question on slightly bent radiator

My left radiator has been slightly bent for 2 months. I was able to pull it out a little but some fins are still squished. Have ridden about 4 hours every weekend since with no problems of overheating whatsoever. I do live in Western Oregon however so temp is almost always below 75 (below 55 now). Any deformation will reduce airflow through the fins thus reducing cooling ability. It just depends on how much reduction and how much cooling is needed due to your riding style and ambient temps. Just keep riding and see.

my left rad has 4 cores missing....... no overheating... I ran two seperate races on crushed left radiators, so bad i couldn't bolt the shroud on, with no problems. I had a habit of whiping out the left side rads.. The rads look PRETTY bad befor flow is restricted. I think im over the rad crushing fetish now.. I will have to take a picture of my left side rad that i have on the bike now, its pretty remarkable that the bike doesn't run hot. I checked the temp after 15 hard laps and it wasn't any different than when i had a good left rad on. I have a new one for next season.

PS. I have WC braces... Ive mangled my left side one more ways than you can imagine and the right side of the bike looks like new!

One weekend I crashed without them and trashed my r. radiator. I bought a new one and installed the WC gaurds and crashed again (in the same spot!) with no damage done. So on my '02 and '03 I trashed radiators without the WC gaurds and they saved me when I installed them later. I won't even start my '04 without them on.

Kevin

motorep146@msn.com

The WC braces help but thats all they do, help. It has to do with the way the bike hits. I think the reason why I trash left side rads like mad for a while is cuzz i would let go of the throttle last. No, im not panic reving or anything, just letting go last. Thus making my left side vulnerable to whatever the ground submits it to. The WC braces will help from a crash that would normally twist the top of the rad forward and gives it some crush resistance (not alot). Any wrecks that the bike hits a rut or something catchs the rad, its screw. I should have taken a picture of the WC brace the one wreck i had. It was bent in all 90 degree angles. Personally if i was WC i would roll the top and bottom edges more... til they are in the shape of a tub on the edges and then tack them with a tig welder.. the strength would increase greatly... i had my fins off of my rad for a while... and put a bolt into the top holes.. it made it alot stronger too but subjected your rad to roost

send it to Myler's Aluminum Radiator Repair for an inexpensive, professional repair.

Terry Myler charges $35 to straighten the radiator, and pressure check. If the radiator is leaking, and needs welded, he charges $15 for the first weld, and $5 for any additonal welds after the first. His work is top-notch, and your radiator will function, and look like new when you get it back.

Best part is one day turn-around time!

I haven't been too impressed with my Works Connection radiator braces. They seemed flimsy when I put them on. My brother laughed at me and said you paid $50 for sheet metal!!???

I've only had one moderate wreck on them and my left radiator got pretty hammered. I got manly on it and straightened it out pretty good by hand though. I will grant that the WC brace did help... but not much. Obviously some protection is better than none, but I think the Devol's look like they offer much better protection.

Left Side Radiator Pictures

Left Side Rad Picture 2

Here are two pictures of my left side radiator. This is my second New radiator I put on the bike. It is the third time it has been fixed too. The first two times it did not leak. 3rd wreck it did. My step brother and his buddy from work are both professional TIG welders. Unfortunatly not mechanics. I asked them to try to seal the first core up. They tacked it with the TIG and then hooked a 180lb air hose to it to test it. To no suprise it had a pin hole. So they continued. I arrived later to tell them that a pin hole wont leak water out at the PSI it has on it normally. Too late, i was already missing 4 cores. lol. I ran this radiator in at least five races. The bike never over heated and still has the same coolant level. I have a new one, but know that once i put it on it will get crushed. I dont think my 50 dollar investment on the WC braces were worth it. I feel that if WC wanted to they could design a pretty good brace. I have some ideas... If I had the money and time I might persue them.