Sign in to follow this  

CA dual sport law?

Maybe Yamaha will take the hint and bring out the WR450R for the 2010 model year.

Yeah, I would have to take a look-see at that.:)

Yeah, he does something to the VIN# on the bike frame. Sounds kinda permanent. Wouldn't want to go that far...

On a side note, how's the clutch??

The clutch plates are still good, its the clutch actuator lever that's all screwed up. I don't know how its possible for it to get twisted the way it did. I have no theories on how or why it happened, so I ordered all new everything clutch related (except the primary gear). I'll get it going or I'll put the damn thing in the shop.

I got stuck on the big hill near the top of white mountain :) We started at 9:30, I bailed at about 2:00 after limping back 20 miles to my truck. The other two guys finished the ride at around 8pm or so after finishing the loop.

Next ride in big bear is Sept 6th. A new loop is being planned. This may be the final ride of the year up there for us. So its going to be memorable (ie brutal) . So.. be there or be square!

Maybe Yamaha will take the hint and bring out the WR450R for the 2010 model year.

But if its a bigger version of the wr250r, then I wouldn't buy it. Its too heavy.

I would want a street legal dirt bike as opposed to a dual sport bike. This is what makes the husky and ktm's so attractive.

Oh well... another month has gone by and still no love letter from the dmv.

With the Husky's and KTM's tho we already have plenty of options for dirt bikes with plates slapped on them.

I think more options for mid range true dual sports would bring a lot to the table.

Yeah, I don't know why people cling to this fantasy. You want a plated off-road bike in CA, get a KTM, Husky, DRZ, WR250X or one that was plated before Jan 31, 2004. Simple as that.:)

You mentioned the DRZ, those are what my friends bought and got the plates by luck (DRZ400e). They have since purchased the street kit and now it looks like the DRZ400s. Can these actually be made street legal or are you referring to the DRZ400s only. I wonder if these have VIN's that CA DMV will eventually reconginze and take away. I warned them from the infomation you guys gave me and they think they're not going to get caught becasue of the similarities betweet the e and the s. I called Kawasaki on my KLX and they said IMPOSSIBLE for me.

You mentioned the DRZ, those are what my friends bought and got the plates by luck (DRZ400e). They have since purchased the street kit and now it looks like the DRZ400s. Can these actually be made street legal or are you referring to the DRZ400s only. I wonder if these have VIN's that CA DMV will eventually reconginze and take away. I warned them from the infomation you guys gave me and they think they're not going to get caught becasue of the similarities betweet the e and the s. I called Kawasaki on my KLX and they said IMPOSSIBLE for me.

I have also wondered if there was anything in the VIN of a green sticker bike that makes it different than a street legal bike. I'm talking newer bikes here. For example, is the VIN of a WR250X that comes from the factory street legal, sequenced in a way that is different than say a 2007 WR450.:)

I wondered if the VIN of a WR250X that comes from the factory street legal, sequenced in a way that is different than say a 2007 WR450.:)

I bet 100 bucks there isnt a difference...remember this all boils down to "smog"

the wr250x had the paperwork done and the fees paid by the mfg (Yamaha) to make it street legal from the factory so that it was "compliant" with carb

QUESTION: if the above case is true...whats the difference between a KTM 450 that is plated and lets say a WR450 that isnt plated...i mean is the KTM in compliance and really puts out less smog or is it safe to say that they are equal.:D

QUESTION: if the above case is true...whats the difference between a KTM 450 that is plated and lets say a WR450 that isnt plated...i mean is the KTM in compliance and really puts out less smog or is it safe to say that they are equal.:)

Well, for one thing <emission wise> the Street Legal KTM's have a evaporative emission system,which no "off road" bikes currently have.As far as exhaust emissions a stock WR450 and a KTM EXC-R might be pretty close.

Well, for one thing <emission wise> the Street Legal KTM's have a evaporative emission system,which no "off road" bikes currently have.As far as exhaust emissions a stock WR450 and a KTM EXC-R might be pretty close.

Well, here is the emission testing cmparisons. They are not testing the exact same stuff but it doesn't look too far off. No evaporative testing for the WR though. Now if they just put that jug on there:excuseme:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2007/yamaha_ofmc_um0040123_449.pdf

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/hmc/2007/ktm_m0230019_448-510_1d4_hn.pdf

As of now, Law Enforcement has not been given authority or instruction to pull a plate off of a dirt bike that was given a plate by the DMV (as long as the registration is current). This could change tomorrow.

Our options to put a plate on a dirt bike are very limited. You buy a bike with a plate already on it, hope you roll the dice with someone at the DMV who will give you one in error, or register the bike out of state.

The first one can be expensive, exspecially if you already own a bike without a plate. The second one is a gamble at best and could be pulled by a rally from the fish kissing liberals in our state. The last one is risky also because you technically have 10 days once the bike is brought back to register it here. And who knows if the DMV will plate it or say sorry it doesn't meet our emission standards.

I can only speak for myself and the guys I work with. We could care less that a guy has a plated dirtbike. There are so many way more important issues out there for us to be dealing with.

I will tell you one thing. If you get a KTM and live in CA I will give you my cell #. I have a good tow strap to tow you home when you break down. :ride: OK it's a joke guys.

Plated bikes are nice, but just remember if you got it plated after the dead line DMV can come after it at any time. :worthy::D:)