Anyone also ride a VFR?

I was just wondering if any other WR-F owners also owned a Honda VFR. I've seen the bike mentioned in this forum a few times and it got me thinking that possibly the same demographic that the WR appeals to would also purchase a VFR.I think that they are very similiar in some strange way,and therefore they should attract the same buyers.Any comments?

Pete:

I do not own a VFR but would love to have one. A good friend of mine owns a 95 model and I took it for a ride, smooth, flat torque curve and comfortable. Did not have the guts I was looking for though.. very nice ride and very nice..

I'm a former VFR owner. Actually, it was the old VFR 700 1988. Very very nice bike. I've ridden a few of the newer models and they all have that certain quality that just make them special. I drool every time I see the new ones, who knows, maybe some day I'll Carolyn to ride street as well...

I do see that quality that seems to make WR’s and VFR’s similar in some way. I cant quite put my finger on it though.

------------------

JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

I have a 00'WR400 and also have a honda CBR900RRV Fireblade....obviously I love both bikes

Bruce

UK

oops

[This message has been edited by bruce (edited 12-03-2000).]

Yep. Ive got an old 1987 VFR. Great fun with heaps of low end grunt. Good build quality also.

Originally posted by Pete Z:

…possibly the same demographic that the WR appeals to would also purchase a VFR.

I’m in the demographic group that is scared to death of street bikes or, more accurately, is scared to death of traffic while on a street bike.

Come to think of it I’m scared of traffic in my ¾ ton Chevy…

…but I own a YZ so I guess I don’t count… :)

Hick,there is nothing to fear but fear itself.If you ride the street with the attitude that no-one can see you,and those that can are out to get you,you will be fine.I've ridden pavement for 14 years and have only crashed 3 times,every time my fault.(with the help of a bee once)For getting around street bikes beat cars anyday(except rainy ones).I have a 97 VFR with a Hindle high right slip-on,Dynojet kit,K&N filter and a Corbin seat.I love the damn thing almost as much as my WR.........

Pete,

I’m sure if you pay attention it’s reasonably safe.

But sometimes while on a dirt bike my brain gets a little unhinged. Usually I just end up ingesting some Mesquite bushes. On the street I would end up ingesting that ’84 Olds Cutlass that just pulled out in front of me right after my brain unhinged and I accelerated to 140 mph…

You get the picture. Not only do I not trust the average driver (who does?), but I don’t trust myself. The desert is like a padded cell for me, pavement and autos are too unforgiving.

I’d love to hear your bee story. I almost rolled my truck when a wasp flew in the window (I’m allergic to wasps and squeal like a little girl when they get near me).

Hick,I was riding my '81 CB 650 Custom minding my own business,having a great time, when I felt something bounce off my left hand and hit me in the neck.A short time later I realized that whatever had hit me in the neck had dropped down into the collar of my leather jacket and was crawling around.In retrospect I suppose that at this point I should have just stopped the bike.Instead I tried to extricate my unwanted hitchhiker while mobile.Meanwhile,Mr.Bumble Bee was still reeling from a 30 mph impact,and getting upset with his apparent imprisonment inside my coat.When I started digging at his location in an attempt to remove him,he retaliated by repeatedly stinging my neck. It felt like someone was trying to decapitate me with a red-hot finishing nail.That was when I forgot that I was riding a motorcycle.I began beating my neck like a self-abusive lunatic.I remembered that I was riding a motorcycle when I was sliding along the pavement.Final tally; 1 dead bee,1 scratched Honda,1 minor case of road rash,and 1 important lesson learned.

LOL!!

That's a funny story...

Having the very good fortune to have a wife who also enjoys motorcycling, last May she bought me a 2000 VFR800, I was really surprised :). She gave up her dirt bike last year after having hip replacement surgery, but she still enjoys riding our street bikes, either short trips or long multiday trips. Life is GREAT!! :D

I love my 49 state 1998 VFR800 it has an Ohlins 46HRCLS rear shock:eek :(worth every dollar too!) :),Wolf Racing under the seat exhaust,Lindeman revalve on the forks, Dunlop D207zr tires. Im putting Heli bars on(got em) but no time right now. Want a corbin saddle and a SECDEM windscreen next.

when I want to go riding my head goes ..... WR? VFR? WR? VFR?

------------------

Nathan Apelbaum

99 WR400F IMS Tank/seat,Scotts full suspension mods,Fastlines front line w/CR routing,Scotts Tripletree,Dampner and Protapers,Scotts shark fin,Big Gun tapered header and muffler,W.R.D. 7.5oz flywheel weight, de-octopussed, Ricky Stator rewind, Air box lid off,UNI Air filter,14/48 gearing,DSC legalizer kit,Work connection frame guards & throttle tube,WB skid plate, Devol Rad guards,Dunlop K139 Frt D606 rear and a couple of other little bits

Nathan,your viffer sounds sweet!How do you like the EFI?I may move up to an 800,I'm just worried that I won't like it as much as my carbureted 750.

The EFI is sweet .....the throttle response is incredible ..... it is just a little touchy before until you get used to it. The front end reachs for the sky with very little effort! If Honda made this same bike with 1000cc's and fully adjustable suspenders it would be the perfect street bike

IMHO

------------------

Nathan Apelbaum

99 WR400F IMS Tank/seat,Scotts full suspension mods,Fastlines front line w/CR routing,Scotts Tripletree,Dampner and Protapers,Scotts shark fin,Big Gun tapered header and muffler,W.R.D. 7.5oz flywheel weight, de-octopussed, Ricky Stator rewind, Air box lid off,UNI Air filter,14/48 gearing,DSC legalizer kit,Work connection frame guards & throttle tube,WB skid plate, Devol Rad guards,Dunlop K139 Frt D606 rear and a couple of other little bits

Pete what part of the world are you in?

Nathan,I live in Orillia,Ontario,Canada. Orillia is a small city (pop.27000)which is located approximately 100 km north of Toronto.

I have a 97 XR400R with a street legalizer and I have a 05 VFR. You may be on to something.

I have an 04 VFR 800Fi VTEC and love it to death. It's a great compromise between a tourer and a sports bike. I have no trouble at all keeping up with any of the sports bike my friends ride but the biggest thing is when we arrive at our rest stop, I just hope off feeling refreshed and comfortable while the crawl off there sports bikes with aching forearms.

More than enough power, handles great and is also very very comfortable for touring if you want. And you gotta love that V4 rumble. It's like a small block chevy :thumbsup:

No sorry R1200gs bmw,got WR450F because beamer is :thumbsup: to fat for off road