CRF 150 Riders ?

Hi CRF 150 Riders! My son is ready to move up from his xr80 into something that is bigger with more power and better suspenders. He's 11 and not real strong yet, but a good rider. Originally I thought a TTR or Suzuki/Kawasaki 125L would be good for him. Light, better suspension, etc., but my local dealer is really pushing the CRF150. Reviews look good, but I'm worried about the weight. It's only 4 lbs lighter than his mom's XR200. He can ride the 200, but there's no way he can pick it up. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions? Thanks, I appreciate your input.

The XR100's not a good choice for him. It's not much more power than the 80 (his is tricked out a bit) and not much bigger either. You're right about the size of the 150 though. It does look big & heavy for a 150. The weight specs seem to hold that up too, but I keep hearing good things bout it. Anyone around here riding the 150???

I just bought a CRF150 for my wife. I would say go with the TTR125, DRZ125, KLX125 for your son. The CRF150 fits her better than the 125s because she is 5'7". I chose the CRF because it is larger than the 125s but its size may not be desireable for most people. My nine year old daughter who is tall for her age would need to grow another foot in order to reach the ground sitting on the CRF150.

I heard that a CRF150 will beat a XR100 with all the mods done to it. All you have to do for the 150 is derestrict it. This is on a flat track. I heard this from a past post. The XR had dirt track tires on and the CRF had knobies, dont know if it makes a difference but im sure it helps a little.

My plan for now is to keep my CRF150 stock, to keep it nice and quiet since my wife will be riding it around in our neighborhood. Perhaps this is contrary to what most individuals will do with their's. When she learns to ride I intend to put her on an XR250. As far as which bike is faster, an XR100 vs CRF150. It shouldn't even be close when the aftermarket companies get into full swing developing performance parts for the 150. I can easily see 170 - 180 cc big bore kits in the near future. With its displacement and physical size the CRF150 is in its own market category. Whether or not this will be a popular category that will be profitable to Honda however remains to be seen.

Bought the 150 for my 14 year old 2 weeks ago. He is 5'2 105 lbs. He was going to buy a tt 125 but decided this bike suits him better. He rode a PW 80 previously. We ride rather difficult trails in the area with ruts , rocks and hard loose hillclimbs. He has done very well going were ever we go, especially considering the clutch is new to him. The bike is forgiving and yet powerful enough for him to get up whatever we throw at him and when it is too technical for him, I (190 lbs.) can ride it up for him. We have done no mods yet. I do believe some of the derestriction work I hear others describe will improve it. Suspensions appears to give him room to grow. Also it falls over very nicely.... and the front brake grabs quickly as his scratched up plastic will attest to. Have Fun!

I was in the same difficult spot. My 12 year old is too big for his XR80. XR100 isn't much bigger. CRF150 too heavy and too expensive. XR200 is too heavy for him to pick up. He would just get frustrated. So I bought a used TTR125L last weekend. He will get it for xmas. I think it will be a perfect match. We ride all woods-no mx yet. He is 5'8", 130lb. There are LOTS of aftermarket goodies available including frame bracing and stiffer springs cuz even adults like to ride them. XR80 now for sale.

I was gonna get my 12 year old son a TTR125 too, but then I read the test in the new December Dirt Bike of the CRF150...to say they liked it is an understatement. While weight might be an issue for smaller riders it sounds like everything else on the CRF is fantastic. Check the article out, and here are some quotes:

Motor- "We had a TTR125 with BBR exhaust and DRZ400 airfilter conversion on hand for comparison, but there is none. The stock, choked 150F spanks the BBR-TTR in every rev range hands down."

Suspension - "Stock for stock, the TTR, DRZ and KLX aren't even on the same planet as the 150F."

Overall - "The CRF150F raises the bar so much that the TTR, DRZ and KLX will need anti-gravity devices to keep the CRF in sight"

Addict,

I saw the article. I don't subscribe to Dirt Bike, so I'm not sure about their bias, but it was almost embarassing about how they went on and on about the bike. That's why I posted here and checked the ttr site at TT. I know how mags work and they are driven by advertising clients. I'm not saying that magazines lie per se, but if the engine sucks on a particular bike, they won't mention it and will rave about how cool it looks or how great the suspension is. They will play down the negatives and focus on the positives.

