Sign in to follow this  

SM Speedo Drive is WAY off actual speed

The lights are an accessory from Trail Tech. only other parts needed were two diodes to get the directional indicator to work. When you buy the vapor kit with the lights, it comes with a reasonably good mounting bracket.

Takes a little time to make the lights connect up 'factory style'. You will need a wiring diagram and a snifter of fine Cognac.

I like the way your toolbox is stocked!

yup every bike and car I have been in the speedos are off 5-10% except cop cars which have printed right on the speedo "certified calibration"

That's as bad as leaving the S speedo drive on there. My brother got the SM Pro wheels and hasn't bought the SM speedo drive. He's reading about 10% higher than my factory SM. So it's waste of money?

So now he is 20% too high and your @the original 10% high.

So if I switch from the S to SM speedo drive my odometer will still read the same? I know the speedo is waaaay off but the odometer is my main concern....for oil changes and such.

I tried to 'fix' the oem unit. It cannot be done. The speed reading high is deliberately programmed into the speedo. See how many DRZer's (and riders of other bikes) are so excited their bike goes so fast? LOL, I can tweak my bathroom scale to read low "Look hun, I lost 20, I deserve a present" but my pants still fit the same.

I tries to pull the code from the eprom, not possible. Only other method would of been to reverse engineer the electronics, write all the needed code from scratch and write it to a new eprom and install. I would have to be paid $20K to do that. Instead, I bought a Vapor for $120.00

On the plus side, if you know it is off by 10% (more or less), just factor that in when you are bench racing so you do not get called out! :thumbsup:

I'm glad you chimed in...I was going to try that. Even if you were able to get the code off the EEPROM you'd still have to hack the code, which is almost impossible.

Maybe time to look at this Vapor.

I'm no expert... just got my DRZ400s (2002 model) day before yesterday,

but I ran into this while trying to learn about it:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Eltonh/thumpertalk/IMG_0003.jpg

It may not have anything useful... there is a calibration factor for the odometer(s).

You could always select kilometers, ... no, wait, that will make it worse.

Okay, I don't know what I'm talking about.

So if I switch from the S to SM speedo drive my odometer will still read the same? I know the speedo is waaaay off but the odometer is my main concern....for oil changes and such.

I have a S and my son dumped my bike off a moving trailer at 55 mph. I bought a stock speedo off ebay. After installing it I noticed it only reported 0.8 miles for each mile I drove. I got in the calibration mode and noticed the compensation value was set for 80. I set it to 100 and now my odometer is dead on.:thumbsup: I'm assuming who ever had it before me had it on a SM.

But if your odometer registers 80%, instead of 12,000 miles at the

end of a year it will only have 9.600 miles on it.

Your bike will last much longer - possibly a couple of years longer that way!

The calibration factor only affects the trip meters. It is used to calibrate mileage against another speedo that was used to set leg lengths in an enduro. It does not affect the speed reading or the odometer.

The S and SM speedos are identical. The difference is in the drive unit on the wheel.

my speedo reads 65 while I'm actually doing 55-56-verified by radar.

It sucks, but whatever...

I was thinking might be a good way to get out of a ticket. The speedo is off by such a large amount that it makes it useless to gauge real speed. It is unreasonable to demand the rider to calculate the speed all the time, and also unreasonable to take the speedo as "real speed" and ride at a much lower speed just to keep it happy, because of the risk of getting rear-ended by people going the "real" speed limit. So you pretty much are forced to ignore it and ride with the traffic.