Sign in to follow this  

06 KTM 525exc Cooling system flush

The way I did my 2006 KTM is drain the old Coolent refill the system with fresh water drained that and refilled it again with fresh water 5 to 6 times I made sure there was no more color to the flush water and flushed out at least 2 more times after it just to make sure it was all out let the system drain real good, then put in the new Engine Ice and called it good.

Make sure you on the engine by the spark plug and the top of the rad remove the plugs do the, Engine first Rad 2nd.

Bleed all the air pockets out after it full start the bike let it run for a while then after it cools down top the coolent off then you'er done.

I have a RLR overflow tank on mine I filled it up about 1/8 of the way and used a sringe and back flushed in to the rad cap when it was off untill all the air was out of the over flow tube installed the rad cap Done.

ONE more thing it going to be a mess doing the flushing out, I also use some compressed air and blew it into the cooling system to help get rid of the flush water USE LOW PRESSURE AIR ONLY.

cheers should i use distilled water as i know our water is what they call hard

water

To clean and flush the cooling system make up a mixture of 50/50 white distilled vinegar and distilled water. After draining the old coolant fill with the mixture, start the bike, warm up then stop and let it cool down. Drain the mixture and refill with 100% distilled water, again warm up the bike, let it cool and drain the distilled water. Then fill with the coolant of your choice.

The very very mild acidic nature of the distilled vinegar effective cleans the cooling system and will not harm the engine parts, seals, hoses, etc.

White distilled vinegar is available at the grocery store along with the distilled water.

Cheers

Clark

You could use distilled water but I am cheep I figured the water is not going to stay cooling system for a very long time so I not going to buy all that water just to flush the system out.

Or you could flush it out with tap water then use distilled water for you'er final flushes.

I sure others are going to give you there two cents but it's you'er bike do what floats you'er boat.

is there a trick to bleeding the cooling system on the 520/520EXC bikes?

Joe:banghead:

refill it with the screw loose on the top of the left rad. then with it on the sidestand, oped the rad cap and there is a bleed screw on the head near the spark plug you have to crack open until water comes out. that will get the trapped air out of the head.

I normally squeeze/pump the lower rad hose on the left side rad while filling just to get water moving into it better.

The cooling system can be bled with the engine running, but it is better and works just as well to bleed with the engine not running. What you want to do is tilt the bike so that the bleed points are in the highest position.

WHat you are doing when you bleed the system is letting the air bubbles out!

What is the purpose of all this? Coolant is good for about 2 years, changing it sooner is a waste but more important ly what are yo putting in? Water wetter fine, Honda coolant fine, automotive stuff scarry! Reason is most of it has silicate in it which is death to water pump seals. Your car has huge seals and can live for several years with silicate, your bike everything is tiny

Takes 3 crews and 3 bleed areas. Take the screws out and place them as you start seen fluid coming out of the respective holes.

1.-Drain screw on front of the engine close to the exhaust area.

2.-Screw on the right side of the engine by the sparkplug area.

3.-Tilt your bike to the right and fill the system till you see fluid on the hole at the top of the radiator.

Then level the bike and fill till you are 1/4 in out of the top of the finsn of the left radiator.

could some one please post a photo or two of these bleed screws? I am even more confused......

Joe

Takes 3 crews and 3 bleed areas. Take the screws out and place them as you start seen fluid coming out of the respective holes.

1.-Drain screw on front of the engine close to the exhaust area.

2.-Screw on the right side of the engine by the sparkplug area.

3.-Tilt your bike to the right and fill the system till you see fluid on the hole at the top of the radiator.

Then level the bike and fill till you are 1/4 in out of the top of the finsn of the left radiator.