.

does anybody know how they compare up to a 125 two stroke height wise? Are they a full frame with a low seat? Thanks

IMG_0095.jpg

There's my... whatever it is. It's powered by what I believe to be a 1980 XR200 motor.

"O"

does anybody know how they compare up to a 125 two stroke height wise? Are they a full frame with a low seat? Thanks

Slightly heavier than a 125 2 stroke but with a lower seat height.

IMG_0095.jpg

There's my... whatever it is. It's powered by what I believe to be a 1980 XR200 motor.

"O"

I like it. Can't wait to see the final product. The blue subaru is cool too!

Wow reeve, that '86 of yours sure looks nice & brings back memories of my '87. Man I loved that bike. Sadly, I no longer own it, but it's in good hands. Here's a few photos from 15 yrs ago if anyone wants to have a look.

tc4sf2.th.jpg tc3zx3.th.jpg tc7nk9.th.jpg tc5xh9.th.jpg tc6xf7.th.jpg

I like it. Can't wait to see the final product. The blue subaru is cool too!

I can't wait either. Sadly, it's going to be another year or three before I can get it done.

You can have the cool blue subaru! It's for sale.

"O"

I am building a 2000 XR200R with 1987 forks with Race Tech emulator kit and Progressive suspension fork springs. 1987 shock with a Works Performance Cartridge kit and a 1988 XR250R shock spring. New IRC VE33 and VE35 tires. XR type aftermarket taillight from Parts Unlimited and a XR650 Headlight. I also found a odometer from one of my 1988 XR250Rs and mounted it with a Motion Pro Speedo Cable also from Parts Unlimited. I put on Moose bark Busters and a set of Renthal YZ80 Handlebars. I pulled the cap off the airbox but left the rubber snorkle in place. Did not look restrictive enough to chance water getting in. Uni Filter and a 1983-84 diffuser / tail pipe / baffle . I had to go up to a 115 main jet. Bike runs great. Stock gearing and a Parts Unlimited Xring Chain. Oh, Nstyle graphics. I am thinking of replacing the stock red seat with a black one. I am also thinking about putting a earlier stock style fender bag on it or a leather one which would be more reliable. I will post a photo when I can. I am thinking of actually racing it in the next H/S or two. I am having some problems with my arm and hand and can't ride my KTM XCFW 350HT very well. I am having to fight it too much. I think the XR200R will be easier to ride. I will switch back to the KTM when I think I can handle it better. Afterward , I will have a great bike to work trails on and a AHRMA post vintage legal bike.

Cher'o,

Dwight

SANY0175.jpg

My 99 Xr 200

Its not an up to date picture but its basically the same

its got 1986 Xr200r front forks, Renthal Bars, Uni Filter, FMF powercore 4 pipe, Opened up the air box, Wiseco Piston, all the free mods

1990 xr200r

DSC04783.jpg

PICT0585.jpg

PICT0584.jpg

1990 xr200r

DSC04783.jpg

How does the trials tire work on the 200 ? Did you have to change gearing ?

Dwight

How does the trials tire work on the 200 ? Did you have to change gearing ?

Dwight

I use the bike for timekeeper enduros in tight woods up here in the NW. There is no better tire for this area than a current trials tire for woods riding (we call them cheater tires). I switched to an 18 inch rear and then with the trials tire being higher still over a knobby, my wheel circumference was quite a bit more. I went down to 12 teeth in front and up to 50 in back. That was partly due too the tire and partly due to the tight woods we ride.

Hi, here is a picture of my 1984 XR200R. My dad bought it for me back in August of 1984, when I was 14 years old. There were times that I wanted to sell it, but I never did. The bike holds too many fond memories of my youth. Plus, it is still such an awesome bike to ride. :thumbsup: It was ridden alot back in the 80's. Over time it was taken to the mountains only once or twice a year. Recently, I started to ride it more frequently.

It is for the most part all original. Other than a few aftermarket parts that I put on it back in the 80's (SuperTrapp racing exhaust, Terry Fork Kit, ATK fork springs, Original Bark Busters and Maier hand/fork guards) I have only replaced the sprokets/chain, tank decal and number plate backgrounds. I can't believe how bullet proof this bike has been, although I have meticulously maintained it.

dscf9341largexr200rxc4.jpg

1021565largetv5.jpg

Hi, here is a picture of my 1984 XR200R. My dad bought it for me back in August of 1984, when I was 14 years old. There were times that I wanted to sell it, but I never did. The bike holds too many fond memories of my youth. Plus, it is still such an awesome bike to ride. :thumbsup: It was ridden alot back in the 80's. Over time it was taken to the mountains only once or twice a year. Recently, I started to ride it more frequently.

It is for the most part all original. Other than a few aftermarket parts that I put on it back in the 80's (SuperTrapp racing exhaust, Terry Fork Kit, ATK fork springs, Original Bark Busters and Maier hand/fork guards) I have only replaced the sprokets/chain, tank decal and number plate backgrounds. I can't believe how bullet proof this bike has been, although I have meticulously maintained it.

dscf9341largexr200rxc4.jpg

1021565largetv5.jpg

You have actually gotten this bike to run this long ?????????????

