Sign in to follow this  

A practical small bike for dual sport

Can someone recommend me a good small dirtbike to convert to dual sport?

Me and my buddy just finished putting his together on his KLX110.

It worked out really well, and makes me want one now :thumbsup:

I'm looking for a couple of things:

-Engine: 4 stroke (2 strokes are too noisy imo)

-Size: 110-150cc

-MUST have a lighting coil/ stator/ 12v power source. This made my frineds install very easy as we just tapped into the lighting coil from factory. the klx110 is a streetbike in japan so it had one built in.

-Must be able to do 45 + mph. I need at least 4 gears. The 110 has 4 gears built in, 3 available to the US. my friend is going to get his 4th gear unlocked for street riding. I don't want to be blowing top ends from redlining all the time at 40 mph. So something that has 4 gears or more will be able to stay at a lower rpm while cruising.

Thank you to anyone will comments or suggestions. Much appreciated.

Also, if there are any little dual sport dirtbike threads or info, that would be great!!

You mean like the bikes Honda made back in 1972?

Its a shame they have changed so much to the "bigger = better" idea.

I would suggest trying a Yamaha TW200. I bought one used for 700 bucks and absolutely love this bike beyond words. Its short, easy to ride, FUN to ride, can go ANYWHERE, and hauls down the road 55-60mph just cruising.

I also have a TTR125 and have found the TW can go anyplace that bike can go. But considering the TW is road legal and can be driven anywhere... the TW can go many MORE places then the TTR could ever dream of.. in that aspect :thumbsup:

I think you would like the TW, give it a try then just look for a used one.

P.S The XT225-250 are not nearly the same. Its taller, tipsier, more congested, and just has more of a street bike feel. Sit on them and you will see what I mean :p

Good luck

I would say if you want real small a klx would be great considering it was easy for you to do then that is a plus. besides that they make a plethora of hop up parts and big bore kits so it can always be faster.

Smallest I would go would be a tw200 or and xt, or a dr200.

Im either going to street tard my rm250 or sell it and get something else. Honda xrs have lighting coils, all ktms have lighting coils and the exc or mxcs have 6 speed trannys.

Is there a list somewhere of all the bikes that have lighting coils?

Are there any smaller kawasakis that have them?

Im liking that honda xr 125 though if it does have a lighting coil :p

Thanks for the help so far :thumbsup:

greetings ! yep I'm onboard with the TW 200. rode one year round in CT for 2 years. low maint., good on gas, allways started. and 60 mph really is about the top end.(the suspension is weak so don't hit any pot holes at 60 mph). watch the spokes for tightness, the tires vibrate alot. motor is BULLET PROOF. and they have been around for 20 years,so price shouldn;t be an issue. riding a street legal WR400 now, but I'll always miss my tw 200.

Is there a list somewhere of all the bikes that have lighting coils?

Are there any smaller kawasakis that have them?

Im liking that honda xr 125 though if it does have a lighting coil :p

Thanks for the help so far :thumbsup:

From what I have read, a klx125 would need a stator rewind.

anyone know of any 125-150cc bikes with lighting coils built in? other than the klx110?