Bio diesel.

Don't know if Bio diesel is widely available in the States but with fuel prices here I've been using it in my Mitsubishi pick-up which at 19mpg is not good for a 2.5 turbo.

Problem is I now get through so many fuel filters that I'm not sure it's worth it. They just keep blocking up with a jelly like substance. Just wondered if any of you guys knew anything about fuels derived from vegetable oil and why it affects filters like this.

if it wvo or waste vegetable oil it will gel when it gets cold,(you may need a second tank for wvo and a tank heater) but if its real b100 it will clean your fuel lines and clog up a filter real quick, hopefully your fuel lines are compatible with bio. Once it cleans out the lines all should be well, works fine on my duramax

if it wvo or waste vegetable oil it will gel when it gets cold,(you may need a second tank for wvo and a tank heater) but if its real b100 it will clean your fuel lines and clog up a filter real quick, hopefully your fuel lines are compatible with bio. Once it cleans out the lines all should be well, works fine on my duramax

Where do you get bio-diesel in Ca.?

It is wvo which is processed by a company with methanol etc so should be good. Fuel lines are good for bio. I thought they may have been skimping on the processing which was causing the gel in the filter. Would a cheap inline filter between tank and main filter help? Thanks.

It is wvo which is processed by a company with methanol etc so should be good. Fuel lines are good for bio. I thought they may have been skimping on the processing which was causing the gel in the filter. Would a cheap inline filter between tank and main filter help? Thanks.

If you're going to continue to run bio, I would suggest a spin on inline filter assembly that utilizes a common, easy to come by filter.

What temps are you operating at? If it's mid 70'sF or more, and you're getting a gelatin substance in there after more than half a dozen tanks, that leads me to believe the culprit is the fuel.

If you're going to continue to run bio, I would suggest a spin on inline filter assembly that utilizes a common, easy to come by filter.

What temps are you operating at? If it's mid 70'sF or more, and you're getting a gelatin substance in there after more than half a dozen tanks, that leads me to believe the culprit is the fuel.

Supposed to be summer here...if that happens! Doesn't seem to matter about ambient temps. Last filter was changed about a month ago in a really warm period and fillter was thick with gel. I'll try the inline filter and see if I can find a different supply of fuel.

Where do you get bio-diesel in Ca.?
I dunno. Last I heard there was a fight over road taxes on the stuff.

We used to have a card lock fuel place that had it. We bought 10 gallons of it for our steam cleaner at work but it wouldn't fire on the stuff. I put the 10 gallons in my Peterbilt and didn't notice anything new/ strang/better/worse but it was mixed with about 90 gallons of regular diesel.

if the bio wasnt washed, the left over NAOH, or KOH will cause a gelatin substance to form. Ask them if they wash the bio. If not, then either wash it yourself or find a new source. I have been running straight veg in a two tank system in my 6.5 chevy for about 5 months. So far the only problems are a little power loss and excessive appetite.:ride:

if the bio wasnt washed, the left over NAOH, or KOH will cause a gelatin substance to form. Ask them if they wash the bio. If not, then either wash it yourself or find a new source. I have been running straight veg in a two tank system in my 6.5 chevy for about 5 months. So far the only problems are a little power loss and excessive appetite.:ride:

I've since learned that they've been rushing the process and I guess that might mean it's not been washed properly. When you say 'straight veg' is that pure cooking oil....unprocessed? Know several people who run this but without a tank heater cold starting is a pain. Does it harm the pump etc? Over here we're allowed to use about 600 gallons a year before paying any tax on it.