This is actually the WORSE Honda XR ever built. I have seen most of these die a most awful death. They ususally boil the oil out and fry the cam, followers, and head. I can't tell you how many calls I have gotten over the years from owners of 1984-85 XR200R and XR250R bikes. Although most were run with Castrol GTX or some other automotive oil. The only survivors I have seen used Synthetic MOTORCYCLE oils.

I will admit that a well maintained and not abused 84 XR200R running Synthetic motorcycle oil can survive.

Still Amazed,

Dwight :p

You have actually gotten this bike to run this long ?????????????

This is actually the WORSE Honda XR ever built. I have seen most of these die a most awful death. They ususally boil the oil out and fry the cam, followers, and head. I can't tell you how many calls I have gotten over the years from owners of 1984-85 XR200R and XR250R bikes. Although most were run with Castrol GTX or some other automotive oil. The only survivors I have seen used Synthetic MOTORCYCLE oils.

I will admit that a well maintained and not abused 84 XR200R running Synthetic motorcycle oil can survive.

Still Amazed,

Dwight :thumbsup:

Yea, that is why I stated that 'I CAN'T BELIEVE' how bulletproof it is. I never expected it to last this long without any mechanical issues. This bike has always been ridden aggressively on rough trails too, as I never use it to just putt around. The only oil I have put in it, is Honda's non-synthetic GN4.

Yea, that is why I stated that 'I CAN'T BELIEVE' how bulletproof it is. I never expected it to last this long without any mechanical issues. This bike has always been ridden aggressively on rough trails too, as I never use it to just putt around. The only oil I have put in it, is Honda's non-synthetic GN4.

Well at least you are running a MOTORCYCLE oil and changing it often. Just be careful and don't get it too hot. This style engine is prone to overheating the oil hot enough that it boils and vaporizes leaving the head without lubrication.

Dwight :thumbsup:

Well, this will officially be my first post to this forum, so hopefully its a good one.

I have an 89 XR200, and she has an interesting story.

2625489585_260b567c33.jpg

When I was in college, I worked at a Honda Dealer, I was basically the controller/GM. I was working over some unpaid service tickets and one was for an XR200 that came in for a teardown. The piston and cylinder needed replacing, a few other things, it totalled like 1100.00 at full labor (Which we would never have charged) so I called the guy to see what he wanted to do. We had the bike there for 8 months already. So he says, he doesnt want it back, we should just keep it as a shop bike. So I paid the tear down fee to the mechanic who did the work ( they are basically subcontractors) and the dealership owner told me to keep the bike. So I had a very broken but super nice XR200. So the mechanics loved teaching (teasing me about my lack of knowledge) me about bikes, and over the next two months, we replaced the broken parts, and rebuilt the engine completely. The suspension was in great shape but we sent the forks off to someone (race tech I THINK, but I cant remember) she got new springs (progressive) and the shock got a rebuild, but to stock specs.

So the engine, as Im putting her together, the guys at the shop kept coming in with things I HAD to have. One of the mechanics gave me an ATC200 cylinder with the big fins, one of them had an over bore piston for me, so the machine shop set up the ATC cylinder for me. The lead mechanic was sitting in the shop one night and decided to show me how to set up crank bearings, etc and split the cases on my little XR and rebuilt the entire bottom end, then sent the crank, rod, pistons over to our machinist to be balanced.

By the time she was all back together, it was easily over 2000.00 worth of work, I had about 125.00 in her, for gaskets and rubber boots, etc.

Shes still got the original wheel in the rear, but I have an 18" XR, I just havent found a need to replace it yet. I kept the bike with the idea that my oldest daughter could learn to ride on it, but honestly, I just LOVE riding it.

2626310514_18d4568ae9.jpg

I have most of the mods everyone seems to want to do to theirs, they were either done by the awesome guys at the shop, or came on the bike stock. I did the taller seat foam, (1 inch) and a black vinyl seat cover (also thumper racing), She had a headlight and tailight from the factory, good suspension, great engine. I had this notion of swapping it into a CR80 Pro chassis, or something like that, but I doubt Ill ever do it now, its just so much fun the way it is. I might find som CR front forks and wheel, and I prolly need to rebuild the rear shock again, so suspension is in her future.

Im either about to buy an XR250, or a newer four stroke (YZ420, etc) so if anyone out there has one they want to get rid of, or perhaps trade for a super fine 1997 2 owner VFR 750, let me know. The 200 is NOT for sale though.

By the way, on the exhaust note, I was all feverish about getting some kind of aftermarket exhaust, FMF etc, but one of the shop guys talked to me into the Thumper Racing Exhaust tip, and Im sooo pleased he did. It still retains the spark arrester, cost me like 20.00, and works every bit as well as a full on exhaust. The difference was immediate, very snappy, pulled great.

The Exhaust tip -->

2625490521_db8f4fb547.jpg

The one thing I havent ever messed with was the jetting, and two years ago I put her in storage to deploy (Army) and I didnt prep the carb, so I need to clean it anyway, so now may be the time to play with the jetting and see what that nets me. I dont really want more power, but I do love a responsive engine.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded intro, but i really love this bike and wanted to represent her well.

Thanks for reading if you got this far!

2626312342_7610c5fed7.jpg

2626311502_04347e3982.jpg

I havent secured the new seat cover yet, so if anyone has pointers on that, Im all ears.