450EXC on Motocross track?

I am seriously considering buying a 450EXC, I have a YZ426 now and am wondering what the KTM will be like on the track?

I do 80% woods and 20% track, and the track riding is not serious its just playing around.

What can I expect from the bike on the track, what can I do to make it a little better and lighter?

I ride mine at the track and have no problems with the weight or the handling. In fact my bike in stock form was hanging with most of the bikes out there including my friends CR500. It doesn't feel as fast because it lacks that nasty power hit the Yamaha has but it moves out just as good and with more control. The new seat design let's you get way up over the tank, even better than some of the older two stroke 250's. Change the Clamps to 18's and put a scotts on it and you will smile every time you ride. You need to change the front and rear springs and dial in the suspension and you are good to go. You may also want to change the gearing. I put a 13 front counter sprocket on which was just right for me. In my opinion it's the pefect bike for 80% woods 20% track. You won't be sorry if you go with the 450EXC! You just need to turn the clickers a few times before you hit the track.

The MXC has a wider tank & is not lighter. You can get SX plastics, even remove battery & such to save weight. It's not like it's hard to kick start. For 20 % track, I would say EXC with susp dialed in for you & your style. If your need clear that big triple, well different story. I rode always rode track bikes for trail before & for me the exc is the best choice I ever made. 10%track, 50 desert. 40% trail. 🙂

If you are doing 80% woods and 20% track then go with the EXC or the MXC. I have the 450 EXC and use it about the same ratio. The bike works fine on a motocross track as long as you do not try any major doubles or big jumps. I ride Washougal with no problems and just bump up my front and rear suspension two or three clicks.

But if the majority of your ridding is in the woods then stick with the EXC or MXC it will work better for you.

Just my opinion.

Lee

I take my 520 on the MX track all the the time and have a blast. My trail to track ratio is about the same as yours. I find with simple suspension adjustments I can have fun in either venue. Yes they are heavier than MX-specific bikes. No, they are not perfect for the track (especially ones with doubles). However, on a more natural terrain track (tabletops, like where I ride) the suspension is fine for my expectations and abilities. For the track I remove the lights (easy to do) and slap an Acerbis numberplate on the front (looks like OEM). Until I start it with the button, no one knows it's not an SX (aftermarket graphics help the deception). I believe a new 450 would turn tighter than mine for even more fun.

IMO there is no more versatile bike on the market. An RFS will do whatever you ask of it and do it well. Trail one weekend. MX the next. Desert race, dual sport, hare scramble or enduro after that. While not perfect in every application, it's as close as one can purchase off a dealer floor at this point. I'll give up the weight to get the button and a have a slightly softer suspension to get the versatility. Remember, I only want it stiffer 20% of the time and for me the clickers cover that need quite well

the exc is an excellent enduro bike. the yz is an excellent mx bike. whatever you do, don't compre the exc to the yz on the track. you want an excellent bike for the track and woods? get a track bike for the track, get a woods bike for the woods. (yeah, i know you know this already).

so, i ride my 450 exc (got maybe 7hrs on it) on the track a little. haven't touched the suspension yet, but it needs to be 'touched' for the track. cased a very small double last saturday and buried the footpegs. the power is good enough, maybe not as squirty as a good track bike (tranny?).

anyways, mostly woods? exc will excel. you'll be excelling for 80% of your riding. nuff sed.