how fast is the dr 650?

I own the 650 and have a good bit of seat time on my buddy's 400SM. Top end up about the same and most of the performance seems damn close to each other. Had I been able to get the SM for the same price, I would have one instead of the 650.

I was thinking about getting a new 650. The question is I would hope it is as fast as a drz400.

I've never owned a DRZ400 for comparison, but have had my "bone stock" DR650 since 2003. I can tell you that it's got plenty of power and is fast enough to satisfy any reasonable MC rider on a public street. I've had mine up to 80 MPH with plenty of throttle left. It starts getting a little unstable over 80 even with the addition of 70/30 tires. Anybody out there acually pushed a DR650 to the limit ? ?

In lowered form with stable pure street tires I have seen 120+ indicated on the stock speedo with pipe / flatslide / box mod / 16/42 . actual speed was 113 on GPS when i was running her out . With trail wings she gets unstable at a 100 indicated , with full on knobys after a true 75 gps or 80 indicated its hairy .

Fastest I could get mine was a real 98 or 99 mph (GPS). This was loaded with luggage but slightly downhill. I will try again once I have the FCR on, this time without luggage!

All my testing is done on the Autobahn, so not even illegal! ?

YEPPER - with 1 tooth lower on back sprocket, air-box mods, fat jetting, and no baffled super-crap 118 mph indicated - it is like strapping a 300hp out-board motor to your ass and jumping in the lake - it HOWLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually thought i was pushing it to hard but all it does is run run run run run - I can go 90mph to the trails (30 miles)

ride trails for 2 hours, then 90mph back home ?-

I have had mine over 100 mph indicated a few times on back country rides and it felt just fine sure there is some shake rattle and roll but what do you expect (it is not a sport bike its tall and light for those speeds) it never felt on the verge of unstable I have also had it over 80 many times on gravel and it was happy as a pig in s*&t I cant wait to see how much better it will get with springs

Fastest I could get mine was a real 98 or 99 mph (GPS). This was loaded with luggage but slightly downhill. I will try again once I have the FCR on, this time without luggage!

All my testing is done on the Autobahn, so not even illegal! ?

Lukas, you better do your speed runs before you get that big fat Safari tank that is on it's way to you! LOL. I'm thinkin that porker of a tank might induce some drag.

Anybody out there acually pushed a DR650 to the limit ? ?

***? i'm more concerned there are people who havn't. I've had mine up to 170kph or 105mph in bone stock form that includes stock trailwings. The other day my number plate fell off so I thought why the hell not, best opportunity and i'm gonna get pulled over 1 way or another so i'll do a runner. Held it flat doing 155-160. It was 1am on a long stretch of highway so basically deserted. And yep it howls nicely, sounds more like angels singing

As for the instability thing, heres a piece of advise for all of you that hasn't failed me yet. If you start to get headshake stick your elbows out horizontally and it'll stabilise the front end. And sit back and duck right down as far as you can if you want to squeeze that extra bit of speed out of it