Moissanite Jewelery

Alright ladies, I need some help. Hopefully I came to the right place:busted:

Moissanite Jewelery:

1.)What are your honest opinions?

2.) Is the quality the same as diamond? The brilliance, sparkle, etc?

3.) Is the "there's no chance these stones were from a conflicted area of the world" a reasonable arguement for purchasing moissanite? She likes to use this one.?

3.) Last but not least, when my girlfriend tells me she WANTS moissanite jewelery rather than real diamonds is SHE being honest? Is it just my stupid pride that makes me think she's not serious and that I have to spend a ton of money on real stuff or is she for real?

She is the most wonderful, unassuming girl in the world and I truly believe she could care less about it. I've been looking at a lot of moissanite jewelery, and it seems as though you can get a substantially larger stone of the same brilliance and clarity for 1/3 of the price. Everything I've read says a moissanite is nearly undetectable without magnification and by an experienced jeweler.

Any thoughts and opinions would be very helpful. Thanks very much ladies.

Totally unfamiliar w/it personally. I am by no means into jewelry. It sounds like she has researched it and is familiar enough with it to know what she wants. Arguement #3 there... sounds like she does have some real feelings about where her gems come from. In other words, it sounds like she knows what she wants. She sounds like a practical gal. Save some of that dough you'd drop on a big 'real' rock for a nice downpayment on a house (or some other more important purchase).

Totally unfamiliar w/it personally. I am by no means into jewelry. It sounds like she has researched it and is familiar enough with it to know what she wants. Arguement #3 there... sounds like she does have some real feelings about where her gems come from. In other words, it sounds like she knows what she wants. She sounds like a practical gal. Save some of that dough you'd drop on a big 'real' rock for a nice downpayment on a house (or some other more important purchase).

Pretty much everything she's said is wrapped up in your post. She's definitely a practical girl and she's especially commented on how stupid it would be to waste a huge amount of money on a ring when there's the house thing. My real question I guess is whether or not it's my stupid "pride" (not sure if this is the right word) or what that's telling me a big stupid diamond is what she "deserves", even though she tells me otherwise. You know girls and diamonds after all ?

Again, it doesn't matter one bit to me, I just want her to have something she loves and isn't second guessing.

I'd take her words at face value ... not all girls think they need a giant diamond. I made sure my fiance knows I prefer sapphires and that I did not expect him to buy me a super expensive ring.

Diamonds and all the "guidelines" for choosing engagement rings are well marketed but not everyone buys into the hype.

I didnt' want a big rock sticking out that I'd have to take off to do all the different activities I love. I have a small band with a few small inset diamonds (not much more than diamond chips). But I picked it out and it's what I wanted.

Everyone is different. In this economy, spend your money where it counts... not on frivolous things she doesn't really want anyway. ?

And I have to give you huge kudos for feeling she is 'worth more' and for making the effort to ask. Nice that you love her that much... it's just not something you see so much anymore it seems like.

I agree, Diamonds are not EVERY girls best friend! I for one could care less about expensive jewelery, I'd rather spend our money on so many other things!!

Awesome to hear...that seems to be her opinion as well. Most definitely mine. I couldn't care less about some ring as far as I'm concerned. I'd most definintely rather spend the money or save the money for something else:thumbsup:

Now, I just need to hear from the women who think I'd be stupid to buy anything other than a huge diamond:busted: Come on now, I know you're out there:busted: There are two sides to every coin and I'd love to hear comments the other way. Even if their not reasons why I HAVE TO go out and buy a "real" diamond but just reasons you might think they're better, different, etc. ?

Pretty much everything she's said is wrapped up in your post. She's definitely a practical girl and she's especially commented on how stupid it would be to waste a huge amount of money on a ring when there's the house thing. My real question I guess is whether or not it's my stupid "pride" (not sure if this is the right word) or what that's telling me a big stupid diamond is what she "deserves", even though she tells me otherwise. You know girls and diamonds after all ?

