Why you don't you buy a YZ instead of modifying a WR into a YZ

Is there a reason why a lot of people here buy a WR and modify it like a YZ ???? It's cost a lot more with the modification, it's still heavier. Why you don't just buy a YZ ???? ?

You will not have to modify the pipe, change the seat and tank, and make all those mod to have the power off a YZ.

I'm just curious.

CrazyRonny

Well there are several things that the WR has that would make it expensive to put on a YZ. The larger gas tank, a lighting coil and a kickstand.

I like how the YZ performs but for my uses for the bike I wanted the above 3 things. I could change the timing, throttle stop, and a few things and have the engine like I wanted for free where as to get a YZ to this point it would cost me hundred's of dollars.

CrazyRonny, I can only speak for myself. I ride and race in the desert. I like the wide ratio tranny!! I need a light too. And the 18" wheel is nice for desert riding. But im guilty of putting a YZ front plate on as well as a YZ rear fender. Im not really going for the YZ conversion but I feel that I could benefit from some of the YZ parts. You can't blame alot of guys for getting rid of the stock WR tank either. Next year (I believe) the bikes will be more different than they are right now. You might see less conversions.

See Ya, DL ?

I like the tranny and the equipment. Even the heavy coolant overflow, wide right radiator, lights, sprockets, O-ring chain, 18" wheel, everything. I love the kickstand. I like going 80mph.

A 426 might fix it, but on my 250F, there are a couple of jumps I have to lunge hard at in 2nd, winding it all the way out. 2nd is wound way tight, 3rd is too high to kick out of corner even fanning clutch, no time to shift. The other fix would be a YZ transmission, but I wouldn't give up the top end speed on fireroads for it.

Good luck,

mwc

Originally posted by MOmilkman:

Like Dan said. The answer in in the tranny.

Does anyone find the gap between 2nd and 3rd to be annoying? I have a buddy who's complaining about the gap and pondering ways to get fix it.

Merf

I thought it was 1/2/5 but I'm not sure either. My bud's complaining about the gap between 2nd and 3rd though. His isn't the first complaint I've heard along those lines either. FWIW, it's the linearity of the gear ratios that keep me on a MX bike in the woods. Yea, it sucks not having lights but a big tank was only $200 and I get to play at the track and trail with equal aplomb. Well, at least after I spent $300 to get my suspension dialed. ?

Merf

Originally posted by lewichris:

i thought that 1st 4th and 5th were the only different gears. i thought 2nd and 3rd are the same. but i am usually wrong.

Third and fourth are actually the closest between the two, with WR being about 3% shorter in third and 3% taller in fourth.

YZ first is actually only 6% taller than WR second (all the above not accounting for final drive difference, which is another 3.5%).

Hey Dan, get much use out of that first gear in the dez?? ?

Originally posted by Merfman:

Does anyone find the gap between 2nd and 3rd to be annoying? I have a buddy who's complaining about the gap and pondering ways to get fix it.

Merf

14/52 or 14/53 or 13/50...

Originally posted by Hick:

Hey Dan, get much use out of that first gear in the dez??

Hick, What first gear? Not much use at all now that you mention it.... Just in some staging areas of the start. ?

My Stock WR with a 15 front will go 89 (dry lake bed) if I had the YZ model I would have to give up way too much powerband to do that speed.

Originally posted by Dan Lorenze:

Hick What first gear? Not much use at all now that you mention it.... Just in some staging areas of the start. ?

My Stock WR with a 15 front will go 89 (dry lake bed) if I had the YZ model I would have to give up way too much powerband to do that speed.

Think of WR first as a "pit" gear. :D

As for the powerband I've run 15/47 before, which should get you in the same neighborhood top speed wise, and the gears still feel pretty "close." First gear was just right :D and I was still able to use second for the start (which was in a sand wash).

Oops, I just saw where you said a 15 tooth counter on your WR. I've never gotten any accurate top speed info, I'm surprised your WR doesn't top out at around 100 w/ a 15 tooth counter. Whatever, that is haulin butt.

Merfman -

Does anyone find the gap between 2nd and 3rd to be annoying?

I feel your pain!! ?

ONly when on the MX track though anywhere else is ok.

2 reasons I picked it was the WideRatio Tranny

and I was able to get it brand new for 5100.00 OTD

Thank's, I think it's clear, ``the wide ratio tranny`` is the answer :D .....

If only Yamaha could make the WR exactly the same as the YZ exept for the tranny and the light, I't will make my life easier ? and I will keep more money in my pocket :D ...

But for now I will keep modifying my WR, no choice :D

CrazyRonny

For enduros and trail riding, tranny and 18" rear wheel are the most important, just as Dan said.

Hick, I do use first gear with stock final drive. It seems low, but if you saw some of the stuff we ride in, you'd know why it works just right.

Dan, I have seen 88 on mine with stock final drive (I think 14 countershaft???), according to my ICO Procomp. You should get more than 89 mph with a 15. At my age, I doubt I will be topping 100 anytime soon until I set up supplemental accident insurance.

Dan

Originally posted by Dan from HB:

Hick, I do use first gear with stock final drive. It seems low, but if you saw some of the stuff we ride in, you'd know why it works just right.

I can vouch for the usefulness of the WR first gear, just not in my normal riding area. But a YZ in the trees, down a tight, steep hill, is a handful, especially once the rear brake fades completely. ?

For Sabink:

I received your pm, but there was no return address so I'll answer here. "Tranny" is American slang for transmission. You probably know that the WR has a wider ratio transmission than the YZ. For my type of riding, it is ideal. The terrain I ride varies from steep, rocky, loose, and washed-out hills with no trail to very fast dirt roads. 1st gear has to be very low and 5th has to be quite high. I could even use a 6th gear sometimes. A YZ gearbox just would not work.

Dan