meds to control back pain

I have been taking high doses of ibruprophen for several years now to control back pain. It started when I was 22 years old or so. I developed sever back pain, I didnt crash or anything. Just one day woke up and it was there. I had alot of hip joint pain and middle lower back pain. I have been skateboarding since I was 12, I play ice hockey starting around the same time, I ride dirtibkes, and what ever else sounds fun.. I have always been in fairly good athletic shape. I figured the hip and back pain was from several bone jaring crashes I had endured over the years. I went to the doctor and he took Xrays and I was told I had minor arthritus, and bone spurs. He then proceeded to tell me that some peoples bodies are not cut out for doing sports. That really pissed me off. He gave me a broshure on how to stretch and strengthen my back and sent me on my way. I endured it for another year or to...At times I could hardly put weight on my legs cause of the shooting pain through my hips...I would go to sleep and next day the other leg would have the pain.. After a year I went back and he told me that I had arthritus and gave me a perscription for 800 mg ibruprophen. I started taking them and My pain completely went away. I am talking absolutely no pain at all...I was told this was because of swelling from the arthritus is hitting nerves and when I take the pills the swelling goes down and the pain disappears. I am at a point now where I take 800 mg of ibruprophen every night before I go to bed and if the pain comes back I take another one. I have been doing this for the last 10 plus years. If I dont take it when i go to bed I wake up in the middle of the night curled in a ball with my back severly stiff...It usually ends up with me hobbling to the kitchen to take some pills. after an hour or so I doze back off and wake up in the morning in good shape. What is the long term damage I am doing by taking these pills? Is there a better way to take care of the pain? Thanks for your advise a head of time.

ibuprophen/motrin is pretty benign if it does not trash your stomach.

If it ain't broke....don't fix it! Jusk kidding, in reality, there are more invasive things you could try, different medications but they will all have side effects/consiquences. If motrin works, keep doing it until you either develop a problem with it or it stops working, then look at alternative treatment. 800mg once or twice daily is not too much, I have seen doses double that tolerated without problems.

Remember back problems usually develop over time so do your back exercises to keep your back as strong and healthy as possible.

Remember back problems usually develop over time so do your back exercises to keep your back as strong and healthy as possible.

Good advice. Core exercise that strengthen the abs, back, etc. will benefit anyone. Here's one info site, a search will get plenty of info. If you can, go to a physical therapist to get on the right track.

http://www.backexercises.com.au/