Sign in to follow this  

Work Performance shock "NEW FIND???"

Okay completing some more research here before I make my final shock decisions. Did some more shock searches and came up with an interesting find.

BrentL posted a anacdotal comment about using an XR600 remote resevior shock in a 230 conversion with a USD front end (couldn't remember which XR600R shock he sourced though). I was like :thumbsup:

So I go to Works Performance's site and take a look, here is what I find:

The "Ultra Cross" works shock for the 85-87 XR600R is 15.13 inches (same as CRF230F "Pro Series" works shock)

Both the "Pro Series" for the 230 and the XR600R "Ultra Cross" shock are remote resevior shocks.

The 230F is a "Pro Series" mini shock with the option of high/low speed compression, but the XR600R shock is an "Ultra Cross" shock with 18 clicker rebound adjustment and high/slow speed compression adjustment.

It appears that while the "Pro Series" is a mini shock, it looks like a big boy XR600R "Ultra Cross" shock also will work.

Does anybody have any idea whether the Big Boy "Ultra Cross" shock is a better buy suspension wise for the extra $200??? Got me to thinking...

Anybody have experience with both the "Pro Series" mini and the "Ultra Cross" Are they the same shock, but mini vs full size applications?

I will start by saying I do not have any experience with wither of these two shocks but you might look into the springs. Both shocks are the same length but do they use the same diameter spring? That might be the difference. Also the 600 weighs almost twice as much and needs a much heavier spring and that spring will need a lot more dampening. So even if you could get a spring light enough you would need to get the shock revalved to work well with the bike and that would just be more $. Just my 2cents.

Okay completing some more research here before I make my final shock decisions. Did some more shock searches and came up with an interesting find.

BrentL posted a anacdotal comment about using an XR600 remote resevior shock in a 230 conversion with a USD front end (couldn't remember which XR600R shock he sourced though). I was like :ride:

So I go to Works Performance's site and take a look, here is what I find:

The "Ultra Cross" works shock for the 85-87 XR600R is 15.13 inches (same as CRF230F "Pro Series" works shock)

Both the "Pro Series" for the 230 and the XR600R "Ultra Cross" shock are remote resevior shocks.

The 230F is a "Pro Series" mini shock with the option of high/low speed compression, but the XR600R shock is an "Ultra Cross" shock with 18 clicker rebound adjustment and high/slow speed compression adjustment.

It appears that while the "Pro Series" is a mini shock, it looks like a big boy XR600R "Ultra Cross" shock also will work.

Does anybody have any idea whether the Big Boy "Ultra Cross" shock is a better buy suspension wise for the extra $200??? Got me to thinking...

Anybody have experience with both the "Pro Series" mini and the "Ultra Cross" Are they the same shock, but mini vs full size applications?

Being that Works sets the shock up to match your weight, bike and riding style I don't seen an advantage, or reason to use the 600 shock. Like vaca450 said, the XR600 is way heavier, which requires a heavier spring to act the same. More than likely far too stiff for the little 230. I don't understand why you would want to spend the extra money myself. I've ridden a Works equipped 230, and they perform amazingly.

I don't like to spend money for no reason, however if there was some reason that the Ultra Cross was superior to the Pro Series, it is worth considering spending the additional $$$ to get a better suspension.

go with the pro series designed for the 230. I use it with 100% satisfaction. bike now squats like a race bike rather then feeling like your riding on jello. once the rear is better it really brings out the weakness of the front, so you'll have to get some inverted forks as well. go with the higher end model with the adjustable compression clicker on the reservoir.