Drew from Seattle found the Lost Dutchman?

Yeah, a week of craziness. We had a blast! Made it to the top of Test Hill with my knobby! You should have seen the faces of the people in buggies and on quads with paddle tires when all the sudden a bike with a knobby and license plate shows up next to them! Ha Ha.

My traveling partner, Christopher, has a 01 S, and we put a paddle tire on that. He had a blast out in the dunes. He crashed out (hit a witches eye) on the last day of riding on the way back to camp. Turns out he dislocated/seperated his shoulder.

My favorite riding is open desert and sand washes. We found some wide unspoiled washes (recent rain) where we were able to open it up and just carve through. I was suprised once when I looked down at my speedo and was doing 70mph up a wash.

One of my friends lives in Gold Rock all year (lucky guy, all he does is ride). He's got video of a rainstorm and flash floods that surrounded the RV park there in Gold Rock. The amount of water that flows through those washes is amazing.

Something else that is amazing is those Suzuki Samuris. (sp?). Those little things go anywhwere. As my buddy Rob says, "You gotta float the valves to be really sure you're getting all you can out of 'em." We were barreling up blind washes in those things. They handle amazingly well and don't tip like you'd think they would, even on off-camber corners. On the first night there on a "Sammy Mission" my buddy Rob said, "There's a jump up ahead. Want to take it?" I said "Sure", and he said with a wicked grin "We're going kinda fast." I said "hit it". We nailed this jump and got about 5 feet of air, landing pancake flat on all 4 wheels. I lost about an inch of height because of the compression, but other than that we came through unscathed. 5 feet doesn't seem like much until you do it in one of those things! The guys in the Sammys behind us were amazed and cracked up when they saw our launch. We did these 'Sammy Missions' every night and always to a different destination. Lots of fun.

The riding was great and both DRZs' performed flawlessly. The only downside is that after some serious big-bowl riding, which is pretty hard on the motor when you don't have a paddle, I found that my water pump is now weeping out coolant.

We did a dual-sport ride to Picacho to meet up with a buddy who brought some jet skis. That was a fun day. Picacho is a state park, so you have to have a license plate even though it is all dirt roads and jeep trails.

All-in-all, it was a great trip. Next year instead of Thanksgiving, I'm gonna go down there for New Years.

Just some history on those Samuri's, years ago we were riding in one of the local spots(now a housing development)when we heard this racket coming towards us. It sounded like the two stroke from hell but when it came into view it was'nt a bike but lo and behold a Suzuki street legal four wheel vehicle. I recall it looked similar to the old WWII army jeeps. I couldnt believe it was a smoker, but it was and the guy was having a blast running around in that thing. Whether or not they called them Samuri's back then I dont know but that model also went any place he pointed it! It was small light and LOUD!!! Any one ever see or hear of them as I have never seen one since. 🙂

I have one of those Samuri's I use it to pull a field sprayer as it's day job but your right they're a lot of fun and if you get stuck a couple guys can just liuft the rear end and move it. If you get down this way new years let me know we generally camp out in that area over New Years. Glad ya had a good time...

Later,

John

Years ago I was on a trail and I heard this noise comming at me and saw one of the early suzuki 4WDs painted with different color poka-dots bouncing and a bucking up the hill towards me. When it got to the top where i was it stopped and forty clowns jumped out and ran around it got back in and left. 🙂