(off topic) Good Rugged Digital Cameras ?

I did a quick search and didn't see a thread about this recently. I'd like to finally take the plunge and get a digital camera for the family for MXmas. I'd prefer to get something rugged enough that it won't mind riding in my fannypack while I'm riding. I usually take off the fannypack when riding tracks, but otherwise wear it when riding trails, including jumps whoops, etc.

What digital cameras have you folks had good luck with? What size memory do you use? I'd like long battery life (viewfinder mode easy to use), and hopefully I'd like to be able to take multiple strobe shots of jumping like I've seen posted sometimes in the forum.

Thanks for any advice you can share. Happy holidays everybody. ๐Ÿ™‚

for a low priced digital, i got the kodak dx3600. great pics, and is very tough. i just carry it in my fanny pack. i have a photoprinter that i print the pics up on, and you can't tell it from 35mm film! great video option too. as chris said, all depends on how much you want to spend. i know more expensive dig cameras with more options, but i don't know if they're as tough as this one has been! good luck. let us know how your testing goes.

Both steves-digicams and the digital camera resource page are great. Techies like me can spend days on there!

Not all digital cameras are created equal when it comes to taking high-speed action shots. Do your research and narrow it down to the ones with the best auto-focus and shutter lag times if taking riding shots is important. I just picked up the Fuji FinePix S602 Zoom for race day photos. It probably won't fit in your pack though. I've also got a point and shoot Fuji pocket camera that isn't made anymore (#MX2700). Anything above 2 mpixel can print a crisp 5x7.

Have fun with your research.

Rugged digital camera is almost oxymoronic. ๐Ÿ™‚

I recommend 2.0 megapixels as a minimum resolution. 128mb cards can be had for $50-60 at Costco. That will hold dozens of photos or a few short movies. Everything is powered off the battery, so a backup battery is handy. Canon gave me a 2nd one as part of a rebate last year.

I have a Canon 110 digital elf. I like that it is very small and has a metal case. It lives in my breif case, so I always have it handy. Also, it has a movie mode for short movie clips. I haven't taken it on a ride yet as I have trashed box cameras on rides. One local photo lab wasn't too happy when they opened up a box camera and found it packed full of dirt. (If they had seen the crash, 2 backflips in slit after I stalled on a hillclimb.) Protect the camera against dirt, water, mud, and impact! A plastic ziploc over a padded camera bag would be the minimum. A thicker plastic bag would be better.

Circuit City had Toshiba 2.0mb cameras on sale for $150 after rebate. It looks like a decent camera that you won't cry too much if you smash it. (Or get that warranty they always try to sell.) :D

The Canon S30 would be a very nice 'carry in the pack' camera (has an available waterproof case - to 100') with an easy to carry size/shape, tons of features you can grow into, easy auto modes, excellent picture quality, and can be had for $375 at BuyDig.com or Ibuydigital.com, both stores with very good reputations. If I needed one do it all camera for your uses that's the one'd I'd get.

be careful with bwayphoto, they sell alot of grey market cameras...no warranty, not US models...and have a horrible reputation for poor service and bait and switch...check wwww.resellerratings.com under broadway photo, a whopping 0-10 rating of .78, ouch.

I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. pole

The S602 works great so far. Battery life seems to be on par with other cameras. It has an excellent optical viewfinder so I don't use the display much at all. The optics present true colors too.

What sets this camera apart for me is the 6X optical zoom and the first or last five frame mode. The frame mode is a little tricky to use because you naturally want to move the camera to follow the subject which will cause you to loose focus. Once you get the hang of it you'll almost always get the perfect shot. The CCD is a true 3 Mpixel but will digitally "enhance" the image to 6 Mpixel. The file size isn't too bad at a little over 2 MB in the fine mode. I haven't printed anything over a 5x7 yet but I don't think an 8x10 would be a problem.

yeah, a friend of mine is a prof. photographer and said if you know what you're looking at and what you want to buy and don't care if they sweet talk you, they're good to go with. you're right though, places like broadway sell grey market stuff. just make sure whatever you buy has a U.S.A. warranty. he's done quite a bit of business with them, buying cameras, lens, and other equipment and had no problems. they just aren't that friendly on the phone. but i digress...btw, thanks for that site mxaddict. good info.

Just got a few weeks ago a Sony DSC-P71 Cyber shot. Measures 5"-L X 2 1/4 -H by 1 1/2 wide. I don't know a whole lot about this digital stuff but here are the specs. My niece bought one 1st and she's the type to super research everything before she buy's anything and said for the $$ you can't beat this camera with all the trick stuff on it. Like I said I don't even know what 1/2 of it means. I think it was 350.00 and got it at Best Buy. Any questions on it I'll be glad to look in the manual for you! Seem's to work fantastic!

"stamina" - battery life I guess - USB Interface and Stamina Battery Kit included!

3.2 mega pixels - pretty high I think?

mpeg movie HQX (no sound)

clip motion

muti point AF

precision digital 6X zoom

Multi burst

AF Illuminater

Clear color NR

14 bit DXP

Memory stick -16 mb

USB terminal

DPOF - ?

CD- ROM

<font color="brown">I really didn't get around to reading the directions much so if anyone knows if these features are cool or will work well for moto-x leave me know. Thanks!

To see some pictuers go to Rocket Raceway 12/11. 1st 10 are NOT from the camera. The next batch down a few post's are. They actually got CRYSTAL CLEAR and are much better then posted but this at least gives you an idea of the zoom capability of it I guess.