Sign in to follow this  

FMF Programmer Install and Tuning tips

Lets Keep On Subject Here In this Thread, Owners Of it and those who can tune it.

DSCF4634.jpg

DSCF4616.jpg

So, what do you think of it so far?

Im getting my new tires installed and havent been able to ride yet......tonight I will post up with some results, at least the stock setup out of the box.....Im still not up on how to tune it yet.

Talk to me...

does it eliminate the bottom end jerking?

I see a + and -. is that for rich and lean control or pre-programed MAP's

My wish for this type product is to richen the mix on the trails, but keep it lean on the highway with stock components. One button control.

@ $250, I really need good justification since I plan on keeping it mostly stock.

I will be going to 13/46 + speedohealer, when the chain needs replacement.

I did ride it a bit in the rain last night, and yes it smooths it out alot, but I really couldnt get on it too much, I kept getting into rolling burnouts at speed so Im sure there is significant power increase event with stock settings.

Oh yeah, its so adjustable, you can actually tune it for different levels of your ride and it will adjust to them "load responce" of sorts.

adjustable on the fly, you can make it "invisible too" meaning back to stock ecm settings

Im not totally up on tuning it yet, but there are a lot of levels of tuning, you tune it in to your cruise situation, then your WOT response, etc.... to vast for me to explain at this time.

How did the install go Steve? Was it a pretty

straightforward job? I think mine should be

delivered today so I'm hoping to put it on

the bike tomorrow.

I like the way it mounts on the triple clamp so you

have access to it on the go!:thumbsup:

Well I made the mount decision, it actually is suggested to mount down by the battery, but I was not sold on that location, so I made a mount and used industrial strength velcro to attach it to the aluminum plate I used.

Install is a sinch, hardest part is removing the two Phillip screws from the side covers to the tank.

Cant wait till we get some expierenced tuning tips.......

FYI = whoever made the instruction sheet for them screwed up and left out step 8 which is pluging in the injector plugs, and also the tuning explination is hard to follow, unorganized I think, Im going to try to mess with it and make a .pdf for a little plainer explination.

No, not at all.

I dont know the full differences, but the FMF is adjustable anywhere,anytime, to any specification, no downloads, no set map either you can utilize your stock map at any time during your ride and even in conjuntion with your adjustments, you can have the cruize settings as stock but ramp up through the band as you encounter loads or demand WOT.....

.its really cool in my book. :thumbsup:

Ok just drove the bike home from the shop installing my tires, and with the stock settings on the programmer it really smoothed it out, usually when its cold with the mods I have made it has a glitch in 1st gear trying to take off, and now its sooooooo smooth, really nice improvement, I have not tuned it for anything yet so my low end and cruise are about the same as stock, but if I WOT in any gear I notice a major jump out of the bike, also if cruising in like 3rd or 4th and punch it, it really responds better... Cant wait to max this thing out for total package, Im gonna tune in the cruising for MPG and max the rest out for power....

Ok guys here is the official "easy way to understand the tuneability of the FMF tuner. (way easier than the instructions, IMO)

----> Mode button = navigate modes

----> +/- buttons = settings .5-8 in .5 increments (.5,1,1.5,2,2.5,3 etc through 8) represented as a increase (higher number), decrease (lower number).

----> 6 different Modes represented by LED color as follows

MODES:

1 = Green = amount of fuel added under cruise condition. (.5 = stock/invisible)

2 = Yellow = amount of fuel added during acceleration. (.5 = stock/invisible)

3 = Red = amount of fuel added during full throttle or WOT (.5 = stock/ ")

4 = Green/Blue = Point at which the RPM Range When in Cruise Mode is turned on. (.5 = 1,000rpm) (8 = 2,800rpm)

5 = Yellow/Blue = Adjustment of delay in acceleration mode fuel turns on. (.5 = sooner, 8 = later)

6 = Red/Blue = Adjustment of delay in full throttle or WOT mode fuel turns on.

(.5 = sooner, 8 = later)

Hope this helps, I will be tuning all weekend and trying out the new tires too, I will post up on both.

Happy 4th everybody............

Steve, I will just let you figure out the exact, best, setting

for your bike and set up......then I will just copy you when

I make the upgrade.......:thumbsup:

sounds good, :thumbsup:

You will probably need to set your cruise a little different though......

I will be maxing my cruise out probably, and you will probably want more low end.

My plan is to make about 3 different configs, that I can take with me in my wallet or memorize so I can change it when I get off the street, and hit some trails,,,,,,or just commuting,,,,,,,,,,,,etc.....

Later Buddy,,,,,,,,,,we will have to get together some day and race em..:p

hmmm... from the photo of the item and your description.... can I take it this way?

