Price on '03 WR's

flenn,

i'm happily married to my '01 *BUT* if i was looking to have an affair with an '03 i would call up the cunucks and use your US dollars to increase our trade gap even further. my local dealer sucks and i wouldn't give them a nickel (elsewhere on TT you can search and read how they (re)sold my brother's '01 YZF, a bike that he had a deposit on, the day it came in).

so then, i would try

http://www.shippingmasters.com/

and click on the "buy dirt bikes" link. currently they are quoting..

'03 Yamaha YZ250F $5599

'03 Yamaha WR250F $5799 (not available yet)

*including shipping* to something resembling a port. for you and me that means newark or phildelphia. newark is 25 minutes for me, that would work fine. seeing that pic of a crated bike in the back of a pickup truck is causing a hormonal imbalance in me... 🙂

(i would also be lax if i didn't point out that it's possible, maybe, that the new canadian bike would be delivered with, ehem, canadian certificate of origin paperwork which would not include the dreaded "for off-road use only" phrase. not having that phrase on your paperwork could enable you to, if say you wanted to, register and plate your new bike in our fine state (which is governed by a DMV that clearly does not want to register and plate your bike). but that's just an idea, i don't suggest doing this in any way as it may be in gross violation of several motor vehicle and civil laws; and therefore i advise you NOT repeat NOT to in any way take full advantage of this governmental oversight loophole.)

jim aka the wrooster *wanders off to plan midnight requisition at flenn's garage...*

It doesn't sound all that cool to go to Canada for the deals mentioned on the Shippingmasters website. The prices listed are either regular retail prices in the USA or dang close to it (YZ250F is US retail at $5599, WR250F at $5799.) Plus, you have to put it together and get the title information yourself, then blow off having it registered with Yamaha USA. Quite a sacrifice versus finding a reasonable dealer.

vintageyz,

i hear you buddy -- but read

https://thumpertalk.com/bike/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB6&Number=96781&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

and

https://thumpertalk.com/bike/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=152270&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

and

https://thumpertalk.com/bike/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=146964&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

no further comment is necessary. but i'll make one anyway: my local dealer had their chance to do it right. they botched it, big time. i'm not punishing them by taking my business elsewhere; they did that to themselves. they made it easy for me to want to go elsewhere. their problem, not mine. i'm a nice guy -- i still wave when i go driving by.

jim aka the wrooster

ps

sales tax, in NJ, is 6%. and 6% of $5799 is roughly $350. or enough "savings" to get myself a nice shiny new kevlar helmet to protect my bean. regarding bike assembly, having to "put it together" is nothing to me, although it may be something to others. i'd take the oppty to grease it all up anyway. and, as for having it "registered with yamaha USA", i got some bad news for you: a scant 31 days after delivery, yamaha doesn't know (or care) who you are. 🙂

pps

what do you have against canadians? :D they are pretty cool, make damn fine beer, have exported a couple of decent hockey players, and winterlude in ottawa is a whole lot of fun. plus, i saw on CNN that canadian "amateur" web sites are among the best in the world... so just imagine what their "professionals" are capable of. :D

I'm familiar with shippingmasters from this forum. If I couldn't get a reasonable price from a dealer within a reasonable driving distance, I might consider them. I'm specifically interested in prices from US dealers, though. FYI, even though the WR is still not available, the dealers should be able to provide you with pricing. If you're interested in an '03, you can start the dialog with your dealer now.

Nick, thanks for the reply. I also have a good dealer who's willing to discount in that same ballpark. Wondering how other's are doing and want to make sure I'm not leaving anything on the table.

There's obviously some poor dealers out there. But, there's some good ones too and they are trying to make a living, go riding, and look at Canadian amateurs like everyone else. Some of the real story is that Yamahas are allocated to dealers...the less they sell, the less they get. If the exchange rate should sour (and it has before,) you will then have less machines in the USA to pick from.

Plus, you are wrong about Yamaha not caring after 30 days. I've been involved where YZ clutch assemblies, tanks, top ends, etc., have been warrantied; way past 30 days.

I'm in the industry and see jobs lost, as in many non-related industries, because people send their dollars outside their communities. Dealerships employee people. People who may buy your products or services. Like the fellow that calls a dealer and says he's going to buy his WR in Canada, but oh, by the way, what bend of bars was I going to put on it?

ok amn i am getting mine any day now was figuring it would be here by now.

any way I am giving 🙂:D $5300 for mine waaaahoooo feel like I am geting a great deal compared to what some ppl are gonna have to pay to get theres.

there selling mine now should be gone any day.I told him I would like 3500 out of it.

it is 01,250f.

thanks all see ya at the races.

I live in okc,oklahoma by the way.

Mark

You should have it in time to come out and race the 03 OCCRA season. Our first race is in March. It's a 15 race series with three throw aways. That way you don't have to make all the races.

Check out the website (it's not much I admit) here OCCRA

If you want to just go trail riding that's cool too. Give me a shout.

Happy Trails

Mark

Just ordered my 03 WR today! Got it for $5179 plus tax and title ($5525 OTD). But, I do know the owner (not best friends, just been doing business for years). The dealer I went to first only came down to $5600 (my bud knows the owner there) and said he might be able to do a little better ($5500?).

The small dealer (where I bought mine) said he was only getting two in for the whole year. The bigger dealer that quoted the $5600 said he was only getting four and two were already sold. Seems like they are in short supply (or was it a big trick?).

Mark

Mark, the dealers are allocated a certain amount of each model depending on their sales volume. The price you got ($5179) is REAL good! That's the kind of price you'll see in Canada.

..Vintage....Sorry, I'm with Wrooster on this one. Since you're in the "industry" you of all people can appreciate the feeling Jim's brother felt when his "local" dealer sold his bike right out from under him. Personally I wouldn't be as nice as Jim, I'd only be waving one finger when I drove by.

With the prices of these things these days I think I'm going for the best deal next time. I've been buying bikes from my dealer for 25 years and he STILL can't give the best deal around. BUT....he would NEVER sell my bike that I had a deposit on without making sure I was still taking it! That dealer deserves to close down and make room for another that cares about the customer.

Just my $.02 🙂

Randy