Confusion on Exhaust Pipes

OK originally on the OFF ROAD.COM project CRF450, Kevin Gorzny stated that the FMF Ti-4 System rips rating an 8 out of 10. Now on the same site under the pipe test Kevin Gorzny states that the FMF Ti-4 is a middle of the road performer? I am leaning towards the Pro Circuit now, has anyone used this full system or slip-on with real results? Last year I ran the BBR slip-on and loved the performance but it came apart 2 times and at the last race of the year on the last lap it broke again, so I am done with BBR. Anyone using the Pro Circuit please post your results or email me before I order, thanks!

The 8 out of 10 is accurate for the full FMF Ti-4 w/powerbomb, it works very well. I ran one all of last year and it was great, a huge improvement down low and longer top end runout with quick throttle response. Mine was also very tough, and it lived through some serious abuse!

I now have the WB Ramsey on my '03 and it does work great, but not really that much better than the FMF from last year. I'd run that FMF again any day.

Here is the "real" deal. Explanation: The FMF system was tested ALONE at first. Right off the bat, it did seem like a great improvement.

A few months went by and then the Exhaust Comparison test was conducted. Once it was tested among other competitors, it put the reality in a better perspective. The FMF is good, but the White Bros. Race System, Pro Circuit and Yoshimura TRS systems all prevailed over the FMF. The best all-around system is the Pro-Circuit when looking at versatility, price and peformance. The PC unit has an end cap which allows for a spark arrestor (so does the FMF). But you better hope that if an official stops you on the trail, he left his decibel meter at home (the PC system is the LOUDEST).

We did a lot of testing. Each individual may have different opinions, but this was a completely un-biased test. In conclusion: when the test was over, I kept the Pro Circuit.

I'll be purchasing the FMF Ti-4 Slip-on. With the exception of the WB Race System, I could not justify the marginal increase in performance of a full system over a slip-on for my '03. The full systems had more of an impact on the '02 models where in stock form the power was deficient down low.

As far as the WB Race System is concerned, they only manufacture them in limited quantities (25 at a time) because they are constantly revising them for improved performance (which is good). However, after a few hundred, they will stop making them. That means forget about buying relacement sections or even a total replacement when they stop.

With the FMF (and other slip-ons) you maintain the stock titanium header with the heat shield, and can rebuild/replace it whenever necessary to do so. You also lose a few pounds and gain a few HP.

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH GARY JONES FROM WHITE BBOS. THE RAMSEY IS A THROW AWAY PIPE,THEY USE IT FOR TWO RACES AND DUMP IT. IT IS FOR RACING ONLY. HE TOLD ME HE DID NOT KNOW THEY EVEN SOLD IT.IF YOU WANT A WHITE BROS GET THE R4 GARY SAID IT HAS GREAT POWER. THAT IS WHAT I WAS TOLD.DONT BLAME THE MESSENGER.

I've had my Race series for about six months now and it looks as good as new. The power increase is incredible. However I got an absolutelely amazing deal on it or I would have gone PC. The PC is close enough in performance and blows away the race series in price.

Not to be a killjoy but I've found that correct jetting and gearing will make more of a difference than an aftermarket exhaust system on the newer 4 strokes

I don't know about "newer 4 strokes" in general but I do know about my '02 CRF... I added two teeth to the rear sprocket and that helped but what really made the bike come alive was the Yoshimura Tri-Oval exhaust. The bike was "sleepy" at low rpm (I guess that's why they changed the cam to more bottom end for '03) but with the Yosh it rips hard right off the bottom. On Dirt Rider's exhaust shootout it gained 4hp at low rpm, maintained the strong stock midrange, and then added close to 4hp on the top end as well. I had my exhaust before this shootout came out and it only confirmed what my seat of the pants had already told me. By the way, it's also 3.8 pounds lighter than stock. Try and do that with "jetting and gearing"! 🙂