New Graphics

I just ordered a set of Factory Effex graphics for my TTR. I think I saw a post that Cyclenut had posted and he had the graphics on his bike. Anyways, I saw them on this web site and had wanted them ever since. So, I finally got them for an early christmas gift. But, I am really scared about putting them on. Is there anything I should now because I want to get them perfect 🙂

First of all, how is the fork project coming along? In case you didn't see it, I posted a fairly lengthy reply to your YZ fork questions. Check it out, and also feel free to PM me for any help.

Now don't sweat the graphics. Use the windex trick; after removing the old graphics, make sure the surface is clean, then spray windex on the area to be covered with the new graphics. You may also spray the windex on the graphic itself. Then, simply apply the graphic where you want it to be. The windex will limit the adhesion initially, long enough for you to get the graphics positioned just right. In a short while, it (the windex) will evaporate and the graphics will be on for good. What I like to do is use a hair dryer to speed the evaporation process, once the graphics are where I like them. It's even easier than it sounds. Good luck and have fun.

I sent you a PM about the forks. My friend has just basically given me the whole front end of his YZ. I'm waiting for the plastics to come right now. It bolts up pretty easy, I had to get my dad to take me to the hardware store a couple times but it wasn't a big deal. I just am having problems deciding on the Works Shock or swingarm, what do you think I should do? Keep in mind I just worked hard for a new shock spring so I like my rear shock. But the graphics go on easy? Are you sure that windex won't make it all bubbly or anything? I'm just a little scared because I want it to be perfect. Thanks for all your help! 🙂

I didn't receive your PM. :D Anyway, here's what I think about what you asked in your post.

Given your lighter weight, and what I know from our two TTRs, I would go with the swingarm. The Works Performance shock will approach the price of the swingarm anyway, and the BBR spring works great on the stock TTR shock. The swingarm will be lighter, more rigid, and raise the rear end of the TTR to balance the front. The retail is $400, so find a good supplier (perhaps your local dealer) to see if you can get a discount.

The windex trick is what I used on the graphics that you saw on my TTR. The spray allows the graphics to NOT become bubbly, because the reduced adhesion allows you to smooth out the bubbles before the graphics become set. This definately works. Here's a pic of my TTR with the graphics you mentioned.

16645698.jpg

Good luck, keep us posted. 🙂