That said, it seems that still everyone is not in agreement. I solicited comments from CRF riders, but even they didn't seem all that hot on the CRF. TTR riders are fanatical and definately don't agree with the article. It's hard to know without having the bikes side by side and letting you son try them out. HOWEVER - the deciding factor for me is weight. It doesn't matter how great a bike is - if you have to fight the weight all day long it's not gonna be much fun and fun is what it's all about. I think the TTR is something like 50 lbs lighter, and for a young guy that's major.

I'm 13 and I'm nto exactly the strogest kid out there but i still can move that bike around and not have to struggle with it. I can pick it up when I fall, lean it over in corners, and do good jumps with the CRF150 and i hardly strugle. One magazine, I think Cycle News, said the CRF150 got ridden for 5.6hrs, CRF230 for 5.7hrs, and the runner up was the KLX110 with around 5 hrs. Every mini 4 stroke bike was there and Honda was on top. Stuff like that makes me proud :D🙂

I guess its jsut really what some people prefer. Some like blue others like red. As long as you have fun it's all good :D

the delema i have is my wife is small 5'2". she rides an xr100 now and some of the hills / terain we ride the xr100 isn't strong enough or has enough "bite" to climb the hills. the ttr125L isn't much bigger. the crf150 seems a bit heavy for her if it were to fall on her. i don't think she'd be able to pick it up while on a side of a hill. however she is able to just touch the ground on the crf though. she falls some place between the ttr and the crf. the crf has a wider tire on it and would have more "bite" to it. now if that ttr125L was a 150 we'd be set.

it would have been nice of these magazine articles would have used riders that the bikes were made for. not grown men, but wifes and teenagers. what were they thinking<G>.

A couple things on the CRF150: first of all I've never ridden one, but I have talked to several guys who have. I have pushed one around at the dealership, leaned it over, sat on it, etc. I also can read, and I do math pretty well, too. Here's the skinny (heavy?).

The CRF weighs 1 pound less than a YZ250F. This is on the same scale, from the same magazine, in the same month. Call me kookoo, but a mini should weigh a lot less than a 250cc fourstroke motocrosser. I imagine that the yet-to-be-released CRF250R will be even lighter than the YZF, so this is an enigma.

The CRF150 and the TTR125L have the same size tires.

The CRF150 is a "platform" bike, sharing chassis and engine cases with the CRF230, which is the XR200 replacement. For this reason, the CRF150 is truly a full size bike with supermini size wheels. Without a doubt, the CRF150 is overbuilt, which lends to its stability in whoops, as mentioned by the glowing magazine reviews. Because of the supermini wheels though, the ground clearance is nearly 2" lower than a TTRL's (1.7" to be precise).

The CRFs "amazing" engine performance compared to other 125 minis may have something to do with its 156.8cc displacement. This is more than 32cc more than a TTR125L. If you're looking to race one, enjoy doing so against 125cc two strokes (if displacement size is a factor where you race). The fact that it's a full size chassis with 26% higher displacement than the class it's compared to makes it an apples-and-oranges comparison. What's next, a Honda CRF315R goes up against the YZ250F? I can see the reviews now "this motor is worlds ahead of the others in the class." Alrighty then. I guess the rules for comparison are out the window. The truth is, Honda is a marketing wonder.

I am not a blue-biased guy, as I have a Honda in our stable. The reviews on this bike are simply over the top, though...and I know what over the top is. 🙂

My wife started out on a 02 xr100r. She is only 5' tall at 115 lbs but the bike was too small for her. When she would stand up on it she could touch her knees over the seat which made her feel unstable. We traded it in on a crf230 and had it lowered 1.75" and she loves it. It fits her perfectly now and with the performance mods it feels like it has 4 times the power of the xr100r. She says it is much easier to ride and a lot more forgiving than the 100 and way easier to handle on the trails due to the larger tires and better power. The CRF230 is the perfect womens or kids bike IMO. The electric start makes it so nice, especially for a beginer. It is no fun if you tire yourself out trying to start the bike every few minutes when you are trying to learn how to get over the rocks or any other tough spot. Now if only Yamaha would make the WR in the same size package as the crf230..