Simple (Hopefully) Clutch Question.

OK, How Did I Screw This Up?

I just lengthened the clutch arm (not the lever) on my 2001 YZ426F. I did it according to the article in the mag, whichever one it was that I posted on my site. Drained the oil, took the clutch side case cover off, took the six bolts out of the inner hub and removed the pressure plate. Pulled the shift rod just a tad, then went over and took the clutch arm out of the top of the case. Lengthened it, put things back together in reverse order, and filled her with oil.

Now, when in gear, the back wheel is locked solid even when the clutch is pulled. There is just a slight amount of freeplay in the lever, just like always, and adjusting it tighter still doesn't affect it. I started it and let it idle for a minute or three, thinking that maybe the plates need some fluid in between them or something, still, the rear wheel is locked when in gear with the clutch pulled. I'm not gonna kick it into gear with the motor running for fear of taking a sudden trip through my garage wall!

Oh, fwiw, I did actuate the clutch arm when the pressure plate was still off, and the rod moved in and out as I actuated it. Also, the clutch feel at the lever is completely normal. Stock lever and perch. Lengthened the arm 5mm exactly. If it were too long, I should have been able to adjust it out when I tightened the cable way too much. My previous mod was machining a pivot hole in the lever about 1/4" closer to the pivot bolt on the perch which essentially amounts to the same thing as lengthening the arm. Lighter pull with a shorter throw from the clutch arm. This recent mod is better than stock, but still not quite as much of a reduced arm throw as the secondary anchor hole in the lever. I also adjusted the "barrel" adjuster right by the clutch arm for maximum pull (backed out away from clutch arm as far as it would go) and then pulled the lever, still won't let the rear wheel roll. It just drags across the garage floor.

Any ideas? What in the world could I possibly have done to mess this up?!! I only took the pressure plate, springs and screws off. I didn't pull any plates out, and like I said, I verified that the arm was moving the rod by operating it manually. The rod was moving in and out a considerable amount. I know it doesn't take much throw to release the tension on the plates.

Thanks in advance for the help!

BigLou,

you probably know this, but did you make sure the spring bolts were torqued to the right amount? they are supposed to be at 8 Newton Meters or 71 Inch Lbs.. have you tried to get on the bike, hold the clutch in and put it in gear while it is running? when i replaced the clutch on my friend's 426, it was locked up for a bit (i thought i screwed someting up) but was fine after i tried to ride it..

I guess I might have to try putting it in gear! I think I'll take it out to the back yard for that. Rather go through my fence than my garage wall! ๐Ÿ™‚ Yeah, the spring bolts are good, and they bottom out anyway, so there's no adjustment to them. They get snugged all the way down until they are in as far as they can go. I've looked at the manual to see if there is anything I could have done and just don't see it. I'll pop it into gear after I grab a hand full of brake!

I had another idea. Not sure if this would cause my problem or not, but it was mentioned that I my have lost the rod end bearing. I would think I would hear it hit the floor if I did, but anything's possible.

Oh-Wooden fence!

BigLou,

are you talking about the bearing that is part of the short pushrod assembly that is at the end of the long pushrod? it goes long push rod, short pushrod(consisting of that little cap that goes on the long pushrod, then the bearing, washer and cirlip) and the pressure plate is on top of that short pusrod assembly.. (the short pushrod thing is 3 pieces held together with the circlip) i would double check and make sure all the parts are there before i try to put into gear with the bike running.. better safe than sorry.. besides, i think you would rather work on your bike than the fence! :D

and wood is good! ๐Ÿ™‚

I meant to say "Ball" bearing. Yes, the small round ball bearing at the end of the push rod. I did take that shorter push rod (as the manual refers to it) off and look it over. I suppose the ball could have fallen out then. For all the knowledge I've gained over the past couple years, I sure wish I knew clutch operation better. Of course, I have a feeling I'm about to!

Biglou..

ah. yeah, that little could be the culprit it doesn't take much to disengage the plates.... and if you were to take the clutch apart completely, it is very easy to figure out.. just glad someone else did it first! i hope you get it figured out! ๐Ÿ™‚

Found the problem. It was no problem! I took everything back apart, the ball was where it should have been. Put it back together and tried to turn the wheel in gear with clutch pulled again, no go still. So, took clutch cover off and actuated clutch and the plates went from tight to loose. Hmmm, maybe I should fire it up?! Poured the oil back in her and sho nuff, she is fine. Lemme tell ya, I had a handful of that front brake when I put her in gear! She just jumped a little like always and kept on running. After I shut her off, I still can't turn the wheel when in gear with the clutch in, but yanno, I never tried it before I took it apart (I don't think), so, no harm, no foul!

It lives! 69 degrees Sunday so I will be at the track!

Thanks for all the suggestions. ๐Ÿ™‚