CR or YZ that is the question???

The "yz or crf" posts are getting old, nothing personal to the posteee, but I can pretty much garuantee you that the YZF guys are going to vote for the Blue and the CRF guys are going to Vote Red, just usually works that way ๐Ÿ™‚

If you are in the posistion to buy a bike, do the research, ride both of them if possible and make an educated choice.

Seeing that im with the YZ boys, ill vote Blue, but you could see that one coming :D

but I can pretty much garuantee you that the YZF guys are going to vote for the Blue and the CRF guys are going to Vote Red...

I figured it'd be worth a post to buck that trend. I guess you could say I'm a YZF (426) guy.

I haven't ridden a YZ 450 yet, that could potentially change my mind (I only have a few minutes seat time on a CRF), but it would have little affect on the two main (and very practical) reasons why, in the Team Hick shootout, the '03 CRF edges out the '03 YZF:

1) The CRF has had a year to work out the bugs, which they did (we hope), whereas there are a host of new (read: unproven) things on the YZF 450. Also, you can already get desert tanks, SDG seats, a host of aftermarket exhausts/sparkys etc. for the Honda.

2) (as Hick zips up his flame-proof leathers) The YZF is a four speed, and Team Hick needs all the gears it can get its hands on.

Also, before I get ripped for not giving the YZ (and its missing gear) a chance, there are no motocross tracks in the city I live in, ergo no unsuspecting test-mule donors, so unless a riding partner buys one (or I do) I won't get that opportunity.

Also part II: I reserve the right to buy a new WR, or even a 300 MXC. At some point I'll make that decsion, and that will be the same day I buy. ๐Ÿ™‚

So I think that it obviously depends more on your tastes, preferences, riding style, what you are going to do with the bike, and maybe even which dealer is better (though not in my case cuz one guy sells KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Husky, Suzuki, etc.) than on any objective sense of which bike is "better." Because nobody can really say that one is better than the other.

Hey man don't feel bad about asking the question. I'm totally perplexed about this one myself. I've owned both brands over the years and liked them equally well. I'm getting ready to switch from my 01 426 and cannot make up my mind. I think I may have to just go down to a dealer, have them blindfold me and then just stumble around in the dark until I trip over one or the other and buy it!

maintenance is a crap shot you can never tell me and my buddy got the same bike at the same time sir# 5 apart i did the same maint. at the same time and we always roded togather his bike broke all the time and mine was bullit prof he sold his after 9 mnth. and got mine never had a prob. with it so get the one that fits you and ride the hell out of it and hope for the best .both bikes are made great

Dude,

when I went to the Dealer (Has both Yamaha and Honda) the YZ was 900 cheaper than the CRF....said he could get more Hondas so he could deal better on them...and if financing is needed, Honda is 7.9% for as long as you want and Yamaha is a credit card deal that wil never go away. I really can't see me being faster on one or the other, so go talk to your dealer and see if that helps. Must admitt, if they were same price, I would be on here asking the same question.

LOL,

Mitch

if you are a two stroke guy converting to 4strokes, then the honda is going to be an easy changeover. if you rode a 426 then youll love the yz is the choice. the honda has very little engine braking compared to the yz. i have spent several hours in several different areas on the yz and i own a crf. i will let it be know that i only own a crf because i cant stand the engine braking on the yz. im only 170 lbs and the crf feels lighter to me in the air. the yz turns better if you are lazy. the crf begs to be turned aggressively. if you get lazy on the crf the front end will push at speeds that the yz is stable at. you just have to put your body weight over the front wheel on the crf. the crf is as light in the air or lighter than my 01 yz250f(which for the record i love). and i have lightened up the 250f by several pounds. the yz carries the weight higher in the frame than the crf so even though it is a few pounds lighter it feels heavier in certain instances. it has monster midrange power and hits VERY hard. if you are not very heavy or in good shape the yz will wear you out sooner than a crf. Heavier guys dont notice the weight difference of the two. if you ride in the desert but not all open high speed stuff then the yz is a great choice. if you ride somewhere there is excellent traction...look out cause the yz rips. it isnt necessarily faster, just more violent in the way it gets to speed. suspension on both bikes is very good just different. heavier guys will have to revalve or respring both anyway. long winded response i know but i have alot of time on both of them. the yz is a killer bike but you have to know if you can handle it. the crf is very friendly to beginners and experts alike. both bikes have more power than anyone except a pro can use in most situations anyway. as an owner of a yz250f and crf. i would say both are very reliable but the yz is a new motor and the crf has been around for a bit. so i stick with my original assertion. if you are a two stroke guy switching the crf is best choice. if you rode a 426 then try both but i bet youll be happier on a yz.

Over abused question for sure, but good thing is it looks like were at least all growing up........this post hasn't turned into a name calling and flame fest like they have in the past (at least not yet :D)!!

Cudo's to us ๐Ÿ™‚..........

I'd be ecstatic to ride either one!!!

Dodger :D :D

Shuuuuuush! YOU'll Jinx it! :D

My .02, the CRF is a great bike, wonderful motor. It's kind'a cramped for us tall guys.

I sold my '02 and I'm getting a YZF. Not because it's "BETTER", just better for me! I like the taller YZ and the bigger feel overall. Same reason I like the KTM's! :D Wait maybe I should get a 520! Oh no....here we go again! ๐Ÿ™‚