1. the 8 indicators on top will display different colours when switching mode

2. once you are in a certain mode/colour... by using the +/- the light of that certain colour will light-up/light-off to represent your setting

and for your description for this setting:

4 = Green/Blue = Point at which the RPM Range When in Cruise Mode is determend. (.5 = 1,000rpm) (8 = 2,800rpm)

does it mean that PP can only determine that you are cruising when your RPM is below 2800? I was thinking maybe this should be 8000 instead...

thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

hmmm... from the photo of the item and your description.... can I take it this way?

1. the 8 indicators on top will display different colours when switching mode

2. once you are in a certain mode/colour... by using the +/- the light of that certain colour will light-up/light-off to represent your setting

and for your description for this setting:

does it mean that PP can only determine that you are cruising when your RPM is below 2800? I was thinking maybe this should be 8000 instead...

thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

1. Indicators = 1 will light up and be red for mode 1 , and your setting will also be red. and so on, but if your in Mode 6 Red/Blue and your setting is 4.5 then 4 and 5 will be Red and #8 will be Blue

2. the +/- will coordinate to the #, example =.5 = #1 flashing......and 2 would be 2 lit up in the respective color........and 6.5 would be 6 and 7 lit in the respective color.

No Actually its when it turns on the cruise mode.

thanks... the operation sounds pretty straightforward...

so the +/- varies from 0 to 8 in a step of 0.5... right?

which translates to be able to have 16 fuel adjustments for the 12-hole injector... which seems to be a little bit coarse IMO

I am still on the fence between PP and PC and just voicing out my thoughts... don't take it too personal ya? :thumbsup:

no zero

.5 is stock

so I guess 1-8 is the only above stock adjustment in .5 increments.

So 15 x 3 = 45 adjustments through three modes

then another 45 for timing of the fuel amounts how quick they come on....

I like it, fits my preferences perfectly.

anyway... enjoy 4th July over in the States and at the same time... enjoy the tuning...

keep us updated on the result ya? :thumbsup:

Personally, I have ran a Power Commander III usb. It wasnt

on this particular bike though. The PCIII is pretty adjustable.

I currently run a system that has WAY more tuning blocks

than PCIII does. But still, if the PCIII for this WRR is the

same as the last one I had it is more than enough to get

the job done at about 225 different tuning blocks set for

rpm vs tps. Also, the PCIII is "field" adjustable to richen

or lean the curve out. I know it has been mentioned here

that the FMF system has this capability, but I also wanted

to point out that the PCIII does as well. Not sure it has

the same type of adjustment features, but it is adjustable.

I would really like to see a system that utilizes AFRs at

the header and makes fuel changes based on the AFR

readings. This would allow you to set the bike up for

cruise range at say abc rpm and 20%-60% tps for

an AFR of 13.2, then when the same abc rpm is input

with 80% tps you would get an AFR of 12.5 for instant

power delivery when needed the most.

Very, very versatile set up. It changes fuel delivery

based on AFR reading that are all real time. Begin

to change elevation, no problem, ECM justs changes

fuel delivery to hold preset AFR. During the winter when

the air is more dense and the bike has the same cylinder

capacity, but now has more oxygen due to this dense

cold air then the ECM will again deliver more fuel to

hold said AFR.

Anyway, havent seen this set up for our WRR yet, but this

system is on the market for other bikes and is very effective.

MODES:

1 = Green = amount of fuel added under cruise condition. (.5 = stock/invisible)

2 = Yellow = amount of fuel added during acceleration. (.5 = stock/invisible)

3 = Red = amount of fuel added during full throttle or WOT (.5 = stock/ ")

4 = Green/Blue = Point at which the RPM Range When in Cruise Mode is turned on. (.5 = 1,000rpm) (8 = 2,800rpm)

5 = Yellow/Blue = Adjustment of delay in acceleration mode fuel turns on. (.5 = sooner, 8 = later)

6 = Red/Blue = Adjustment of delay in full throttle or WOT mode fuel turns on.

(.5 = sooner, 8 = later)

Todays ride in the rain, mud and muck was really fun, I did some dialing in on the same scenereo, short fireroad climb, long straight away, into steep rocky, singletrack, turn around and "cruise" back.

My current settings after about 6 runs and expeirementing is

Mode 1 = 1.5

Mode 2 = 5

Mode 3 = 6

Mode 4 = 2

Mode 5 = 2

Mode 6 = 3

I think I might lean out WOT a little more next time, also need to do it in the Dry, I kept spinning even with the new tires, even up to 3rd gear.

One of the runs back I went from cruising in 2nd nice and steady then punched it (started spining) shifted to 3rd, shot me clear sideways, dug in finally, pulled front wheel off the ground (still sideways) and then I let off......

HOLY CRAP, I said as I left the adjustments right where they were. :thumbsup: