Sign in to follow this  

Vacuum Problem?

2003 KLX 400 R. Will not run at idle, must choke to start,and popping on decel. Removed and cleaned jets and passages of carb at least 3 times in the last 2 weeks. The only change I've made to the bike from stock is the installation of a Twin Air filter. Plug is new--since it was replaced the last time I put it back together. Since I knew carb was clean, I started to look for air/vacuum leaks. I used some vacuum block -offs and eliminated the first, upstream vaccum hose . The bike amazingly started right up and runs good--steady idle, no decel popping, and will start repeatedly with no choke (haven't taken it offroad yet). The problem is--the vacuum hose, diaphragm, and o ring all look good. Where should I look or what else should I do to fix the problem. Thank you.

I tried to blow air through hose (wrong direction?) and I couldn't with the other end blocked off. Hose visually appears to be in good condition. Thanks for the reply.

I would try a new piece of hose. Since by eliminating it, the bike ran good, you fund the issue. Perhaps it has stiffened or stretched at the atttaching nipples, therby not sealing