Again, it doesn't matter one bit to me, I just want her to have something she loves and isn't second guessing.

Diamonds are a girl’s best friend, accept no substitutes! ??

Seriously, I think Moissanite is a great choice, IF that is what she likes. My birthstone is diamond, and I wear this stone more than any other and love anything that resembles it, real, or manaufactured. She sounds like a very practical gal is wise to make this consideration. Having a "real" rock on ones finger is not a measure that symbolizes any more/less importance of someone's love and appreciation towards another in any relationship.

Here's some things to consider about Moissanite's:

Pros

They are extremely affordable and the price allows you more options.

They can also be undetectably mixed with real diamonds, which also allows a lot options. Especially if she wanted to upgrade her settings down the road, or if she recieved an heirloom diamond from a family member, it could easily be added with her stone/setting if she chose.

They are almost as hard as diamonds, so the quality and durability is a perfect choice for something that may be worn everyday.

If she loses it, it would be more affordably replaced.

Cons

They are more refractive than a diamond, and may have a slight tendacy to look too perfect, especially in certain light.

Do not hold value like a diamond, or a precious gemstone and resale is generally less than the original investment.

They are not completely colorless like a real diamond. In certain lighting conditions, they can have tendancies to show minor amounts of gray, green, or yellow tinges (more obvious in larger stones). But, even real diamonds depending on the quality can show similar colors.

If you chose a Moissanite, make sure you look at the stone(s) in all lightening, even outside light before you puchase it. The lighting in stores is typically altered to best feature the stone and lessen the coloring.

• Like 1

Diamonds are a girl’s best friend, accept no substitutes! ??

Seriously, I think Moissanite is a great choice, IF that is what she likes. My birthstone is diamond, and I wear this stone more than any other and love anything that resembles it, real, or manaufactured. She sounds like a very practical gal is wise to make this consideration. Having a "real" rock on ones finger is not a measure that symbolizes any more/less importance of someone's love and appreciation towards another in any relationship.

Here's some things to consider about Moissanite's:

Pros

They are extremely affordable and the price allows you more options.

They can also be undetectably mixed with real diamonds, which also allows a lot options. Especially if she wanted to upgrade her settings down the road, or if she recieved an heirloom diamond from a family member, it could easily be added with her stone/setting if she chose.

They are almost as hard as diamonds, so the quality and durability is a perfect choice for something that may be worn everyday.

If she loses it, it would be more affordably replaced.

Cons

They are more refractive than a diamond, and may have a slight tendacy to look too perfect, especially in certain light.

Do not hold value like a diamond, or a precious gemstone and resale is generally less than the original investment.

They are not completely colorless like a real diamond. In certain lighting conditions, they can have tendancies to show minor amounts of gray, green, or yellow tinges (more obvious in larger stones). But, even real diamonds depending on the quality can show similar colors.

If you chose a Moissanite, make sure you look at the stone(s) in all lightening, even outside light before you puchase it. The lighting in stores is typically altered to best feature the stone and lessen the coloring.

Awesome post. Thank you for taking the time to be so thorough. It's really appreciated.

FWIW, here's what I've been looking at. What do you think?

http://www.moissaniteco.com/round-brilliant-7mm-moissanite-engagement-ring-233ct-14k-wy-p-4995.html

Another awesome thing about it is that the stone can always be replaced by a diamond if we ever decide that's necessary.

Very pretty setting!!

Silver will show off any diamond/Moissanite best. However, be careful about selecting white gold (which is silver colored). It scratches easily and will turn gold over time and will need to be redipped to bring back the silver-color. Not a big deal and can be done by any jewler at a reasonable price. Depending on her own body chemistry, determines how fast the oils in her skin will turn the white gold. Some people skin reacts slowly to this metal. I have a few rings in white gold settings, and the undersides of my rings will turn in less than a year. I just have them redipped and the scatches polished out.

If you can find one set in Plantinum, that's a good choice too, but more $$.

Very pretty setting!!

