valves update - 57hrs on them, 120.9 on motor

i've been doing a "long term" test on the valves in my bike.

the factory recall replacements were put in 57 hours ago with the following setup: LE.009 RE.009 LI.005 CI.006 RI.005

i have not looked at them since.

my "long term" is defined as: i'm not gonna look at them for a "long term". ha ha ha.

so i did today.

this is *NOT* a red bike. nor a green or yellow.

this is a blue bike. the very definition of longevity and reliablity.

57 hours of racing and practice has passed and here are the results:

LE.009 RE.009 LI.004 CI.005 RI.004 and the intakes are a loose fit.

maybe i'll check them again in '09. or not.

When I purchased my first Yamaha I also bought some spares as well, off TT, including a set of valves........ which I still have.

It is a 2005 WR250F and at 277 Hrs still has the original shims in and is in spec.

We also have a 2006 YZ250F which has just one shim changed (left intake) at 150 Hrs.

This valve was "firm" with the .102mm feeler gauge originally at 19 Hrs when the bike was purchased, going to too tight now.

It would be interesting to have a database of records established from those with hourmeters to record first adjustments, and see also how long they last after the first or second shim.

320 Hours on my 2004 WR250F (16500km/10,300 miles)

Valves were ALL in spec when i tore it down for a rebuild (EX both 0.18mm, intakes LI 0.11mm, CI 0.11, RI 0.11. I never once had to reshim in it's whole life, and I used to rev the crap out of it and only changed the oil every 500-600 miles!

I recently rebuilt the whole bike and replaced all bearings/seals/o-rings/valves/valve springs/chains/sprockets etc etc.

Also added head porting, JE 290 kit, S1 hotcams, FMF powerbomb.

I've never had a Yamaha valve need reshimming. However, I had an '04 RMZ 250 that had a NEW valve put in that lasted 3.5 hours before it was completely out of spec and had to be replaced again. THREE POINT FIVE hours.

That's the only non-blue 4-stroke I've owned, and it was the last. My '05 YZF is still running perfect. I don't expect it to do anything less till I get an '10, or '11 model.

I have an 05YZF with probably 150 hours on it. (no hour meter unfortunately) But I've only ever shimmed the center intake valve. I worked at a Honda dealer in the service department and none of us mechanics road Honda's. We all knew better. Even the Honda scooters would come in needing valve adjustments all the time.

I have an 05YZF with probably 150 hours on it. (no hour meter unfortunately) But I've only ever shimmed the center intake valve. I worked at a Honda dealer in the service department and none of us mechanics road Honda's. We all knew better. Even the Honda scooters would come in needing valve adjustments all the time.

??

I used to be a mechanic in a yamaha dealership, and I did have to reshim yamaha's a bit, although the bikes that needed shimming looked like the airfilter was never cleaned. I check the valves on my 06 250F more often then nessecary mainly because I'm a perfectionist and its a 15min job, I'm a bit lazy too so I'm always happy when mine never need to be adjusted.?

I have a 2005 with a estimated 90+ hrs since I purchased it used in 06 (no hour meter, but I've been recording usage time manually). Every since I noticed the clearances getting close to the min. (about 1-1/2 yr ago), I've been checking them every 10-15 hrs. After last nights recheck, I'm glad to say that exhausts and intakes are all still at or near min clearance... and it still has the original shims.

jpsYZF

I've never had a Yamaha valve need reshimming. However, I had an '04 RMZ 250 that had a NEW valve put in that lasted 3.5 hours before it was completely out of spec and had to be replaced again. THREE POINT FIVE hours.

That's the only non-blue 4-stroke I've owned, and it was the last. My '05 YZF is still running perfect. I don't expect it to do anything less till I get an '10, or '11 model.

Thats funny I have an 04 RMZ-250 with 40 hours on fresh engine, valves havent even moved..... I love my bike. BTW it has a new engine because the previous owner put the oil filter in backwards. ? Dumb@$$

i wish mine lasted that long i think when i had mine replaced for the recall they messed up the head im on my 3rd set at 190 hours the ones in it now have been in for about 60 and havent moved

3rd set? Do you hold this thing on the limiter all day? Do you keep the air filter maintained?