crf230 jetting help

I need some jetting advice for a 2003 crf 230. I've read the post on Honda's recommendation for track use with the baffle removed, but I'd like to keep the bike quiet. Also any tips on how to get the needle out once I take the cover off. Thanks for the help.

after you take the top off there is a screw connected to the throttle linkage inside the carb, take it out then the slide should move up then take off the little spring and move the connector to one side and the throttle linkgage the other way and the piece that connects the two should come out.. then you can pull the slide all the way out.. then there is two little screws you have to take out then you can take the needle out of the slide make sure that the little spring on top of the needle gets back to were it suppose to be and also dont forget the little spring that connects the slide to the linkage.

JimL,

Was wondering how you like the 230? I am torn between the 150F and the 230F, on one hand I am sure that the 230 has more power, on the other 150F can be run in minis.

Did you happen to ride a 150F for comparision? AAny thoughts would be appreciated.

Of course getting a 230f is impossible here in the Dallas area. I am jonesing hard for a dirt bike to get back into things.

Thanks

Scott

Scott, the crf230 is my sons and he loves it. He is 14, 5'1" and weighs 110. The power is good and so is the handling. The 230 has full size tires and we ride tight woods with lots of rocks and roots and mud holes. The 230 rolls over it all. Both the 230 and the 150 are heavy. Ive never ridden a 150 and would guess that it is similar to my sons ttr125 but slightly taller and heavier.IMO the ttr125l Would be worth a look. Even if you got it with electric start(really nice when you stall it on the side of a hill)it would still be lighter than the crf 150. The crf 230 fits the bill for that in between rider. Too big for a crf150 or ttr125l and too small for a 250. hope this helps.

all i did was pull the top off the air box and the baffle out of the rear exaust then i put the clip in the lowest position raising the needle all the way and it seems to run fine for my wife it her bike we are at around 1000to3000 feet in elev.. also when you take the baffle out it does not effect the spark arrestor so you are still legal.. the noise increases though...

JimL

did you try the mods that were suggested?? and if so? did they work well?

Picked up the 230F on Sat.. rode it all day Sunday. Have to say even for my big butt, it rocked, I too prefer the tight woods and I have to say, it was the ticket. Suspension was a little soft, but never bottomed it out, even at full tilt through the rocks and tress.

Of course I am comparing it to my old circa 1984 YZ250.

All the nay sayers are missing the boat.

Thanks

Scott

With the intake and exhaust baffles removed I have the power up needle installed in the middle clip position, a 125 main and a 45 slow jet along with a BBR rev box that did eliminate the sputter at WOT. I does run pretty good at these settings but feel that the mid or neelde section needs some work. I am going to try the original needle and or raising the power up needle, need more time.

Hope this helps. Any help from others would be great.

Garth

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a CRF230 recently and am looking to find out what success you guys have had with the rejet.

Did you actually remove the airbox lid or the screen inside the airbox ? I assume the screen is a fire baffle but would like a little input to be sure. The dealer I bought it from seemed to think the restrictor the power up bulletin refers to is between the carb and intake, rather than the airbox lid. I kinda doubt it but I don't know for sure. The exhaust restrictor is easy to figure out, but I figure if I am going to uncork it I may as well do it all at once before a rejet.

Where did you guys find the power now mod kits ? Nobody in North Texas seems to even know what they are.

Have any of you tried the BBR ignition to remedy the banging out at WOT ? Are any others available ?

Which handguards, skidplate and air filters are you guys using ?

Have any of you changes the drive gearing yet ? Or tried any of the aftermarket pipes ?

Thanks for the info guys

LoneStar

well this is what I did to my wifes crf230f. The dealer gave me a tech bulletin showing what to hop up.

remove the airbox restictor ( leave the screen in) this restrictor is located under the seat in the top part of the air box. Just pull it up and out. There is no restrictor between the carb and engine.

remove the baffle from the muffler

replace the jet and needle set with part number 16012-KPS-921 put the clip in the middle position

replace the main jet with part number 99113-GHB-1320

these are all factory part numbers.

the main jet is a 132 I also purchased a 130 and 135 just to see which works best but the 132 worked perfectly.

THe bike has tons more power now and sounds a lot better, the only disadvantage is it is a bit more picky on choke setting when cold now.

I hope this helps

I just picked up my new 230F the other day. This is what I have done so far.

Removed the airbox restrictor and boot.

Cut out the screen between the filter and carb...this is there to protect the filter in the event of a flame shooting back from the carb..it is not necessary.

Removed the exhaust restrictor.

Installed a 48 pilot jet.

Raised the stock needle one notch.

fuel screw @ 1.5 turns.

Throttle response is greatly improved.

I will be installing a larger main jet as soon as I get the BBR pipe.