3rd gear starts?????

How many of you guys do 3rd gear starts with your 426's? If you do.....what gearing do you have and how much do you weigh?

I am 165lbs and run stock gearing on my 426. I have been practicing coming off of the line with 3rd gear starts, and with the added low end from the TA pipe, my bike pulls 3rd gear pretty well. When it works right, I am much faster to the first corner than when I start in second, because I never have to shift and I have the throttle wicked w/o the whole way.

The thing that makes me nervous about it is the fact that I am more likely to stall or wheelie by doing this. I know it is serious clutch abuse also. 🙂

I was just wondering how many of you used 3rd gear starts.

Johnny

That's our best kept secret, third gear starts! I run one tooth bigger than stock on my 426 and since I've switched to third gear starts, I've been amazed at how smoothe and fast you get into the first turn. It's almost like riding an automatic once you round the turn, and pin it! Btw, I weigh 230 lb.s!

I run stock gearing and for really long straights I have used 3rd...However, holeshots need to practiced as well as doin' laps...I have gone entire months without losing a holeshot!!!!I still mainly use 2nd to start though.Practice make perfect... 🙂:D

00 yz 426