Tail Bag Mod

I like to have a tail bag to carry spares and tools that I might need on the trail. I also like to carry conveniences like water, cell phone, snacks and whatever else I can cram in there. Finally, I like the tail bag to be low profile.

With those thoughts in mind, I sprung for the Yamaha rack, which I purchased from www.yamahagenuineparts.com . Great guys to deal with, they got it shipped out right away. Looks nice and seems very sturdy.

IMG_3360s.jpg

Once that was out of the way, it was time to find a tail bag. I wanted something that's durable, waterproof and with multiple pockets just the right size for my doo dads. Here's an idea - what about a ballistic nylon shaving kit from Wally World. For $9.88, you too can own one of these.

IMG_3361s.jpg

I had one of these on my DRZ-E and it was great. The two side pockets are the perfect size for a spare tube and a large bottle of water, and the inside is nicely set up with 2 zippered pockets for keys and cell phone. The toothbrush holders will keep tire irons or other tools from banging around and there's ample room for my little electric air pump and tire patch kit. As it is plastic lined, it also ought to be water proof, or at least water resistent.

IMG_3362s.jpg

I need to get to the store and buy some stronger zip ties to fix it to the rack, but I think it'll look nice when it's on there.

IMG_3363s.jpg

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any more updates or pictures for tail bag idea's ? I'm interested in doing this myself without the rack. I wouldn't want to go any bigger, but could go a little smaller. I would just like to store keys, cell phone, a water, just basic stuff from my pockets or stuff for a longer than usual ride.

Anyone have any more updates or pictures for tail bag idea's ? I'm interested in doing this myself without the rack. I wouldn't want to go any bigger, but could go a little smaller. I would just like to store keys, cell phone, a water, just basic stuff from my pockets or stuff for a longer than usual ride.

Got mine from RKA Luggage. It wasn't cheap, but it is what I wanted. I was going to get the Yamaha tail rack but then I would still need a bag. This one fits the bill perfect. RKA sends you what they call "The Pad" which straps to the tail with velcro. The Pad has four rings and the bag has four straps. Loop the strap through the ring and velcro it to the side of the bag. It is VERY SECURE when installed properly. The top section zips open for keys, wallet, phone, etc... and then the lower section zips open for bigger stuff like maybe rain gear or some food and drinks, etc... RKA can make them custom for you in many color combinations. I got the Starr I bag for a buck 40 plus shipping...

DSCN2402.JPG

DSCN2403.JPG

DSCN2404.JPG

DSCN2405.JPG

DSCN2407.JPG

I'm going to order that Yamaha rack from Canada as well even if it does look like the shoe of a Rowenta iron, I'll cover it up with a Pelican 1200 case.

How long did the rack take to arrive at your door once you placed the order? If you don't mind me asking.

• 4 weeks later...

After an exhaustive search, I stumbled upon the ideal tank bag for riding around town. The magnets did not faulter at WOT. Also, the bag has 4 hooks for the rack on the back of the bike. The pictures don't do the color justice, as it is a very close match to the Yamaha blue. We bought a black bag along with the blue one. I found the little item in the rider store @ Deals Gap (318 turns in 11 miles). If you would like to find out where to order one, drop me a PM.

tankbag2.jpg

tankbag3.jpg

tankbag4.jpg

tankbag5.jpg

tankbag.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I came up with a couple of cool solutions for mounting my tankbag on the rack.

1. Walmart - Buy 2 sets of Lock Laces in the shoe department. They use a stretch nylon cord and double locks for mounting the bag on the rack.

2. REI or any sporting goods store. I found an OR stuff sack that I can carry all the stuff in when I leave the bike. Also, I found a paded Eagle Creek container which fits snugly inside the tank bag for protection and removal. Last, I found a waterproof Dry Sack for my GPS unit in the event of a rain storm.

bagmount.jpgbagstuff.jpg

DNFDoug, please PM me the dealer/contact for that cool tank/tail bag. That thing looks great and is way more versatile than what I'm using.

(Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, the American Tourister tail bag that I use was put to the test on a long, rainy ride. It iis NOT waterproof at all, not the slightest bit.)

OK,

Meanin' no disrepect, but I can't help noticing how many TT posters park their bikes inside their house.

Is this to prevent theft, or just to have it close at hand to look at, etc.?

I have to admit, I might try it this winter.

I park mine in the house because...

1. No wife :busted:

2. No garage :worthy:

3. No theft ?

4. No rain :blah:

Air conditioned, bug-free place to burn some time figuring out how to fit the farkles on a new bike. Reasonably new bike is still clean enough so that wifey doesn't have a cow. Much lighter/easier to maneuver inside vs an larger road bike. And yes, of course, some admiration time too.

2558632970_12bf714cf3.jpg

• 6 months later...

FWIW, I had the exact same American Tourister bag from Wally World pictured in post 1 on my bike. Barely made two rides in rough terrain before it exploded and left a shower of tools all over the trail...

No close up pic right now but I use an Icon Primer tank bag directly on the fender. I already had it hanging around.

The magnetic tabs will just wrap around and grab the subframe rails. Then I used a fat zip tie through the ring on each tab to secure it to the rails.

I trimmed the handle and rear mag tab off for looks.

No problems at all and I've ridden it off road plenty.

If the fender gets scuffed then so be it. Plastic polish or a new fender if I am ever bothered by it.

005.jpg

I noticed that many of you have the Yamaha tail rack. Answer me a question. Can it be mounted WITHOUT using the helmet lock adapter. In other words, can it be modified or directly mounted to the frame rails and leave off that bracket that the helmet lock mounts to?

I noticed that many of you have the Yamaha tail rack. Answer me a question. Can it be mounted WITHOUT using the helmet lock adapter. In other words, can it be modified or directly mounted to the frame rails and leave off that bracket that the helmet lock mounts to?

If I remember correctly, you remove the helmet lock, the rack bolts to the frame where the helmet lock was mounted, then (if you want) the helmet lock is bolted to the rack.