what kind of synthetic oils???

mobil 1 15w50 "red cap" -- two '01 "250F" bikes here and no problems. if you get lucky you can find a 5qt jug at wal-mart for only US$17.88, or something like that. sometimes "BJ's wholesale" here in NJ has a "six pack special", six shrink-wrapped qts for US$19.99.

anyone know where/how to buy mobil 1 in bulk on the 'net? i need 5qt (or greater jugs) of both 5w30 and 15w50 and wal-mart doesn't always have them. and recently i've heard that wal-mart isn't going to carry them anymore. 🙂

jim aka the wrooster

I work for a Lubricant Company, as long as you run a good quality Synthetic formulated for a MOTORCYCLE and not a car. What you get when you go to wal-mart and buy a synthetic is a lubricant that has friction modifiers which is generally Zinc. What that will do is impregnate itself into the fibrous plates of you clutch and create kind of a glaze. It is ok to use that on say a CRF which has seperate clutch and engine oil. If you want the absolute best Lubricant you want to go with a ESTHER based synthetic. They are the most advanced and modified of all lubricants.

The new formula Mobil 1 15w-50 is SL rated and designed for automobiles. Our manuals states to use an SH rated oil designed primarily for motorcycles.

As the petroleum industry continues to revise its oils for automobiles, they they will become less and less compatible with motorcycles. I don't know any automobile engines that red-line at 13,500 RPM like the 250F does.

The Yamalube product is really a semi-synthetic oil - not fully synthetic. If you change oil often like you should, using full synthetic oil is overkill & wasteful (not to mention costs) IMHO.

I use Castro Syntec-blend 20W50 (semi-synthetic) which is similar to the Yamalube product - you can buy it by the gallon and it works well for me. I have very good results using Castro Syntec 5W30 (full synthetic) oil for our BMWs, which is recommended by BMW and this is actually written on the oil cap (the BMW service dept said to use Mobil 1 as an alternative if we can't find Castro Syntec) - I can actually feel the difference in the engine with a new oil change! I thought BMW endorsing Castro on their oil cap was unusual, are they in a partnership?

I've used Castro regular oil and synthetic oil for years in my various autos, their products are really good with respect to oil breaking down for high revving smaller engines. I've also used Mobil 1 synthetic oil, it is also really good stuff.

wrracer writes:

What you get when you go to wal-mart and buy a synthetic is a lubricant that has friction modifiers which is generally Zinc. What that will do is impregnate itself into the fibrous plates of you clutch and create kind of a glaze.

here we go again.

the whole idea with Mobil 1 15W50 is that it *DOESN'T HAVE* friction modifiers. M1 in 15W50 weight is a non-EC oil, and therefore it is perfectly OK to use in a wet clutch system.

there's a lot more (substantiated) oil-related info here

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

and here

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/oilreport.html

and recently i clarified things for TT folks here:

Mobil 1 10w30 vs 15w50?

ps

if you work for a lubricant company, you know that zinc is not a "friction modifier" per se. zinc (actually "ZDDP" is what the lubrication industry calls a zinc + phosphorous additive package) is an extreme pressure anti-wear additive that can help prevent [galling|siezure|whatever] when there is direct metal-to-metal contact. pick a good synthetic (there are several) and this metal-to-metal contact never happens due to the very high film strength (>3000psi).