Throttle Sticking

ok i have a 01 drzs my throttle is sticking this has happend once before and i jsut cranked on the throttle hard and it was fine. but this time it did not work. it wont snap back to idle. i can turn it so it goes to idle but it wont do it iteself. i did see a post awhile back about some cable that the s called a push cable not sure if thats the problem

thanks

mike

The DRZ400 (all models) use a 2 cable system. It is a "pull - pull" cable system. The pull "open" cable, opens the throttle and the pull close cable actually just kind of "free wheels" because there is a spring that keeps tension on the "open" cable. The "close" cable is there as a safety feature to pull the throttle closed in the event that the throttle sticks. Problem is, the "close" cable is often the source of the problem. Take a look at the cables where they go around the cable drum on the carb. Pay particular attention to the "close" cable. Look for fraying. When the cable frays, it hangs up going back into the conduit. If that's not it, look for kinks along both cables and dismantle the grip to see if something is going bad in there.

If the "close" cable is bad, you have 2 choices: replace the cables (only available as a set, about $50) or just remove the "close" cable and run 1 cable. If you do decide to replace the cable set for safety reasons, I would like to have your old cables regardless of condition. I can use the hardware to make up custom cables for various applications. PM me please, Ralph.