Silver will show off any diamond/Moissanite best. However, be careful about selecting white gold (which is silver colored). It scratches easily and will turn gold over time and will need to be redipped to bring back the silver-color.

I'd really like to find a Platinum setting for sure. I'm not too keen on white gold or silver. Obviously platinum increases the price substantially but I'd rather have the extra durability, especially with a stone set in a raised setting like that.

THat setting is offered in Palladium for a bit more $$ but I'm not too familiar with that material. Anyone have any experience with it?

Yes, the Plantinum would be best, but it's a substancial upcharge. The durabilty would be better a choice hands down if that's in your budget. Otherwise, just go for the white gold, or silver, it's not that big of a deal, just something to consider.

In answer to your question on platinum; it's a precious metal, very heavy weight and doesn't wear away with constant use (which is the best feature about it). There are certain grades of platinum (usually marked on jewelery). You would have to research and/or talk with a jeweler about the pros and cons of different grades and which works best $$ for you.

I'd really like to find a Platinum setting for sure. I'm not too keen on white gold or silver. Obviously platinum increases the price substantially but I'd rather have the extra durability, especially with a stone set in a raised setting like that.

THat setting is offered in Palladium for a bit more $$ but I'm not too familiar with that material. Anyone have any experience with it?

Just notice you mentioned palladium, not platinum. I’m not familiar with it for jewelery other than it’s often used for class rings and as a mix “alloy” with other metals, such as gold for strengthening and plating. It’s lighter weighted, almost like titanium. As of now, it does not have the value of the 3 precious metals platinum, gold, and silver (may be similar in price to white gold).

I would suggest finding a reputable and experienced jeweler/repairer that you trust (not a mall jeweler, or department store) and ask them to tell you about palladium vs. white gold and/or platinum. I would verify if a ring setting made with palladium retains value and if this metal can be easily modified and/or affordably repaired if needed. How will this metal wear/look after many years. Will it gray-out, become dulled and take on a patina look, will it scratch easily? How often will it require polishing? Does it have any memory in the metal (like an alloyed white gold), meaning, if she accidently banged it hard on something, or caught a prong holding the stone in place, is this metal forgiving and easily bent back into it’s original shape, or does it stretch out easily (this is a down side to real “platinum,” it’s a durable metal, but it’s soft like carmel, it will stretch easily but cannot retain it’s shape back, if this makes sense).

Also, if you guys ever tied the knot, would you want your rings to have matching metals? If so, how would this type of metal wear for you based on what you do everyday and what designs options are available for you using this type of metal?

I would stay away from platinum, it's not only expensive, it's high-maintenance and takes on a very aged look over time that most people don't care for (requires a lot of care and repolishing to keep the lustre). Kinda like having a black car, looks great when brand new. IMO, the white gold sounds like the best option to me. It's user friendly and can be easily repaired and/or melted down and reused over and over. The re-rhodium plating is no big deal (ususally just the underside shows wear), about $40 to do it. And gold always has value.

I would stay away from platinum, it's not only expensive, it's high-maintenance and takes on a very aged look over time that most people don't care for (requires a lot of care and repolishing to keep the lustre). Kinda like having a black car, looks great when brand new. IMO, the white gold sounds like the best option to me. It's user friendly and can be easily repaired and/or melted down and reused over and over. The re-rhodium plating is no big deal (ususally just the underside shows wear), about $40 to do it. And gold always has value.

+1. My wedding ring was platinum, my husband bought it because he 'knew I was rough on things' ? and thought it would be tougher... but it actually is SOFTER, I got SO MANY chips and gauges in it, that I don't think I would have with white gold. A jeweler told me the softness IS its 'strength', because its not brittle, and why they use it for the prongs and settings, etc... it won't snap! But it does pick up scratches like no bodies business.

Mrs. SMarquez is very snooty about diamonds and won't have one if it didn't come out of the ground. My issue is "blood diamonds" or diamonds that are a product of a slave type mine. I believe lots of these are sold out of India or Pakistan as "free" diamonds without any way of tracing their origin. I can't complain if it comes down to buying another as I have free reign on bikes and everything that goes with it.

