Sign in to follow this  

XR50 oil change, screen?/air filter change tips?

I changed the oil today on the xr50 and don't have a manual. It's a 2003 model. Is there a cleanable oil screen that is set under a bolt head? Or do you have to split the case?

Also, the air filter seemed awfully hard to get at. Removed the seat/plastics, gas tank and some kind of case breather thing. What is the easiest way? Can you just loosen it from the carb and slide the whole thing out?

There is a small screen (approx 1 1/2" X 1 1/2") located above the drain bolt, but it is only accessible if you remove the right side engine cover. It isn't necessary to remove the cover strictly to clean the filter, it's best to make it a must-do whenever you have the cover off.

I have always found it to be a lot easier to remove the whole carb/manifold/airbox whenever you want to clean and oil the filter. Buying a UNI pod filter eliminates the crankcase breather box and makes life a lot easier, as well.

Thank for the help and I will look into the new UNI and clean/check the screen when I pull off the right side.

Kelvin, I was thinking this when I had it apart. The two restrictors are for what? If you shorten the tube, how does that help? That doesn't click for me.

Would you need to adjust the air screw, jets?