250 or 250f?

Acreed with mxpower.. im comming off an 04 yz250f.. and i seriously dont see what the hype is all about with these boring and smooth 4 strokes. so i got me an 05 yz250.. and ill tell ya what most fun i have ever had ridin a bike. Also new ama rules for amature racing u can now race a 250 2 stroke with the 250f. Plus if the 250f blows up.. its gunna be pretty expensive.

Found this article intresting if u wanna check it out - http://www.eternaltwostroke.com/2008/04/arm-and-leg.html

AMA amature rules put 250 2 strokes in the same class as the 250F's. Too bad the thumpers killed hte 2 strokes due to an exploitd old rule. If it were that way(cc agains equeal cc) from the start they may never have gotten a foot hold.

If you have a YZ250 then I'd go out and slaughter the 250F's. The shoe is on the other foot as it were.

Motocross Magazine just came out with a great article comparing the YZ 250 and YZf 250. Yes the 2 stroke has 12 more horse and similar torque but lap times were still the same. 250f is way smoother and although it feels slower your actually going just as fast.

I've read the same article, but I think at an amature level, the Yz250 would be the way to go. Not EVERYONE can use a bike to their full potential.

I'd have to say it is all on your riding style whether you are an amateur or a pro. I own a 2006 KX250f. I just sold my 01' YZF426. I love the 250f. It is still smooth but very light. As light as my buddy's RM250. We swap bikes every now and then and time eachother and my lap times are considerable faster on my 250f. I'm not a pro but it just suites me better. I will admit that when riding his and sliding it into the corners and roosting my way out is a ton of fun but it is much easier for an average rider to be faster on the newer 4-strokes. Yes they are expensive to rebuild but these are all race bikes and if you take care of them they will last depending on how you ride them. If you are bounching off the rev limiter constantly I would say go with the 2-smoke. I had 138 hours on my 426 with the origional top end. compression was just under stock levels and the valves were adjusted twice but checked often. (hinch I wasn't on the rev limiter constantly).

The 2-stroke is fun.... the 4-stroke is fun.... you have to decide which one YOU like better regardless of how many 4-stroke guys bag on the 'Old' 2-smokes and regardless of how many 2-smokers gripe about the 4-strokes. Be thankful that we have so many choices and, eventhough they are they are dwindling, we still have places to ride!

Either way send us some action pics of whichever ride you go with!!!!?

Well put lftdjeep426 yes the 250f is smoother and yes it is easier to go faster on.. with the 2 stroke it takes a bit of skill to go fast on them. I love the 4 strokes but then again sometimes i wish they never came along.. b/c sometimes anyone beginner or not can hop on one and be fast b/c they are so easy to ride where as 2 strokes it takes skill from the rider to go fast.

Well put lftdjeep426 yes the 250f is smoother and yes it is easier to go faster on.. with the 2 stroke it takes a bit of skill to go fast on them. I love the 4 strokes but then again sometimes i wish they never came along.. b/c sometimes anyone beginner or not can hop on one and be fast b/c they are so easy to ride where as 2 strokes it takes skill from the rider to go fast.

I totally agree that it takes alot of skill to ride a 2-stroke (brake, clutch and throttle control). Call me ignorant but if you ride a 2-stroke and posses these skills, wouldn't that make you even faster on the 4-stroke. Besides, if a beginner can hop on one and be fast, doesn't that make for better competition? Who wants to go out on the track/trail and be able to murder all of the beginners and say how much faster they are with all of their skill. I like the fact that I have to ride hard every place I got because there are more guys that are my speed so to speak.

Just my $.02, don't take it as critisism I'm just bringing this up for conversation. I've owned both and love both for different reasons. I just think the 4-strokes make for better competition. ?