Mounted a top box...........

I have been dealing with a tail bag for packing crap since I got this bike and it's been a love and hate relationship with it. Not enough room (I commute with this bike mainly) and have to put a cover on it when it rains. I recently was in California and borrowed a friend's bike that had a top box and I found that I enjoyed the convenience of being able to lock stuff up AND being able to remove the box easier....

Ended up buying this box off Fleabay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250266126356&rd=1

It is a Givi copy but seems well enough made and came with the mount base and hardware. Took me about 10 minutes to mount up the base and I like the end result!

Mount base...

DSCF8644.jpg

Inserting the box into the mount.....

DSCF8643.jpg

DSCF8642.jpg

DSCF8639.jpg

DSCF8640.jpg

DSCF8641.jpg

Well worth it! I can keep my rain gear AND put my laptop in it without worrying about leaving the bike somewhere or it raining now!

Clean? Christ! The reason I commute on it is because I don't care if it gets dirty, does not kill tires, and gets decent milage! I hate detailing my other bikes when I get caught in rain, so I use the DR instead.

Tires?

Those are the Maxxis Promaxx 6102/6103's and love them. They handle pretty much everything the bike can dish out and don't slip while pegs are scraping. Best is that they last a while too! I have a couple thousand on these and expect the rear to last at least 5K.

Nice... that does look good and yay - the price can't be beat! This seems about the same size as my Givi (see it here) but you did definitely pay less... and I have to agree, the top box on a DR works very well.

I am curious how it holds up... my Givi has been on the bike for most of 7K miles I put on it and still looks like new...

Had one of those off e-bay too. I loved it. Notice I'm using past tense. I left it on for a little offroad excursion. Needless to say, it didn't make it home. Busted into little pieces and I had to try to figure out how to get all of the stuff home that I had in it. Great for on road ? , offroad,...not so much!?

Box2.jpg