Sign in to follow this  

KXF/RMZ 250 04' model refuses to start!!! help!

I have this post in the suzuki forum to but been the same bikes and how stuck i am double the poinions cant hurt! please help

Hey all,

Iv never posted on this forum before as iv only owned kawi's and now a CRF250 but i just brough my gf's brother bike off him cheap as he is moving, BUT...

He had not tried to start it since he left it at a mates house for a month as his knee is stuffed and wont allow him to even try.

I went around there and tried and straight away i noticed it had no compression.. so i took it home n started the diagnosis...

turns out the bike has been ridden by someone else when he left it at his mates house, and they had drowned the bike, so the carby, engine, cyclinder header pipe everything has corrosion in it...

I pulled everything down and found the rings has stuck themselves inside the piston, the inlet valves were not sealing due to sh#t under the seats, so new rings, a re-hoan, cleaned the seats and checked for sealing on all 4 valves, all ok, put it all back together, nothing...

so out the carby came sure enough the water sitting it it had made a soup and clogged every jet and hole... cleaned that and re-assembled, nothing...

re-checked the timing and valve clearences, all fine... still nothing

then checked the spark, constant and clean, picks up from half a inch away without issue... replaced the spark plug still nothing but now it fires every single kick just still wont start, nor bump start. seems to only fire in low RPM. like kicking or just before u run out of momentum in a bump start.

Checked all connections throughout the bike, disconnected the killswitch. stillll nothing...:thumbsup:

Has enough compression to allow it to start. Also checked flywheel to TDC timing is also ok.:cry:

I know there are previous threads simala but mines reli becoming annoying and im out of ideas... I am a mechanic by trade and this is getting to me..

Only ideas i have left is to swap stator and coil with someone else to try that but i dont know anyone else with a 04-05 that uses a external coil rather then plug cap and coil combined..:p

Please anyone ideas would be great... thanks for any input!

The cams have been over tightened and the gear for the timing chain has sliped so you have no way to time the bike right. You'll have to buy new cams. ($500) :thumbsup:

I have got a few to run by playing with the timing at the cams. (moveing them one link off and try it then move another one, etc etc) Turn the bike over very slowly each time to make sure nothing hits.

ALL of the 04 were very bad for that.

Oh,,,,, and replace the timing chain when you replace the cams.

have you checked the cdi.....suzuki had a recall on the 04 rmz cdi box,.....

it was running fine before it was drowned but the engine was recently rebuilt, and i know what grabbing cam's do, my 2006 KXF250 grabbed one of its cam's and twisted it something chronic.. and also cost me in excess of $2000 to fix... Im swapping CDI's with another bloke this weekend hopefully i have some success. just going out and buying a new cdi, coil pack and stator and having it all not work doesnt sound fun to me...

check on the recall, you might still be able to get a new one for free! dono for sure, but my buddy had his go out a few years back and he got a new one for free.