Subframe gussets - anyone used them?

bent mine second ride out. barely dumped over...hit the silencer and cranked the subframe down and in. took a bottle jack, braced against swingarm, and tweaked it back up and over. seems like it bent pretty easily. i'm also curious if anyone has tried them here.

More than likely people are bending sub-frames in the center of the spans. I haven't heard of anyone bustin welds. Gussets won't do a thing to prevent bends past the end of the gusset. Gusset couldn't hurt but may not provide the right kind of strenghtening.

So to everyone thats tweaked a subframe, where are they bending?

most of the subframes bend due to the bike going down on the silencer side. the result is the famous tire rub on the silencer. it's really not that big of a deal. the easiest way to tweak it back is to use about a 4 foot section of 2x4, take off the silencer and all of the plastic, loosen up the lower subframe bolts, wedge the 2x4 through the subframe (under the silencer side and over the other side), put a foot on the rear tire for leverage, and give a couple of quick tweaks. always check for cracked welds when done.

i destoyed 2 subframes, along with my mid pipe and muffler. so i figured on getting the gussets. i think they work. not only that, but i think they saved my muffler from getting destroyed again. i tested it out by coming up short on a triple and breakin my femur. but hey, my bike didnt break! woohoo!!!

sure reinforce your bike but sometimes they have weak points for a reason. you run the risk of breaking something else. i have went down pretty hard all year....... dented my pipe to hell... no bent subframe and i managed to bend my XR frame where the subframe would have been. Another option might be to go to a metal fabricator with you stock subframe and get a duplicate made.... cheaper than buying one and you will have a spare.. A good fabricators welds will be stronger than the factory welds as well

goto my website if you doubt how hard i hit on the pipe... theres a video that has me wiping out over a double.. i think its towards the bottom of the video page something about wipeing out at hole shote raceway.. i have had numerous wrecks all year like that one.. mostly in practice... the page is underconstruction so its kinda messed up

it has to do with the persons computer.. i guess its the format of the videos. you probably need to update some software if they dont work... I reworked the pages so everything is a bit more organized. I just got flash software so im still learning some new stuff about it so things are just roughed in..