Hey Jeb

Jeb sometime ago you were saying the reason a 450 EXC was having a problem turning over the motor (assuming a good battery) was the exhaust valve was a little lose. Since the auto decompression is on the exhaust cam it was not opening enough to release the pressure. Well I started having the same problem and tightened the exhaust valve, which was a little lose but not bad. This helped the engine to turn over faster unless I pull the choke out. As soon as I do the engine starts to lug down and the electric starter will hardly turn it over. Any ideas??

Lee

Did you set all the valves to spec, .005? That usually helps the most. What temps are we talking about? If it's much below 40f and the bike has been sitting, it's iffy as to whether the happy button will get mine cranked up on the first start of the day. Does the bike have a problem cranking after it's warmed up a bit?

Yes I reset all the valves and it helped the starting problem but it still drags with the choke on. It does not matter if it's outside or in my garage (temp 55). As I said it seems to drag only when I use the choke? I can use the elec starter and it turns over fine until I pull the choke out then it starts dragging and will not turn the motor over. Once the bike is warm, no problem with the starter. As a matter of fact it is no problem starting the bike with the choke on, first thing in the morning or in my garage, if I use the kick starter. It takes two or three kicks and starts right up.

Just seems kind of strange because the bike never did this before and started being hard to start with the elec starter after 50 hours or so on the bike.

Lee

I'm not sure why that's happening, Lee. The only thing that makes sense is that the choke circuit is overly rich. Kind of like if you give the bike gas before hitting the e-start and it won't crank. I don't think there's any adjustment to the choke circuit directly, though.

What's your current jetting?

Hey Jeb your right the choke has no adjustment but I may try a leaner starting jet to see what happens. Right now my jetting is stock with the needle enriched two notches. The thing is I've ran the same jetting since I've owned it.

Well thanks for your help Jeb and if anyone else is experiencing the same problem let me know.

Lee

CrazyGoat the plug is fine, I replaced it when I readjusted my valves. The old one was a nice brown color and the bike ran fine after the first start of the day. That's the thing that baffles me a bit, it's just when I try to start it first thing with the choke on, with the elec starter. I have recharged my battery and it still lugs down the motor when the choke is pulled out. When the choke is in the motor turns over just fine. If I kick start it then it only takes two or three kick, with the choke out. What I am not sure of is why the choke is causing this problem. It's not a big deal but it bugs me because it has been a progressive thing. For the first 45 hours or so the bike started right up, first thing in the morning, using the elec starter. I can only think of two things that have changed. One is the temps are colder, but it does it in my garage. Two Oregon switched to oxygenated fuel about the time it started to be a problem??

Lee