Washer fix for clutch...."6 mm"

On this washer fix for the clutch, what do you mean by 6mm washer? Is that for a 6mm bolt? Whats that in fractions 1/4"? Whats more important the thickness or the diameter or both? Man I'm full of ?'s. It is almost impossible to find neutral on my bike, "03 250f".

I can't wait to read all the new information here everyday....Ya'll are like a super YZF250 library!!!

Thanks Matt

The washer you're looking for should have a 6mm "inside" diameter, and be able to fit inside the clutch spring. They're available at Home Depot for $.79 a bag. Buy these and find neutral again! ?

Yes, 6mm is approx. 1/4" BUT....use the 6mm!!!! And DO NOT use a lockwasher instead! Use flat washer only!!

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I just wanted to get back with ya'll about this washer fix. It works GREAT "well with limited testing". But it seems to work just like ya'll said it would, neutral is easy to find. I changed oil, checked valves and added washers today. All is ok in Arkansas:)

Thanks Matt

Added tip. Make sure you mic all of the washers to make sure they are exactly the same. Otherwise you will have the same problem again after a couple of rides. Use a good set of calipers to make sure they all have the same thickness. I did mine a few months back and now it starts in gear everytime.... especially with the 03 exhaust cam...he he he.

Oh and I got the washers at napa for a grand total of .39

Good luck.

Ace

people,

this "washer fix" is just your imagination. really. "mr. know-it-all" of dirt bike magazine fame says it doesn't work. that's a fact, i mean it was published in a magazine that costs like US$4.00 to buy. read all about this non-working-fix here:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/bike/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=403623&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

jim aka the wrooster

(everyone say it with me now: "sarcasm")

could someone post pics of this washer fix. i can't envision im my head how this works. i've heard of preloading clutch springs for a tighter spring, but how does a washer INSIDE the springs result in a longer disengagement throw? i have an '03 and haven't ridden it yet. maybe i'll need the "FIX" too. ?

Just like how Mr. Know-it-not said that you couldn't install auto-decompression in an older yzf and that even if you tried it would be very expensive. Had he even looked at a manual for a 03 YZ250F or 450F and he'd of seen that the only difference between the older and newer bikes is the sintripital(sure, however you spell it) compression release in the exhaust cam.

james_b,

the washers make the each "tower" in the clutch hub a bit longer. so when you tighten the 5 bolts against the towers, the springs are slightly less compressed. this solves the problem because beforehand the springs were getting compressed to the point that the coils were against each other. thus there was no more travel to be had. by adding the washers and making the towers longer, the springs don't get bound up on themselves, clutch [dis]engagement is smooth, and all is well.

yes, the "washer fix" is rather cumbersome to explain in words but once you get the clutch cover off and the 5 bolts out, it will all be so very clear what the problem is/was. just make sure that the washers seat on the towers and inside the springs. also see the helpful info in the link below.

although i can't help but think that if yamaha hasn't got this stupidity sorted out on your new '03 250F we should all sell our bikes and pick a new hobby.

jim aka the wrooster

https://www.thumpertalk.com/bike/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=113635&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1