OIL - WHAT'S BEST

I am about to change the oil for the first time in my 525 EXC and am looking for the best choice. I have seen several recent posts regarding Mobile One Synthetic vs. Motul 10W40 Semi-Synthetic. Which way should I go?????? Or, is there something even better. I have a couple of friends with '02 520's that are using Mobile One which is the way I was planning on going, however I think I am leaning toward the Motul now. Is this available at most Motorcycle shops?

Thanks

JN

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked out the other Web site, however I may be more confused than ever. Anyone else out there that would like to voice there opinion on the subject? It would appear that oil can make a big difference in the way that the bike shifts and the noice that the tranny generates. I guess I am just being over-cautious however I think that is probably the prudent approach based on how much these darn things cost......

Thanks Again

JN

Good, I'm glad you're confused. It's a confusing issue with some guys finding one oil works great and the next guy didn't like it. Try some different oils and see if you can tell any difference. Just change it often and don't use any oils with friction modifiers in them.

Thanks for the continuing GOOD info. Sounds like there are several fine choices.

Is Mobil1 Red Cap an automotive oil?

If so, is it better to use Mobil 1 4XT M/C oil? Where can I get this?

Do most M/C stores carry the Mobil 1 4XT or Motul 5100 Semi-synthetic 10W40?

Thanks

JN

PS: I am changing oil this weekend for the first time so it for me this is a timely post. Thanks again

Yes, the red cap is an automotive oil but it's the only fully synthetic one that I'm aware of that does not have the friction modifiers. Mobil sure want's you using their much more expensive motorcycle specific oils but there are a LOT of folks who use the red cap and have no problems. I use it in our 2 strokes.

Go to this link Mobile 1 Red Cap

Please keep in mind that there are many people on this site that use Mobile 1 15-50 with great results. I just tried it in my bike for the first time and it made my clutch growl when releasing it. I broke in my bike with regular dino oil for the first few changes and then went with the Mobile 1. I recently just switched to the Motul and it improved things for me. I may end up trying the mobile again just to see how it does. I would try the Mobile oil. It cant hurt any thing. If it doesn’t work for you, just drain it and go with the Motul.

Good luck

Just changed the oil and put in the Motul 5100 15W50. Took it down the street and I already notice a decrease in noise and an easier time to find neutral. I may try the Mobil 1 4XT in the future just to check it out. I know there are a lot of people using that with great results as well.

Thanks for all the help everyone. 🙂:D :D

JN

• Experts

DO NOT USE AUTOMOTIVE OIL IN YOUR BIKE !

Even Mobil 1. Unless it is motorcycle type. A couple years ago Mobil changed the formulation and added friction modifiers. Ask a Mobil oil engineer if you don't believe me. Friction modifiers are good for engine but horrible for wet clutch. The oil companies had to add friction modifiers when they had to remove the phosphorus and Zinc additives due to catalitic converters. These metalic lubricants were good for plain bearings and cam and rockers. I use Maxima Extra in my bikes and have NEVER had an oil related failure. Use 5w50 or the 15w50. If in a bind on the road and you have to find some oil I hear that you can get by with Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic diesel oil. This doesn't have friction modifiers but I don't know how stable the oil is . Motorcycle oils use the more expensive shear resistant additives and lubes. Under a microscope, synthetic oils look like speggetti. The Transmission and wet clutch will cut lower quality oil to little pieces, losing its viscocity. Shear resistant oils will squash flat but stay together retaining most of its viscocity under stress. Play it safe and use the SYNTHETIC MOTORCYCLE oils with higher levels of phosphorus and zinc.

Cher'o,

Dwight

While Dwight's warning is a good one, he's wrong about this one particular oil. M1 auto 15w50 does NOT have the friction modifiers. Many of us, myself included, called Mobil's 800 number after the recent re-do of the formula and label and asked that question and been told that it does not have them. If you ask just about the modifiers, you should get a straight answer. If you start down the "is it okay for my motorcycle" path, you may have a harder time figuring out what they mean as they'll try to push the more expensive MC oil on you. And I'm sure that's good oil, too.

• Experts

I know oil is a personal preference thing and many of you try and get by with the cheapest crap you can buy at Wally World, but I was told otherwise by the Mobil engineers. The 15w50 Mobil 1 does contain less of the friction modifiers (also known as STP) but it does contain them. They also used to recommend oil changes every 25,000 miles in your car but don't anymore. I use a good quality reputable M/C synthetic oil and change the filter every other time. I feel these engines don't contain enough oil and are too expensive to take chances with. They are Competition engines not low compression , low rpm , industrial , desposable types.

If you call Mobil, ask if the oil is safe for WET CLUTCH Motorcycle engines.

Cher'o,

Dwight

I ran the Red Cap stuff in the race bikes (SUZUKI sportbikes) for years and never had a problem. I am only running MOTUL at present since they sponsor me. I use the 5100 blend all season long. In the summer 20W-50 in the winter 10W-40. I change the oil in my 250 EXC RFS ever other ride and the filters on the third ride. The oil is still clean when I drop it.

I don't think the cheap shot about "buying the cheapest crap" was really needed here but I would like to bring up one point. The fully synthetic oils with the friction modifiers are actually better for the motor internals than the stuff without. The only problem with them is that they are too slippery for wet clutches and can lead to early clutch wear/failure.

I use a MC specfic oil too in my RFS but I don't think others are making a bad choice with the M1. I run a semi-syn (that's another thread 🙂 ) but if I ran fully syn, I'd use the M1.

I just called Mobil. No friction modifiers in the red cap stuff. That's the 2nd time out of 2 calls I've gotten that response.