Out of State Bike Purchase

Can somebody please tell me the procedure for registering a bike purchased out of State. I read a post some months back about waiting 3 months to register the bike in order to keep from paying Sales tax. I live in California and drove to Vegas to buy the bike. I did not pay sales tax and am wondering if there is some loop hole I can jump through.

Thanks for the help.

I am not aware of any loop hole to avoid sales tax. To legally register the bike in CA, you'll need a bill of sale and potentially a title if Nevada required one to begin with. If not, bill of sale should be sufficient. I bought a bike from Colorado and only needed a bill of sale since Colorado doesn't require registration of offroad motorcycles.

You need to fill out this form: DMV form 343 Application for registration or title. You will also need a vin verification form signed off by a peace officer or DMV official. Both of these forms can be downloaded from DMV website. It must be registered within 20 days of the date the vehicle is first operated in California. There is a space on the form where you write in the date vehicle was purchased. There is another space where it asks when vehicle was first operated in California "more than 90 days if you want to avoid paying sales tax". (If a vehicle is not brought into California within 90 days of purchase, it is presumed to have been purchased for use outside of California and is not subject to sales or use tax."as long as the reason for the delay is not due to transit time"). Take your Application for registration, vin verification form and Certificate of Origin to DMV with $21 and they will give you a red sticker and you should receive Calif title w/in 6 weeks. Use your imagination if they ask if you paid sales tax when you bought it or why it took 90 days to bring into Calif.

Someone else posted in the Honda forum that "some DMV offices also refer to a special list of compliant and non-compliant bikes in addition to checking the 3 or C in the 8th position of the VIN". But there is a good probability that you would get a green sticker if it didn't have the C or 3. I got my Honda CRF in Illinois and it is red 🙂

you have to wait 90 days before registering the bike in Ca to avoid tax. The rule is that any vehicle that has been purchased must be kept out of state for 90 days after purchase...which will be annotated on the bill of sale, to avoid the 8.25%. That is a fact, and the only way. You should have a legal VIN. Make sure it's a zero in the eigth. Then, no worries!