attn: ACS, GRIMACE, Realfast

I have a friend who may be getting a 1983 TT 600 here in california. He is going to trade labor for the bike, would it be worth $800-$900. Motor seems strong and it starts first kick. He had some specific questions like are parts available? Where is the oil drain plug? Where is the fill tube and is there a dipstick? What kind of bike is this? Any other ideas about where to find info. Thanks

Its a trail bike. Should be white plastics (but I'm describing Aussie version so it may be a bit different) with red bits and black frame. Tank was plastic here. Motor is slimmer in width to the XT600 motor as flywheel is smaller. 5 speed box, bullet proof clutch. A lot of IT 2 stroke parts fit in gearbox but most boxes are strong. Shock is not rebuildable but it can be done but requires a bit of machining so check the shock out for leaks. They are a strong motor and if it starts easily its probably in fairly good condition. Should be front drum brake. Suspension is soft but OK. Pull off the tyres as the rims had a tendancy to corode as the aluminum was soft (maybe poor quality)and check out the inner rim closely. Flaking of chunks on aluminum was common. Oil drain from memory is under bike and it has an oil tank on side under the side cover. Its a dry sump. Start it up let it idle for a couple of minutes, stop and check the oil level with the dipstick loose in the hole, not screwed in. Has an oil filter on the LH side of engine. Parts should be available via Yamaha and I think there is an aftermarker Clymer or Haynes manual for them. Factory manual should be available. Hope this helps. Grimaces bike is a much later version of it and has a XT bottom end in comparison.

Its a trail bike. Should be white plastics (but I'm describing Aussie version so it may be a bit different) with red bits and black frame. Tank was plastic here. Motor is slimmer in width to the XT600 motor as flywheel is smaller. 5 speed box, bullet proof clutch. A lot of IT 2 stroke parts fit in gearbox but most boxes are strong. Shock is not rebuildable but it can be done but requires a bit of machining so check the shock out for leaks. They are a strong motor and if it starts easily its probably in fairly good condition. Should be front drum brake. Suspension is soft but OK. Pull off the tyres as the rims had a tendancy to corode as the aluminum was soft (maybe poor quality)and check out the inner rim closely. Flaking of chunks on aluminum was common. Oil drain from memory is under bike and it has an oil tank on side under the side cover. Its a dry sump. Start it up let it idle for a couple of minutes, stop and check the oil level with the dipstick loose in the hole, not screwed in. Has an oil filter on the LH side of engine. Parts should be available via Yamaha and I think there is an aftermarker Clymer or Haynes manual for them. Factory manual should be available. Hope this helps. Grimaces bike is a much later version of it and has a XT bottom end in comparison.

I had a TT250 that I bought for $50 in a box. It was a fun bike to ride. I lost it in a mud hole. the bike kept sinking, the more I tried to pull it out the deeper it sunk in. I tied a string to the handle bar and left it there. I came back the next day with a friends Toyota 4x4 to pull it out but no luck. It was gone, it's probably in Australia by now. Hey ACS maybe you'll find it someday. It has a 1974 CR250 front end on it.

True story!

I'm serious

When I came back the next day all you could see was the string tied to a piece of wood. We tried to dig it out and pull with his winch but it didn't even budge just kept sinking more it was about 3 feet under when we left it. The bike wasn't even lying on it side it was stuck right side up.

So ACS just look for 2 wheels sticking out of the sand (or mud)oh and a pair of shoes and a pair of boots.

True story!