Just notice you mentioned palladium, not platinum. I’m not familiar with it for jewelery other than it’s often used for class rings and as a mix “alloy” with other metals, such as gold for strengthening and plating. It’s lighter weighted, almost like titanium. As of now, it does not have the value of the 3 precious metals platinum, gold, and silver (may be similar in price to white gold).

I would suggest finding a reputable and experienced jeweler/repairer that you trust (not a mall jeweler, or department store) and ask them to tell you about palladium vs. white gold and/or platinum. I would verify if a ring setting made with palladium retains value and if this metal can be easily modified and/or affordably repaired if needed. How will this metal wear/look after many years. Will it gray-out, become dulled and take on a patina look, will it scratch easily? How often will it require polishing? Does it have any memory in the metal (like an alloyed white gold), meaning, if she accidently banged it hard on something, or caught a prong holding the stone in place, is this metal forgiving and easily bent back into it’s original shape, or does it stretch out easily (this is a down side to real “platinum,” it’s a durable metal, but it’s soft like carmel, it will stretch easily but cannot retain it’s shape back, if this makes sense).

Also, if you guys ever tied the knot, would you want your rings to have matching metals? If so, how would this type of metal wear for you based on what you do everyday and what designs options are available for you using this type of metal?

Another awesome and super informative post MXDD. thanks again.??

^^ I’m sure she’ll love whatever you pick out.

+1. My wedding ring was platinum, my husband bought it because he 'knew I was rough on things' ? and thought it would be tougher... but it actually is SOFTER, I got SO MANY chips and gauges in it, that I don't think I would have with white gold. A jeweler told me the softness IS its 'strength', because its not brittle, and why they use it for the prongs and settings, etc... it won't snap! But it does pick up scratches like no bodies business.

I’m really hard on my stuff. I kill platinum, but it looks sooo good when it's cleaned. I NEVER wear rings when I ride. I can't wear my wedding ring anymore, the prongs need to be rebuilt. I'm hoping since we’re hitting a “biggy” this year… (hint… hint) and if HE happens to snoop in here, that ? HE will have the whole thing rebuilt for me. (hint… hint, AND… I’m NOT talking about my bike)...?

?....

((http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/lightbulb.gif[/img]"]lightbulb.gif)) :ride:

Mrs. SMarquez is very snooty about diamonds and won't have one if it didn't come out of the ground. My issue is "blood diamonds" or diamonds that are a product of a slave type mine. I believe lots of these are sold out of India or Pakistan as "free" diamonds without any way of tracing their origin. I can't complain if it comes down to buying another as I have free reign on bikes and everything that goes with it.

“Dirt for Diamonds!” Mrs. SMarquez totally has it going on! :worthy:

To put aside any concern over "Blood Diamonds"... Buy Canadian Polar Bear diamonds.

http://www.polarbeardiamond.com/index.html

Moisannites are pretty cool though.

When I was looking for rings for my wife, my jeweler told me the exact same thing about platinum. It's way more expensive but gets dinged up quickly and easily.

She likes the silver color, so I chose a white gold. It did turn a little bit yellow, but a trip to the jeweler for a recoating fixed that. They did it at no charge since I bought the ring there. We also bought matching white gold wedding bands from a different manufacturer and they haven't really lost their silver yet. So I think manufacturing process might have something to do with the yellowing too.

As for the diamond, it sounds like your girl is being honest and following what she's asking is probably a good idea.

My wife is of Irish descent and has told me how much she likes claddaghs (the heart, hands, and crown symbol). So rather than dropping a bunch of cash on a big, honkin' diamond solitaire, I chose a white gold claddagh ring and a nice heart-shaped diamond that fit where the heart is. The jeweler was able to set the stone into the ring so that it's nearly flush and she absolutely loves it. I guess what I'm getting at is that she's probably telling you exactly what she really wants.

Good luck!!!