Sign in to follow this  

525 exc fan / battery issue

I have the factory fan installed to cool my radiator on my 525. The problem I have is that it runs after the motor turns off if the engine is hot and thus I am wearing out my battery prematurely. This has also happened to my buddies XCR. We were talking about a kill switch that would shut it off when we shut the bike down. I suppose that would work.

Any ideas on this? Have these issues occured w/ others.

MIR>

I have the factory fan installed to cool my radiator on my 525. The problem I have is that it runs after the motor turns off if the engine is hot and thus I am wearing out my battery prematurely. This has also happened to my buddies XCR. We were talking about a kill switch that would shut it off when we shut the bike down. I suppose that would work.

Any ideas on this? Have these issues occured w/ others.

MIR>

Try---> http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463310&page=3

The AC to DC conversion is one way.

You can also do what they call floating the ground.

Or you can get a larger output stator from TrailTech.

When your battery finnally dies, get the 7 series battery for the replacement. AFTER you do one of the above mods.

:thumbsup:

Here is what I found on Yuasa website

Battery Family: YTZ Factory Activated, Maintenance Free

Battery Type: YTZ7S

Voltage: 12

Capacity (Amp. Hrs.): 6

Dimensions: 4 7/16" x 2 3/4" x 4 1/8"

Weight: 4.6 lbs.

Metric Dimensions: 113mm x 70mm x 105mm

Metric Weight: 2.1 kg

Charging Current (Amps.): 0.6

C.C.A.: 130

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Battery Family: Maintenance Free

Battery Type: YTX5L-BS

Voltage: 12

Capacity (Amp. Hrs.): 4

Dimensions: 4.5" x 2.8125" x 4.1875"

Weight: 3.5 lbs.

Metric Dimensions: 114mm x 71mm x 106mm

Metric Weight: 1.6 kg

Charging Current (Amps.): 0.5

C.C.A.: 70

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

59011055100 Battery Carrier plast.Black 05, is

required if you currently have the 4 series battery.

I have the fan installed from the dealer on my 530 exc-r and Im wondering does the fan turn on while the bike is running? I only notice it on after the bike is stopped running and that would seem counter productive.

the rads actually gets hotter when you turn it off cuz the water isnt circulating and the air isnt moving across the rads, so the fan comes on.

Hmm, I just bought a fan but havent installed it yet. I was told if I get the aftermkt battery it wont matter if the fan runs afterwards because the aftermkt battery can handle it. IS that true?

there is also a thread over the last few days about floating the ground and another about a rectifier for the fan, fixes many of the battery issues with a fan

Hmm, I just bought a fan but havent installed it yet. I was told if I get the aftermkt battery it wont matter if the fan runs afterwards because the aftermkt battery can handle it. IS that true?

You will still need to use a diode or float the ground, I have the big batery, it helps but when it is hot it will kill the battery as the charging syustem will not have enought power to do it all.

A battery will not carry sustained loads. The stator does that. The battery gives the system stability and your starter full capability when cold or under heavy use (ie. waiting for riders and having to kill the engine- all day)

Figure out how many watts you are drawing on the system and power it to make that number, with some surplus. Then buy the best battery you can find.

"We were talking about a kill switch that would shut it off when we shut the bike down. I suppose that would work."

Mike, that is the simple solution that worked for me. I just cut the supply wire and put in a very simple on/off switch. I then just had to remember to put the switch to on, once I re-started up my engine

I had my dealer upgrade my stator to the trail tech

If I remeber correctly, it was under $200.00 installed

The fan on my 530 comes on if im riding slow and only

stays on for about 30 seconds after the bike is turned off.

My battery is bone stock and it has not run down since the

stator upgrade

I ride mine every day :thumbsup:

Wayne